Maui or Kauai?

Faricelli

Reaction score
My wife and I have been to Maui a few times and love it. We have been tossing around the idea of going to Kauai. We have heard that it rains a lot there which would be a turn off. We are planning on going in May. We like to shop, hike, listen to music, and snorkel. I am also going to buy a new uke. Any help or suggestions?

2 words -- Napali Coast!

Plus isn't UU based in Kauai? Wouldn't you want to see them? There'll be uke shops there also.

The weather is generally nice in May on Kauai. You wouldn't want to go during the winter, when it's always raining and you can't even go in the water cuz it's always dirty and dangerous. If youre worried about rain, it rains like every single day. you can't really get around that. But you're probably not even going to notice that, cuz you'll probably be too busy thinking "Kauai is way better than Maui!" :p

You've been to Maui several times, I think it would be more adventurous visiting another treasure of paradise.

Like any island, there's a dry side and a rainy side. The east coast of Kaua'i is rainy and green (especially as you go north), and the west coast is generally dry with lots of red dirt. But don't let the rain stop you; sometimes it lasts only a few minutes. And sunshine is only a short drive away!

Koloa, Kapa'a, and Hanalei are the best places to shop. Snorkeling is great at Po'ipu (even when it's crowded), and way up at Ke'e Beach on the north shore. Definitely hike at Koke'e and Waimea Canyon. And as for uke buying, Larry's Music (he has a store in Kapa'a and a new one in Koloa) and Kaua'i Music and Sound (in Kapa'a) are good bets. Hope this helps! :D

Like any island, there's a dry side and a rainy side. The east coast of Kaua'i is rainy and green (especially as you go north), and the west coast is generally dry with lots of red dirt. But don't let the rain stop you; sometimes it lasts only a few minutes. And sunshine is only a short drive away!

Koloa, Kapa'a, and Hanalei are the best places to shop. Snorkeling is great at Po'ipu (even when it's crowded), and way up at Ke'e Beach on the north shore. Definitely hike at Koke'e and Waimea Canyon. And as for uke buying, Larry's Music (he has a store in Kapa'a and a new one in Koloa) and Kaua'i Music and Sound (in Kapa'a) are good bets. Hope this helps! :D

Doesn't Aldrine hang out in Kapa'a?

Doesn't Aldrine hang out in Kapa'a?

Aldrine plays shows in Kapaa and does some of his videos there, but he doesn't generally hang out there (once in a great while he'll come over, but that's hardly ever). He's usually in Lihue or Koloa. But Kauai is so small you can check out every town if you wanted to. I'd spend one day on the west side (Koke'e, Waimea, Waimea Canyon, etc,) and one day on the north shore (Hanalei, Princeville, etc). And then I'd spend the rest doing everything in between. That's generally what I do with visiting friends and they seem to like it.

If you're into outdoors activities, there are lots of fun ones: Napali coast boat tour, zip lining (highly recommended), horse back riding, inner tubing through cane fields, atv riding, luaus, etc.

To answer the question you didn't answer...

The Big Island - I've been the four main islands several times each - Big Island is the one I keep going back to. Stay in or near Kailua-Kona, but tour the whole island. Give Chuck Moore a call, too...he and several other great custom builders are located on the Big Island...

I've lived Big Island, and Maui, have family on Kaua'i, love all 6 islands. Kaua'i is more mellow and laid back than Maui, and has more nicer beaches. I lived Maui 12 years and it doubled in size (population), and quadrupled in expense. You'll LOVE Kaua'i. That being said I'll eventually settle back on Big Island, least crowded and most affordable place to live in Hawaii, and easy fo' live off the land there (fish, hunt, gather, grow). :shaka:

I own a travel agency and so I've done a good deal of traveling in my lifetime. That being said, there is no place in the world I like to visit more than Kauai. I go every year and stay in a timeshare in Poipu (the South side of the island). I'm going in May and can't wait.

I've been to Kauai about 20 times, and Maui about 10. No comparison for me. No offense to any Maui fans or residents (it is a great place) but Kauai beats it hands down. The beaches are gorgeous, and I think it is much less "spoiled" and "touristy" than Maui.

Thanks everyone. I think Kauai might be in the works. I have a Starwood ownership and will probably stay in their new facilities in Princeville.

Might as well check out Kauai. It's slower paced, but has more accessible and better beaches in my opinion.

Top Bottom