Where Do You Consider Yourself??

UkuLeLesReggAe

Reaction score
I guess its a question for Aldrine, everybody give your own opinions though.

Where do you consider yourself in the ukulele rank??
e.g. Best uke player in the world, 2nd?? 3rd etc..

I personally think you are number 1.. even though Jakes good, i think your number one because to my knowledge, you can play a lot more songs??

Aldrine is definitly good, and is definitly up there. I can't attach a solid number rank to him because I don't know many other ukulele players. But in terms of players who have influenced me, he is definitly number 1 thanks to his very well done lessons.

This is quite flattering but I don't think I can even rank myself within the top 100. I have met the most amazing ukulele players and musicians throughout the course of time that I have played this tiny instrument. Many have influenced me in so many ways; such as, Troy Fernandez, Jake Shimabukuro, James hill, Imua Garza, Byron Yasui, Gordon Mark, Benny Chong, Kaui Low, Mark Baldonado, Ohta-san, Herb Ohta jr, Bill Tapia, Lyle Ritz, and soooo many others.

It's actually amazing to me how far I got by with the little amount of music theory that I know. I'm such a n00b that you wouldn't even believe it. When you've heard all these players play, then will you truly understand why I must keep searching to find my own sound and technique. I only strive for uniqueness. Also, to educate the world and spread the same love that I received from the ukulele.

This is quite flattering but I don't think I can even rank myself within the top 100. I have met the most amazing ukulele players and musicians throughout the course of time that I have played this tiny instrument. Many have influenced me in so many ways; such as, Troy Fernandez, Jake Shimabukuro, James hill, Imua Garza, Byron Yasui, Gordon Mark, Benny Chong, Kaui Low, Mark Baldonado, Ohta-san, Herb Ohta jr, Bill Tapia, Lyle Ritz, and soooo many others.

It's actually amazing to me how far I got by with the little amount of music theory that I know. I'm such a n00b that you wouldn't even believe it. When you've heard all these players play, then will you truly understand why I must keep searching to find my own sound and technique. I only strive for uniqueness. Also, to educate the world and spread the same love that I received from the ukulele.

I almost cried :'] Well if it was for most inspiring You'd definetly be #1 in my book :D

Wow! I didn't actual think that many people were better than you. I need to research this some more.

Assuming for my 16th birthday (august last year) i get to go to an island of my choice for one week. Instead of going to New Zealand, i guess im going to Hawaii.

I would like to see how many ukulele players are actually as good or even better than you Aldrine... suprised me a lot hahaha (suprise?? is that even how you spell it)

however, I don't think they all live in Hawaii.

Yeah I agree with Aldrine, there are so many amazing Ukulele players (though I unlike you, never met them). But it's senseless to me to make any kind of ranking. I mean everyone has his own style and its hard to compare. I mean you can't really compare Ohta San or James Hill, they're so different. Or Lyle Ritz and Jake.
But anyways, most amazing for me is Bill Tapia. Not because he is the best ukulele player, but because of his age. I mean he is 100. If I will ever be 100 I will probably have trouble walking out of my flat and bill Tapia tours and plays the Ukulele. There even was a documentary about him, right?

however, I don't think they all live in Hawaii.

Yeah I agree with Aldrine, there are so many amazing Ukulele players (though I unlike you, never met them). But it's senseless to me to make any kind of ranking. I mean everyone has his own style and its hard to compare. I mean you can't really compare Ohta San or James Hill, they're so different. Or Lyle Ritz and Jake.
But anyways, most amazing for me is Bill Tapia. Not because he is the best ukulele player, but because of his age. I mean he is 100. If I will ever be 100 I will probably have trouble walking out of my flat and bill Tapia tours and plays the Ukulele. There even was a documentary about him, right?

100 years old... that in itself is pretty amazing but to be able to play music and tour, that is a true blessing.

Oooooh man, I almost forgot about Imua Garza. He was probably the last ukulele player that I watched live in person. And he was INCREDIBLE. He was playing with Opihi Pickers at the time, and I just remember watching him the whole time as he jammed on the uke. I particularily remember him playing a very very fast riff with the ukulele held up behind his head, with his back to the audience so that we could see the uke. ( Show off! :p ) But man, he was awesome.

its hard to give everyone a rank because theres so much different styles and things to consider that you cant really give anybody a rank. it's all subjective. i do gotta say though that all the people aldrine mentioned are definitely up there, aldrine included.

aldrine's awesome...

i suck ballzack compared to everyone on this site. haha.

Aldrine, it is cool to see the humility in you. All the players you mentioned are great in different ways. That being said (some might agree), there is something about what you play or how you play it, or maybe even how you sing along, that makes you your own special case. There are not that many that seem to be completely in love with the instrument like you. You have no machismo with your ukulele. My wife says she can see you taking a nap with it and I tend to agree. I truly believe you will be one of the most known ukulele players in global community. You are spreading it worldwide....and people are listening.

That's kind of a weird thing to try to rate anyone's skill... I don't think I'm crap on the ukulele, but man, I've heard some amazing ukulele musicians! Just watching people like jake and aldrine, inspire me to practice and become better. And those who make tabs and tutorial vids like Dom and aldrine to name a few are making a huge difference!

To give a ranking, I'd hope that I'm in the top 1 million ukulele players in the world hahah. :p

most of the videos that i saw from the people here are pretty good(ryan, aldrine, nukedoc, guting, davoomac, etc.) so u all are good in my book cant say i can play good cuz i just started n im a slow learner but im motivated to learn it

What sets Aldrine apart from most of the other great uke players is that he can sing. I know Jake doesn't sing in his videos, neither does Mr. Hill. When your fingers do all the talking the voice doesn't stand a chance...unless your Aldrine.

to be honest with you I dont think it matters how fast you can move your fingers across the rosewood fretboard, how many notes you can remember, or how expensive your ukulele is. To me the greatest ukulele player in the world would be someone who plays just because they have fun. thats it. to me the ukulele is a tool to spread joy around to many people. something that cant just be done with talking. music is the gateway to people emotions. through this beautiful instrument you can touch a person's soul more than any other thing in this world. Playing the songs, remember all the notes, and just using it, is not enough. to be truly a great ukulele player you have to use it to move people. I have seen a couple of players like this. take a look at jake shimabukuro's face when he plays the star spangled banner. I have never in my 15 years felt so much pride in my country. the look on his face was pure joy and wonder at that beautiful tune.

music moves people. plain and simple. Only a great ukulele player will know how to do this.

I sometimes see players that will play the ukulele but...they play it so empty and just go through the notes without a thought as to what they are playing.

one of the greatest players i have ever seen was a little girl on youtube.

about 3 years old, adorable little thing playing on a plastic ukulele. it wasnt really playing it was pretty bad if you just wanted to hear music.

but the look on her face. the joy her dad had when holding the camera watching his daughter be happy. just happy. not wondering how it sounded just being happy.

unconditional love for just being happy itself... is probubly the greatest gift anyone can have.

The great ukulele players put that happiness in music.....in ukulele.

I know Jake doesn't sing in his videos, neither does Mr. Hill.

Actually, this is only partly true. James Hill doesn't sing on any of his current recordings that I'm aware of. However, he can sing and has a darn good voice. He sang during his performance at the Southern CA Ukulele festival 2 years ago. I believe it was Hello My Baby. So James is actually developing more than just his ukulele chops these days. In addition to incorporating re-entrant (high 4th string) tuning into more of his arrangements he is developing his vocals skills as well. I'm pretty sure we will hear some vocals on at least a couple of tracks in the future.

Without question, I would rate myself #1 as an ukulele player.

YOU would probably rate me somewhere in the high ten-thousands.

There are and have been many ukulele players who's skills I will likely never possess by half, much less exceed. They are awesome to watch and it's fun to study their techniques. They express themselves artfully and passionately through music and truly inspire me.

None of them, however, can bring me the joy and satisfaction that I get from strumming away on my own uke. Only I can create the pride of finally nailing song XYZ or reaching that chord combination that weeks earlier I thought I would have to be double-jointed to play.

While we can appreciate and learn from our many ukulele influences around the world, I think you can be the best ukulele player you know.

Have fun!

Top Bottom