Ukes for Kids

Nickie

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever played for a Ukes for Kids program like the one in GB?
I'm interested in getting it started here, I have a contact in a children's hospital already.
Any insights?

I'm interested in getting it started here, I have a contact in a children's hospital already.
Any insights?

I don't have any experience in this area, but I recall that fellow UU brother Krabbers was involved in something like this in this past, if not the actual program you are referring to, over in the UK.

Maybe send him a PM and see if he can point you in the right direction.

Also, kudos to YOU Nickie, I think it's a wonderful and selfless act for you to take on something like this. Thank you! :)

Just in case if Krabbers is unable to help, maybe also send a PM to fellow UU brother Bazmaz, since he is in the UK also, and might be familiar with these kinds of happenings there. FYI - BazMaz runs the web site gotaukulele.com and might also have links for this 'Ukes For Kids' program in the UK on his site...

They are both regular contributors to this forum.

Hope this helps!

Mickie,
I am exploring the idea with a large Childerns
Hospital in this area. They are getting a musical therapy program going which I think is a first and necessary step
Cliff

It's great that you want to get involved in helping hospitalized children! If you're thinking about the UK group that brings ukuleles to hospitalized children, it's called the Ukulele Kids Club, and it has a United States affiliate in Florida. Here's its website: https://ukcuk.wordpress.com/. Through this program, kids are taught to play ukuleles, and given an ukulele to take home with them if they take to it, through their hospitals' music therapy program. The best way for ordinary people like me to help is to provide funding so the group can donate ukuleles to hospitals for distribution to children.

As for playing music for hospitalized children, the ukulele group to which I belong in the Bay Area has approached a hospital about giving a performance for hospitalized children and we were told, as Osprey indicates, that people who are allowed to do this almost invariably have music therapy training.

Any insights?

I would like to see something like that in North Carolina. I don't know of any hospitals that have a musical therapy program. My goal is to pass on old kids songs that I learned as a kid to today's kids. I think that would be something to look in to though. Maybe a hospital near where i live has something like that.

Ukulele Kids Club is pretty active on Facebook. I see posts there all the time. It is really great how they are reaching out to kids. Wonderful that you are trying to get something like this started! I don't think you need a music therapy degree to bring joy to a child, just a loving and giving heart!

Ukulele Kids Club is pretty active on Facebook. I see posts there all the time. It is really great how they are reaching out to kids. Wonderful that you are trying to get something like this started! I don't think you need a music therapy degree to bring joy to a child, just a loving and giving heart!

Hospitals are pretty careful about whom they entrust with children, especially sick children who may be emotionally fragile. It's my understanding that the Ukulele Kids Club operates only through musical therapy programs. If a hospital doesn't have a formal musical therapy program, I'm almost certain it has some person dedicated to the emotional needs of sick children. I imagine that if you want to go to a hospital and perform for the children, you have to do it through someone who's there who deals with this sort of thing.

Top Bottom