Tiple string spacing...

Dusepo

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am building a tiple. Does anyone here have one and can tell me the nut width and the distance between the 3 strings in each course?
I need to stop them interfering with each other, but at the same time being close enough to fret cleanly together.
The more answers the better, so i can get a good idea. :)
Thanks in advance.

Mine is (I suspect) a 1920's Regal copy of a Martin. Using non-digital measuring devices my imperfect eyes see the nut width is 40mm and string spacing within courses is ~2mm. Distance from edges to outermost strings is ~2mm. Distance from string 2 (G course) to string 3 (C course), and from string 8 (E course) to string 9 (A course) is 8mm, while the distance from string 5 (C course) to string 6 (E course) is 6mm. It looks like the nut was cut so that the outer courses could be tripled also, to convert the beast to a 12-string like my cuatro-menor.

Last edited:
Scary - I JUST drilled my bridges today, and glued one of them on - two Tiples on the bench.

At the Bridge, 1/8" between strings on each course. Since my scale is 17", the first and last course have the inner string at standard spacing, with the outer string 1/8" wider at the bridge. The inner courses are centered from there.

Sorry, didn't do the nut yet, but I'm thinking 1/16" between strings.

Bridge spacing between strings 1/8", nut spacing between strings 1/16".

On the bridge, the inner string on the 1st and 4th courses match up with my Tenor 4 string location, and the outer string is 1/8" out from there. The two inner courses are spaced evenly, each course taking up 1/4" for 3 strings. Sorry, no exact measurement right now - I use a center finding ruler and space them.

On the nut, the out strings are spaced 1/32" out from centerline of Tenor spacing. The inner courses have the middle string set ON the Tenor location, with the octaves 1/16" out each side.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom