first uke - kala ka-st or ka-t

blueskyuke

Reaction score
My first post here. I'm a pianist but have always wanted to learn the guitar. Then I was introduced to the ukulele and really like the sound of it. I was trying to decide between a baritone vs tenor, but now leaning towards a tenor ukulele. I like the brighter (and seemingly lighter) sound of the tenor. I've been reading quite a bit here and I'm now trying to decide on either the kala-st (solid spruce top) vs the ka-t from MGM. I'm looking for something under $200. Is it true that the ka-t has a laminent top? I would have to order this online and trying to figure out how the two ukes compare. Or if there are other ukuleles I should look at before order. My friend just purchased a Lanikai baritone ukulele. I was hoping to learn from him. But now I'm not sure I can do that since the fingering would be different between the tenor and baritone (is that right?) Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to Ukulele Underground :D

I would think most people would agree that a that a Tenor would be a better starting point than a baritone. It is just more commonly used.

I am not familiar with the ukeleles you are considering getting but I would recommend shooting MGM an email or even calling. He would definitely be able to explain the differences to you.

Then if you need some more help after that then ask away on the forums.

Daniel

The KA-ST is a solid top laminate body. The KA-T is all laminate.
I have played both and own the KA-T it was my first Tenor and I wasnt sure I was going to like the size (I'm a Soprano player) so I took the less expensive route it plays nice and sounds good for the $$$.
It's not a KoAloha or even a Pono by any means and the Kala ASMT (All Solid Mahogany Tenor) does sound better Than the KA-T but I have no regrets.

The Spruce will make it sound brighter but that will also depend on the strings you are using.
My KA-T with Aquilla strings is brighter sounding than my Kala Spruce top Maple Tenor that has D'Addario Pro-arte strings on it.

Comparing the two is like comparing 2 apples, a Red Rome to a Pink Lady....
They are both apples...

About the Tenor/Bari thing that will depend on the tuning and that will effect the chord shape (fingering) a C chord is a C chord just with the fingers in different places.
If he is using Bari tuning dGBE you can tune a Tenor that way and its the way they used to be tuned or so I understand, but most Uke music today is in gCEA tuning.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
My first post here. I'm a pianist but have always wanted to learn the guitar. Then I was introduced to the ukulele and really like the sound of it. I was trying to decide between a baritone vs tenor, but now leaning towards a tenor ukulele. I like the brighter (and seemingly lighter) sound of the tenor. I've been reading quite a bit here and I'm now trying to decide on either the kala-st (solid spruce top) vs the ka-t from MGM. I'm looking for something under $200. Is it true that the ka-t has a laminent top? I would have to order this online and trying to figure out how the two ukes compare. Or if there are other ukuleles I should look at before order. My friend just purchased a Lanikai baritone ukulele. I was hoping to learn from him. But now I'm not sure I can do that since the fingering would be different between the tenor and baritone (is that right?) Any help would be appreciated.

Hello and Welcome, I sell both models and have to say Ka-St would be my choice. It has more volume with the solid spruce top and a beautiful gloss finish. I have a Ka- TE with pick up for around the same $. Its a nice option as well.Then the KA-SC concert sounds plenty good too and its a bit more portable. I hope this helps.:shaka:

Thanks everyone. I ordered the KA-ST. ETA: this coming wednesday. I'm really excited!

Good choice, I'd take a solid top over a laminate any day. Not familiar with the KA-T but played a KA-ST recently and it was very sweet sounding and in my opinion bang-for-the-buck bargain. Congratulations on your choice.

i love the combonation of quila string and kala ukes they have the best sounds

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I thought I'd ask this question in the help threads rather than start a new topic.
I need advice on what kind of ukulele to buy, tenor or concert?

I've bought a Lanikai Pineapple and Lanikai LU-11, both entry-level sopranos. I've started practicing the ukulele and learned afew chords/songs to sing along with. I don't feel that the soprano accompanies my deeper and rough voice very well.

Would a tenor be a good way to go or should I try a concert soprano?
I read that tenors are tune with a low G, are the chord fingerings the same?

I'm barely learning the uke and would hate to have to learn different chords.
I don't want to try a baritone, the small and easy-to-carry ukulele is what attracted me to the instrument in the first place.
I've seen vidoes which compared the different kinds of ukes and there is no music store in the area to try different ukes at, which is why I ask.:(
Ernest

PS: Whichever I end up buying, I'll buy from MGM. He has great looking concerts and tenors.

try a low G string in place of your high G to get it a bit more bassy...?
cheapest option, and then gives you a true purpose for two sops.

Would a tenor be a good way to go or should I try a concert soprano?
I read that tenors are tune with a low G, are the chord fingerings the same?

Kinda sounds like you WANT a tenor. Go for it! The chord fingering is the same for high or low g. If you buy from MGM, you can ask him to string it high G if you want to go that route. But if you do the low g, you might love it.

Last edited:
get a tenor, trust me it feels just so much more comfy, as for 1st uke, kala acacia is my pick haha

Thanks for the input guys!
Pondweed
I'll go to the music store to see if they have a loose low G for uke to sell. I'll try your suggestion just to see how one of my small sopranos sound. The music stores around here are terrible and only one sells ukes, a small selection of Ibanez soprano ukes at that.
HoldingCoffee
You're very observant, the UAS is taking hold. I may be leaning to the tenor. At any rate it will be another uke. I just want to know which one to put money down on.
Keith351
That did it! I'll be getting a tenor! I may get a concert eventually but I'm now sure that a tenor is calling me!
I wanted the input of experienced ukers and you guys helped! I'll still try Pondweed's suggestion just to see how one of my sopranos will sound. There is no fighting the UAS!:D
Ernest

Top Bottom