Taking an Uke to the SNOW!!!

gotrice415510

Reaction score
So im goin up to tahoe this weekend and i want to take my Kala KA-TG to tahoe for the cabin. Im thinking that taking it to the snow is a no no, but im gonna bored. Its not a solid wood, its a laminate.

big fat no. unless you have a case and just leave it in the cabin cuz i brought mine up to zypher and it was fine. lol

you shouldn't have any problems other than tuning issues, it will go out of tune with the temp swings and altitude didn't hurt my KA-S (it's been to 14,000)
My basement where I play swings from 52 to 68 deg and I have to tune all the time cuz of it.
I play my KA-T outside when its cold here in denver and it's been left in my truck for a few hours at about 10-20 deg. nice thing about having a laminate.

Now if I only didn't have to worry about humidity it was 10% to 30% yesterday, I wish I was brave enough to take my KoAloha outside.

What is this snow you speak of?

Keep it in a case with a humidifier, cold air is dry air.

it's ok

I live in Maine, which has been really cold and dry this winter. I have a solid wood uke which lives in a case with a dampit and a Herco humidifier in the winter and has done fine. I wouldn't leave it in the car overnight and I'd only take it out to play it, but being a laminate, you shouldn't have any trouble.

umm... tahoe snow.... like i mentioned in the op

LOL...I took my uke to Toledo, Ohio and it was -4 and it came back to sunny diego just fine! Make sure you have a case though and if your'e flying, I suggest you take it as a carry on!

Wouldn't recommend it. I brought my cheap Harmony out into the snow to film a couple seconds of footage for a video, and the parts where the finish was missing got really nasty from being wet.

Yeah... took my Flea and played in the snow... no problems other than it kept going out of tune apparently because the friction tuners were too cold.

You should be fine with a laminate uke. Here's my experience. I snowshoed into a yurt at Christmas several times with a laminate guitar. I would strap it in its gig bag to my backpack. My wife, dog and I would snowshoe for about 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours depending on the weather. We went from 2600 feet to over 5500 feet. Temperatures started at mid twenties. I could get the yurt up to the 80's quite easily with the wood stove.

The first year I was nervous so I let the guitar sit for several hours to get it up to room temperature. It was fine the whole trip, including hiking out in a rain/sleet/snow storm. I did wrap it in garbage bags.

The next year I decided to throw caution to the winds and as soon as we got unpacked and the fire going I pulled the guitar out and started playing. It was fine. I would play inside and out and never had a problem with it.

If you want to be safe, keep it in its case/bag until it comes up to room temperature. Keep it in a relatively stable area in the cabin (away from the outside walls/windows and away from the heat source.) If you really want to be safe bring some extra strings just in case. Having an instrument on a trip like yours will make a great trip even better.

Hope this helps.

You should be fine with a laminate uke. Here's my experience. I snowshoed into a yurt at Christmas several times with a laminate guitar. I would strap it in its gig bag to my backpack.

Everytime I go hiking with my uke in my backpack I always have this mental image of me slipping and falling on my back "CRUNCH". Never has happened though.

You should not have problem with a laminate. It might sound a little muted if you play it out in the cold (not due to your knit hat and hood).

so ive decided to bring it! But im only going to play in and around the cabin not like directly in the snow, like some of you have assumed.:p

Top Bottom