MP Custom Build

SnakeOiler

Reaction score
I've been getting some pix from Mike Pereira of the tenor he's building for me. Thought I would share:
A Neck is Born:
Neck1.jpg

neck2.jpg

Add finger board:
finger1.jpg

Time for some body:
K&K Twin Spot Pick-Up with Mi-Si preamp:
pick-up.jpg

I'm not sure what the hell is going on here:
body2.jpg

Ebony binding on all Koa body:
body3.jpg

body4.jpg

More as I get 'em

Lookin good, what's the approximate cost and how long to build?

Wow, that's going to be a real beauty! I can't wait to hear it.

Are you kidding? I can hardly sleep.

Lookin good, what's the approximate cost and how long to build?

Let's just say it's not cheap, more than I've ever paid for an instrument, but it's not crazy expensive either. About the same as a tenor Kamaka with a pick-up. It's been about 3 months since we first started designing it, about another couple of weeks until it's in my hands.

i played a MP build recently. so `ono.

???

Does that mean you liked it?

`ono = delicious. i think it was a concert size at a friends place. i don't know what was more beautiful, the `ukulele's look or its sound.

i really like that inlay on the headstock. price = kamaka tenor with p/u? wow!

Very cool! I am sure you will like it. When I first got mine I was completely blown away because it sounded so much better then all the ukes I heard before. Hope it will be the same for you!

The grain on that top is spectacular even without finish on it, it's going to look unreal with a few coats on there, can't wait to see the results. Interesting to see all the different techniques various luthiers use to attach the neck to the body. Thanks for sharing. ;)

Time for some body:
K&K Twin Spot Pick-Up with Mi-Si preamp:
pick-up.jpg

I'm not sure what the hell is going on here:
body2.jpg

Ebony binding on all Koa body:
body3.jpg

body4.jpg

More as I get 'em

In the picture where you're "not sure what the hell is going on here".....

That's a clamping fixture. Often used to clamp the top or the back of an instrument after gluing. The long dowels fit tightly between the uke being clamped and the top of the fixture (not shown in the photo). The fixture has a "roof", for lack of a better description. It's like the underside of a table....get it?

The dowels are longer than the distance between the uke and the top of the fixture. If you bend each dowel slightly, kind of like an archery bow, and then place it between the uke and the fixture and relax it, it exerts pressure on the uke. Thus, the clamping effect.

Hope that helps. Now you owe me your new uke. For keeps. Soon.

Congratulations on your new MP, Snakeoiler! Mike builds a killer uke! I love mine more and more each day. :D

Beautiful design! I'm sure it will sound great as well. I met Mike a couple years ago and was fortunate to play one of his instruments. Real top quality instruments.

Top Bottom