Side sound port: Does it improve the overall sound/tone of a uke?

Andy Chen

Reaction score
Or does the feature mostly serve as a "personal feedback monitor" to the player?

I have one on 2 of my 4 actively played ukes. To me, it's a nice personal monitor without noticeably impacting sound negatively. I suspect it might "cost" something in terms of volume, but both my ukes with it have plenty of volume according to people listening (vs. my being falsely led to believe so due to enhanced personal sound from the "monitor" effect).

I wouldn't not buy a uke because it didn't have one, but I would always elect to have it given the choice.

E

Thanks, Campbell. I asked because I am trying to keep down the cost of my Hive Hornet. The side sound port costs an extra $150 and I could use the money for a Mi-Si pick-up instead.

I have side sound ports on my Kinnard baritone and Boat Paddle ML tenor. I would not miss them if they weren't there and will never order a side sound port again.

One reason is that I no longer play in groups so I can hear my instruments just fine when playing solo. The side sound port wouldn't discourage me from buying a uke already made with one - like a Compass Rose.

For the same reason, mainly playing for my own pleasure, I pass on pick-ups as well.

Thanks, Campbell. I asked because I am trying to keep down the cost of my Hive Hornet. The side sound port costs an extra $150 and I could use the money for a Mi-Si pick-up instead.

I would pay extra for the SSP...pretty sure almost all of Jake's ukes(from his CR days too) have it....$150.00 a good price for it...but I guess if you play the uke plugged in all the time might not need it....

Both of my ukes have side sound ports. I don't know about improving sound quality like you asked, but they greatly increase my enjoyment of my ukes. I have partial hearing loss in my right ear and they direct the sound up at me. It is all personal preference but I would choose the side sound port. You can always add a pickup later, a side sound port though, should probably be done during the build.

I played a couple of ukes with side sound ports this summer while I was taking the uke building course on Oahu. I was quite impressed with how well the ssp projected sound up to me. If I had had the time I would've added a ssp to the uke I was building at the course.

For those who have or tested the difference as to side sound ports, play the uke with a side
Soundport open and closed then decide, many other factors come into play between different
Builds and luthiers. 150 aint too much considering how much your spending on a custom ukulele
I say get one.

YES I have 5 UKES with side ports or holes facing up at me. Have 55 UKES so far & I can tell you with authority that they DO WORK, sound I play comes right up at me, so much more enjoyment when I play yhem. They are all 5 custom for me using KOA from Big Island & local luthier in Salem, Oregon that slices them . What a joy to pick out the boards on the Island, bring them back & choose the figure on top & bottom of them all. He has made 12 so far & I have enough KOA for several more until my next trip in April for more. DO THE SIDE PORTS.
HI to Wickedwahine11 out there

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments.

Seems to be a pretty resounding thumbs-up for the side port, which is a good thing since Jake says my build has started with provisions for one.

Last edited:
I've got two tenors with side ports and 4 without, hoping for delivery of a new Little River long neck tenor tomorrow, I ordered it without the side port I just don't really notice that much difference. They do look cool though and might improve resale

I thought that was a cup holder:D... I don't know if they make a difference in the quality of sound however, most people I know who play a ukulele with a sound port do say it sounds louder, some say they are not only louder to the player but make the uke louder all together but I don't know if is because of the port or because many of them have more surface area on the top because of a smaller or offset sound hole.

If the option is available, I'd always go for a side sound port. Not only do they enhance what the player hears, but I think they may add to the overall sound (think Stereo). However, a nicely built instrument will also sound great without one.

I have never heard a Luthier say the SSP enhances the sound of an instrument, only that it lets the player get better feedback.
Andy, you know I love them and have included one in all my commissions since getting one on my Boat Paddle ML. But that is neither here nor there as a few commenters have mentioned, such as no longer playing in a group and therefore they can hear what their playing well or playing the uke most of the time through an amp so no need for it there either. When I play with the group, I really can tell the difference, say between my BP with a sound port and my MM without a sound port. IMO, even when I play at home I still prefer the SSP, but that is only my opinion.

I recognise your conundrum though, adding all those nice optional extras can quickly double the cost. I'm facing the same challenge with my up coming Beau Hannam Players model. I have added so many extras and want to add a few more before Beau starts, I feel I might as well go all in and just order his next price level instrument. You only live once and I can afford to go on a diet and not eat for a month or two. That's one strategy for getting slimmer and owning a better instrument at the same time. lol

I have never heard a Luthier say the SSP enhances the sound of an instrument, only that it lets the player get better feedback.
Andy, you know I love them and have included one in all my commissions since getting one on my Boat Paddle ML. But that is neither here nor there as a few commenters have mentioned, such as no longer playing in a group and therefore they can hear what their playing well or playing the uke most of the time through an amp so no need for it there either. When I play with the group, I really can tell the difference, say between my BP with a sound port and my MM without a sound port. IMO, even when I play at home I still prefer the SSP, but that is only my opinion.

I recognise your conundrum though, adding all those nice optional extras can quickly double the cost. I'm facing the same challenge with my up coming Beau Hannam Players model. I have added so many extras and want to add a few more before Beau starts, I feel I might as well go all in and just order his next price level instrument. You only live once and I can afford to go on a diet and not eat for a month or two. That's one strategy for getting slimmer and owning a better instrument at the same time. lol

You've got that right: $150 in the context of a $3,500 instrument may not seem like a lot, but it all adds up.Sigh...

Some have observed that a side port seems to "open" up the tone, and I think I can understand why this is said: It's like Rakelele: Perhaps the side port has a stereo effect.

one thing for sure gives the player better hearing.
better sound? maybe because depending the size of the hole and placement can damper the G and C string to help balance a over powering C.

On my MBU I have an off-set main port and a ssp. Together they seem to boost up the volume in an all Koa instrument, while keeping that warm/mellow Koa tone. I also find that I can hear my playing more clearly in a group setting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom