PDA

View Full Version : Question about ukulele sizes

allisson
09-27-2015, 05:52 AM
I'm a complete beginner at music and ukulele and i'm without a hobby, so i was thinking in learn ukulele.
but there is a problem i prefer the sound of concert ukuleles, and the most content in the web is about sopranos.

my question is if a buy a concert ukulele i can use the tutorials/books that are written for sopranos.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
09-27-2015, 05:55 AM
Yes, you can. Concert and soprano ukes are both tuned the same way.

Have a great time playing uke!

Mivo
09-27-2015, 07:26 AM
I think Canadian schools use the ADF#B tuning for sopranos, which was commonly used in the first half of the last century. But by far the most resources on the net (and pretty much all modern English ukulele books) are for the GCEA (re-entrant) tuning, which is the same for concert and soprano ukes, as mentioned above.

In short, yes, you'll be totally fine! :) The ukulele is a fantastic hobby -- excellent choice!

k0k0peli
09-27-2015, 08:34 AM
As said above, sopranos and concerts are usually tuned the same, and so are tenors. Some parts of the world are into the brighter a D F #b tuning while those in the US and other places are more commonly detuned a whole step to g C E a. (In this notation, 'a' is an octave higher than 'A'.)

These are re-entrant tunings, where the 3rd string (C) is unexpectedly lower than the 4th string (g). Many players prefer a linear tuning like G C E a obtained by replacing the hi-g string with a low-G. But the 'ukulele standard is re-entrant.

As said, most modern literature in the Anglish language focuses on re-entrant g C E a tuning. That literature applies equally to sopranos, concerts, and tenors. (I won't go into baritones here except to say they're usually tuned different. Forget them for now.) Any modern book will work with any 'uke you choose. Have fun!