PDA

View Full Version : Where Do You Consider Yourself??

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-04-2008, 10:04 PM
I guess its a question for Aldrine, everybody give your own opinions though.

Where do you consider yourself in the ukulele rank??
e.g. Best uke player in the world, 2nd?? 3rd etc..

I personally think you are number 1.. even though Jakes good, i think your number one because to my knowledge, you can play a lot more songs??

experimentjon
03-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Aldrine is definitly good, and is definitly up there. I can't attach a solid number rank to him because I don't know many other ukulele players. But in terms of players who have influenced me, he is definitly number 1 thanks to his very well done lessons.

Aldrine Guerrero
03-05-2008, 06:44 PM
This is quite flattering but I don't think I can even rank myself within the top 100. I have met the most amazing ukulele players and musicians throughout the course of time that I have played this tiny instrument. Many have influenced me in so many ways; such as, Troy Fernandez, Jake Shimabukuro, James hill, Imua Garza, Byron Yasui, Gordon Mark, Benny Chong, Kaui Low, Mark Baldonado, Ohta-san, Herb Ohta jr, Bill Tapia, Lyle Ritz, and soooo many others.

It's actually amazing to me how far I got by with the little amount of music theory that I know. I'm such a n00b that you wouldn't even believe it. When you've heard all these players play, then will you truly understand why I must keep searching to find my own sound and technique. I only strive for uniqueness. Also, to educate the world and spread the same love that I received from the ukulele.

Bigylittle
03-05-2008, 06:49 PM
This is quite flattering but I don't think I can even rank myself within the top 100. I have met the most amazing ukulele players and musicians throughout the course of time that I have played this tiny instrument. Many have influenced me in so many ways; such as, Troy Fernandez, Jake Shimabukuro, James hill, Imua Garza, Byron Yasui, Gordon Mark, Benny Chong, Kaui Low, Mark Baldonado, Ohta-san, Herb Ohta jr, Bill Tapia, Lyle Ritz, and soooo many others.

It's actually amazing to me how far I got by with the little amount of music theory that I know. I'm such a n00b that you wouldn't even believe it. When you've heard all these players play, then will you truly understand why I must keep searching to find my own sound and technique. I only strive for uniqueness. Also, to educate the world and spread the same love that I received from the ukulele.

I almost cried :'] Well if it was for most inspiring You'd definetly be #1 in my book :D

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-05-2008, 06:51 PM

Wow! I didn't actual think that many people were better than you. I need to research this some more.

Assuming for my 16th birthday (august last year) i get to go to an island of my choice for one week. Instead of going to New Zealand, i guess im going to Hawaii.

I would like to see how many ukulele players are actually as good or even better than you Aldrine... suprised me a lot hahaha (suprise?? is that even how you spell it)

bof
03-05-2008, 08:12 PM
however, I don't think they all live in Hawaii.

Yeah I agree with Aldrine, there are so many amazing Ukulele players (though I unlike you, never met them). But it's senseless to me to make any kind of ranking. I mean everyone has his own style and its hard to compare. I mean you can't really compare Ohta San or James Hill, they're so different. Or Lyle Ritz and Jake.
But anyways, most amazing for me is Bill Tapia. Not because he is the best ukulele player, but because of his age. I mean he is 100. If I will ever be 100 I will probably have trouble walking out of my flat and bill Tapia tours and plays the Ukulele. There even was a documentary about him, right?

studentaccount1
03-05-2008, 08:20 PM
however, I don't think they all live in Hawaii.

Yeah I agree with Aldrine, there are so many amazing Ukulele players (though I unlike you, never met them). But it's senseless to me to make any kind of ranking. I mean everyone has his own style and its hard to compare. I mean you can't really compare Ohta San or James Hill, they're so different. Or Lyle Ritz and Jake.
But anyways, most amazing for me is Bill Tapia. Not because he is the best ukulele player, but because of his age. I mean he is 100. If I will ever be 100 I will probably have trouble walking out of my flat and bill Tapia tours and plays the Ukulele. There even was a documentary about him, right?

100 years old... that in itself is pretty amazing but to be able to play music and tour, that is a true blessing.

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-05-2008, 11:19 PM
100 years old... that in itself is pretty amazing but to be able to play music and tour, that is a true blessing.
LOL! I agree, 100 years is a long time..

experimentjon
03-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Oooooh man, I almost forgot about Imua Garza. He was probably the last ukulele player that I watched live in person. And he was INCREDIBLE. He was playing with Opihi Pickers at the time, and I just remember watching him the whole time as he jammed on the uke. I particularily remember him playing a very very fast riff with the ukulele held up behind his head, with his back to the audience so that we could see the uke. ( Show off! :P ) But man, he was awesome.

tripl3thr33
03-07-2008, 07:28 AM
its hard to give everyone a rank because theres so much different styles and things to consider that you cant really give anybody a rank. it's all subjective. i do gotta say though that all the people aldrine mentioned are definitely up there, aldrine included.

tsud123
03-07-2008, 07:50 PM
aldrine's awesome...

i suck ballzack compared to everyone on this site. haha.

david98116
03-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Aldrine, it is cool to see the humility in you. All the players you mentioned are great in different ways. That being said (some might agree), there is something about what you play or how you play it, or maybe even how you sing along, that makes you your own special case. There are not that many that seem to be completely in love with the instrument like you. You have no machismo with your ukulele. My wife says she can see you taking a nap with it and I tend to agree. I truly believe you will be one of the most known ukulele players in global community. You are spreading it worldwide....and people are listening.

david98116
03-08-2008, 12:44 AM
PS- I suck so far. But I work hard.

davoomac
03-08-2008, 12:54 AM
That's kind of a weird thing to try to rate anyone's skill... I don't think I'm crap on the ukulele, but man, I've heard some amazing ukulele musicians! Just watching people like jake and aldrine, inspire me to practice and become better. And those who make tabs and tutorial vids like Dom and aldrine to name a few are making a huge difference!

To give a ranking, I'd hope that I'm in the top 1 million ukulele players in the world hahah. :p

Regster
03-08-2008, 08:50 AM
most of the videos that i saw from the people here are pretty good(ryan, aldrine, nukedoc, guting, davoomac, etc.) so u all are good in my book cant say i can play good cuz i just started n im a slow learner but im motivated to learn it

menehunenyc
03-08-2008, 04:37 PM
What sets Aldrine apart from most of the other great uke players is that he can sing. I know Jake doesn't sing in his videos, neither does Mr. Hill. When your fingers do all the talking the voice doesn't stand a chance...unless your Aldrine.

nikolo727
03-08-2008, 04:51 PM
to be honest with you I dont think it matters how fast you can move your fingers across the rosewood fretboard, how many notes you can remember, or how expensive your ukulele is. To me the greatest ukulele player in the world would be someone who plays just because they have fun. thats it. to me the ukulele is a tool to spread joy around to many people. something that cant just be done with talking. music is the gateway to people emotions. through this beautiful instrument you can touch a person's soul more than any other thing in this world. Playing the songs, remember all the notes, and just using it, is not enough. to be truly a great ukulele player you have to use it to move people. I have seen a couple of players like this. take a look at jake shimabukuro's face when he plays the star spangled banner. I have never in my 15 years felt so much pride in my country. the look on his face was pure joy and wonder at that beautiful tune.

music moves people. plain and simple. Only a great ukulele player will know how to do this.

I sometimes see players that will play the ukulele but...they play it so empty and just go through the notes without a thought as to what they are playing.

one of the greatest players i have ever seen was a little girl on youtube.

about 3 years old, adorable little thing playing on a plastic ukulele. it wasnt really playing it was pretty bad if you just wanted to hear music.

but the look on her face. the joy her dad had when holding the camera watching his daughter be happy. just happy. not wondering how it sounded just being happy.

unconditional love for just being happy itself... is probubly the greatest gift anyone can have.

The great ukulele players put that happiness in music.....in ukulele.

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-08-2008, 09:54 PM
PS- I suck so far. But I work hard.

haha, dont we all :)

Dominator
03-09-2008, 09:12 AM
I know Jake doesn't sing in his videos, neither does Mr. Hill.

Actually, this is only partly true. James Hill doesn't sing on any of his current recordings that I'm aware of. However, he can sing and has a darn good voice. He sang during his performance at the Southern CA Ukulele festival 2 years ago. I believe it was Hello My Baby. So James is actually developing more than just his ukulele chops these days. In addition to incorporating re-entrant (high 4th string) tuning into more of his arrangements he is developing his vocals skills as well. I'm pretty sure we will hear some vocals on at least a couple of tracks in the future.

NotoriousMOK
03-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Without question, I would rate myself #1 as an ukulele player.

YOU would probably rate me somewhere in the high ten-thousands.

There are and have been many ukulele players who's skills I will likely never possess by half, much less exceed. They are awesome to watch and it's fun to study their techniques. They express themselves artfully and passionately through music and truly inspire me.

None of them, however, can bring me the joy and satisfaction that I get from strumming away on my own uke. Only I can create the pride of finally nailing song XYZ or reaching that chord combination that weeks earlier I thought I would have to be double-jointed to play.

While we can appreciate and learn from our many ukulele influences around the world, I think you can be the best ukulele player you know.

Have fun!

Guting
03-09-2008, 07:06 PM
I guess its a question for Aldrine, everybody give your own opinions though.

Where do you consider yourself in the ukulele rank??
e.g. Best uke player in the world, 2nd?? 3rd etc..

I personally think you are number 1.. even though Jakes good, i think your number one because to my knowledge, you can play a lot more songs??

so just because a person can play more songs than another makes him better?

my opinion? no where, too humble for that nonsense. I simple appreciate or criticize all with respect.

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-09-2008, 07:25 PM
so just because a person can play more songs then another makes him better?

my opinion? no where, too humble for that nonsense. I simple appreciate or criticize all with respect.

For example.
jake can play 10, Aldrine can play 20.
Jake can only play 10 bewcause he can't play the other 10 that Aldrine can. Which means... Aldrine is better..

*NOTE*
its just an example, dont anybody say" but Jake can lear those songs"

Guting
03-09-2008, 08:46 PM
are you serious?

braddah that deserves a

Lolimus Maximus.

Ukulele_Junkie
03-09-2008, 08:55 PM
jake can bust out a lot of songs even though he hasn't put it on an album and he always bust sumtin outta the blue during concerts, and I'm pretty sure Aldrine can also do this, just like how he shows his playing ability consistently in all his youtube videos. But really IMO you can't put a rank on talent, maybe put a rank on wins and losses.

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-09-2008, 09:40 PM
are you serious?

braddah that deserves a

Lolimus Maximus.

...yes, well keep loling to ur max.

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-09-2008, 09:45 PM
jake can bust out a lot of songs even though he hasn't put it on an album and he always bust sumtin outta the blue during concerts, and I'm pretty sure Aldrine can also do this, just like how he shows his playing ability consistently in all his youtube videos. But really IMO you can't put a rank on talent, maybe put a rank on wins and losses.

Well what i know of Jake (which is hardly anything) to my knowledge Aldrine can play a lot, and as you said Jake can probably as well, and the both sound good. IMO i think Aldrine is better only because i know more of Aldrine than any other ukulele player. No you probably can't put a rank on talent.

Even though Aldrine said he wouldn't consist in the top 100, I know a few really good people, Aldrine, Jake and Dom haha.. yes its sad.

Put it this way, Dom, Aldrine and Jake are all number 1 in my eyes... ill leave it here, LOL!

davoomac
03-09-2008, 10:08 PM
wow i thought you were joking, but i guess not.

I think its kinda silly to try to say that one person is definitely better than others because we all play differently, have different influences, and know different songs. You can't quantify comparing different players. Especially since you don't know each of those person's full potentials. We can only see what they have videos and recordings of posted online, but you haven't seen everything they can do.

I really admire people like aldrine, dom, and jake though. They really feel the need to spread the love for ukulele, through their music and through teaching and they are big influences to me since I'm relatively new to the ukulele.

UkuCouS
03-09-2008, 10:33 PM
i think Aldrine is better only because i know more of Aldrine than any other ukulele player. No you probably can't put a rank on talent.

I totally agree with you, you may think that Aldrine is "the best ukulele player in the world", because you know Aldrine much more than Jake or Otha-San for example.
I'm not saying Aldrine isn't in the top 100, cuz ... yeah you know.
But I think it's very difficult to evaluate people on their YouTube performances for example.

Guting
03-09-2008, 10:45 PM
...yes, well keep loling to ur max.

you got it young grasshopper. bumbai you learn.

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-09-2008, 11:49 PM
you got it young grasshopper. bumbai you learn.

hahahahahaha!!! not laughing at you.. I thought that was funny :)

Young Grasshopper :D :D
Not sure what a bumbai is, but i thought of Bambi when i heard it :)

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-09-2008, 11:51 PM
wow i thought you were joking, but i guess not.

I think its kinda silly to try to say that one person is definitely better than others because we all play differently, have different influences, and know different songs. You can't quantify comparing different players. Especially since you don't know each of those person's full potentials. We can only see what they have videos and recordings of posted online, but you haven't seen everything they can do.

I really admire people like aldrine, dom, and jake though. They really feel the need to spread the love for ukulele, through their music and through teaching and they are big influences to me since I'm relatively new to the ukulele.

I got my ukulele about... September last year, and im probably the worst uke player out. But the fact is that i love the ukulele, and i keep trying ^^

And thats true about the whole posting on internet thing. People may not want to be centre of attention :D

Guting
03-10-2008, 06:49 AM
bumbai means later, in context, in time.

bof
03-10-2008, 12:04 PM
I got my ukulele about... September last year, and im probably the worst uke player out. But the fact is that i love the ukulele, and i keep trying ^^

And thats true about the whole posting on internet thing. People may not want to be centre of attention :D

Hmm I guess the point of all those youtube videos is to get attention, isn't it? Why would they post it otherwise? I'ts pure exhibitionism.

It's nice that you keep trying to play Ukulele, but you get it all wrong. It's not about who is the best or who can play more songs (:eek:). I guess firstly you don't know much about Jake Shimabukuro and you don't know much about Aldrine (same with me).

And besides that if there were any ranking, you wouldn't be the one judging it, especially if as you say you don't know any other players.

But you really miss all those other great Ukulele players if you only talk about those two. Exceed your horizone and you will see that there are so many great players and that you can't make a ranking at all.

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Hmm I guess the point of all those youtube videos is to get attention, isn't it? Why would they post it otherwise? I'ts pure exhibitionism.

It's nice that you keep trying to play Ukulele, but you get it all wrong. It's not about who is the best or who can play more songs (:eek:). I guess firstly you don't know much about Jake Shimabukuro and you don't know much about Aldrine (same with me).

And besides that if there were any ranking, you wouldn't be the one judging it, especially if as you say you don't know any other players.

But you really miss all those other great Ukulele players if you only talk about those two. Exceed your horizone and you will see that there are so many great players and that you can't make a ranking at all.

Dom, Aldrine and Jake, the good ukulele players i know dont post for attention... they just show the love for ukulele :)

bof
03-11-2008, 06:21 AM
Dom, Aldrine and Jake, the good ukulele players i know dont post for attention... they just show the love for ukulele :)

Oh come on.

Every musician performing on stage wants attention. Thta's just the reason for playing on stage. And I think youtube is very similar. It's the "online stage". Of course Aldrine and co want to spread the Ukulele and teach us bad players some new stuff and I really appreciate that. And of course they love the Ukulele, else they wouldn't have become so outstanding.
But if you post a video of you playing a song on youtube, you want to hear people writing comments like "yeah cool" or "well done" or "very good try". And don't tell me that Jake Shimabukuro (you absolutely never met and never talked to) doesn't want applause at the end of a performance.

Aldrine Guerrero
03-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Wow... this became quite the touchy subject eh?

Ukulelesreggae:
I'm really flattered from your words but it seems you still don't understand what i said earlier. Also, please hold your judgments until you have met and seen all the ukulele players around the world. Which means... you shouldn't really rank or judge players at all. They are all unique and therefore it's unfair to name anyone as the top or as number 1. Plus no one really knows their true potential just by watching a few videos. I have my favorites but I honestly don't judge any of them as being better than the other. Pick your favorites, but don't sell anyone short... peace, love, and ukulele. :3

On another note.........
Yes. I AM a stage whore hahaha. I love being on stage and performing in front of people. There's no better rush than playing music and feeding off of the energy of the crowd. And yes, I do love the attention. Actually it's more feedback than anything. I love the feedback from the crowd. I love how I can play a tune and have them comment about how a particular part made them feel. I also love constructive criticism. I wanna hear about my flaws just as much as I wanna hear about what I do right. All the feedback and everything just motivates me more to play. As long as there's someone willing to hear the music, I'll keep playing them :D

SO let's just all have fun and make some music 'kay?

bof
03-11-2008, 09:47 AM
I didn't mean to criticize you or any musician who posts Youtube videos. If I would be as good as you or them, I would try to be on stage as often as possible. Who doesn't love positive feedback or playing in front of a crowd?

NukeDOC
03-11-2008, 10:33 AM
performing/youtube/etc:

bof, i understood your point completely and agree.
same with aldrine

performers perform because of the attention. as bad as my stagefright is, i still push myself to try to get up there and showboat. it is a rush. and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. in the end, everyone gets what they wanted. the performer gets the attention. the loving audience gets the entertainment. and the haters get someone to talk trash about. but i repeat, everyone got what they wanted.

the best:

remember the discussion about whats the best ukulele evarrrr??? same deal here. its completely up to the opinion of the person making that assessment. beauty is in the eye of the beholder. and lets not get into how jake and iz were sponsored by kamaka. or tiger woods and jordan are sponsored by nike. so kamaka and nike must be the best. thats just narrow minded. so is claiming that anyone is the best at anything. unless they are the ONLY ONE doing that particular thing, there is no way to tell. and the arguments can go on forever. because differing opinions/preferences CANNOT be changed by someone else's arguments. an individual can change their own opinion based on other's testimonial, but those others cannot do the actual changing. thats called brainwashing.

see where im getting at? although these topics of "the best" are interesting, to say the least, and the threads can go on and on with a whole bunch of people stating their well thought out opinions on what they believe is the best... in the end, when it comes down to actually finding out what or who actually is "the best" you still cant say. i dont care if there are a hundred pages in that thread, its still inconclusive.

but not worthless.

recognize and differentiate between the narrowminded posts that dont have the research and experience backing them, and the ones that demonstrate how, through experience, their opinions matter. let it make you think. so you can come up with your own opinion, even if its based on others' opinions. but the funny thing is, the ones with that research, experience, know-how, wisdom, etc... they rarely have an opinion of their own. and if they do, they dont push it upon anyone to try and steer them in any particular direction. most of the time, they say things to the effect of "its up to you on what you choose"

my apples just might be your lemons. if you dont like my apples, who's at fault? me for telling you my apples taste great, or you for eating one of my apples?

E-Lo Roberts
03-11-2008, 10:50 AM
On another note.........
Yes. I AM a stage whore hahaha. I love being on stage and performing in front of people. There's no better rush than playing music and feeding off of the energy of the crowd. And yes, I do love the attention. Actually it's more feedback than anything. I love the feedback from the crowd. I love how I can play a tune and have them comment about how a particular part made them feel. I also love constructive criticism. I wanna hear about my flaws just as much as I wanna hear about what I do right. All the feedback and everything just motivates me more to play. As long as there's someone willing to hear the music, I'll keep playing them :D

Well said Aldrine, since you have owned up to it... I guess it's my turn...hahaha.. You see, I too am a stage whore. I play first for my love of music and the instrument. Secondly, to create a musical bridge between myself and the audience. Thirdly, to satisfy my continual need for immediate self-validation that only comes from an audiences applause. (<-most entertainers suffer from this one) ... And lastly, for the money. There it is... 3 uke chords and the truth. Ah, that felt good. e.lo.....

studentaccount1
03-11-2008, 12:50 PM
performing/youtube/etc:

bof, i understood your point completely and agree.
same with aldrine

performers perform because of the attention. as bad as my stagefright is, i still push myself to try to get up there and showboat. it is a rush. and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. in the end, everyone gets what they wanted. the performer gets the attention. the loving audience gets the entertainment. and the haters get someone to talk trash about. but i repeat, everyone got what they wanted.

Definitely true for the majority of musicians. Most people love that rush that only performing on stage and having people cheer for you can bring. It is a nice feeling, no doubt.

I definitely think it is the reason people post up on youtube too. It is like an open venue so everyone can get their five minutes of fame. I think youtube is levelling the playing field and blurring the lines between "professionals" and "amateurs" in that everyone has a shot at exposure. Everyone can judge for themselves if that is a good thing or not.

We shouldn't discount the fact that there are tons of super talented people who fly under the youtube/new media radar.

Some, presumably those in older generations or people who don't have access to computers, haven't adopted technology as much as young people/technologically inclined folks and might not have the means to post themselves performing. There are probably a lot of others who would have tons to offer in tems of talent, skills and knowledge, but just don't care or have better things to do than post up on YouTube/Forums/etc.

How many of our moms/dads/uncles/auntys/etc are talented and knowledgable, but yet don't have time or feel the need to "share it with the world"?

Some people may just love the challenge of creating and exploring music as a personal journey. Some people are content with sharing with their family. Some people have "been there, done that".

As big as YouTube/internet media seems, and despite the fact that the community it represents gets bigger everyday, it really only reflects a small portion of society, (i.e. those that have access to computers, and those who are willing to participate)

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-11-2008, 07:41 PM

Ukulelesreggae:
I'm really flattered from your words but it seems you still don't understand what i said earlier. Also, please hold your judgments until you have met and seen all the ukulele players around the world. Which means... you shouldn't really rank or judge players at all. They are all unique and therefore it's unfair to name anyone as the top or as number 1. Plus no one really knows their true potential just by watching a few videos. I have my favorites but I honestly don't judge any of them as being better than the other. Pick your favorites, but don't sell anyone short... peace, love, and ukulele. :3

On another note.........

I did say your number one in my books because your one of the only ukulele players i have ever seen -.-

People ask in Australia, what instrument you play. I say ukulele, 90% of the time "whats that?".

Assumming i learn from your videos i appreciate it a lot, otherwise i wouldn't know how to play anything.

I didn't know i sounded like im cutting people short, because that wasn't my intention.

But, whatever.

studentaccount1
03-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Hey UkeReg:

It's cool, dont feel bad or anything. You have your opinion, and you don't really have to justify it to any of us.

I think at this point we are all just sharing our point of view on how we come up (or don't come up with) ways to evaluate others. It is a pretty personal thing so you can see why everyone tends to be passionate about it. It is no big deal though bro. No one is wrong or right here, so don't sweat it.

seeso
03-12-2008, 11:15 AM
When I was a teenager, I played guitar. I loved to rank guitar players back then and argue about them with my friends.

"Van Halen's the best!"

"No way, dude, Jimi!"

"You're both high, it's Yngwie!"

And on and on and on... I don't think there's anything wrong with ranking guitar players, and arguing amongst your friends about who's the best (by the way, it's Jimi).

But the ukulele is a different animal. It's a niche instrument, so ukulele players tend to define themselves as a "community." Ukulele players are more about fraternity than competition. Therefore the concept of ranking players is distasteful to most players in the community.

UkuLeLesReggAe, I believe this mindset is what you have run into when making your post.

Also, asking someone to rank themselves is asking a lot. Aldrine is an ambassador of the community. He can't rank himself. To do so would invite criticism, and undermine his message of togetherness.

NotoriousMOK
03-12-2008, 06:33 PM
well said seeso, thank you

...jeez, now I gotta go get a seeso action figure too...

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-14-2008, 02:29 AM
well i didnt mean it like "Aldrine rank yourself!!!!" It was where do you consider yourself. Aldrine said he couldn't rank himself, which is understandable.

I said IMO hes the best in my eyes, every1 starts saying how like... bad it is to put a rank to somebodies name. Wasn't my intention -.-

I need sleep :(

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-14-2008, 02:29 AM
Hey UkeReg:

It's cool, dont feel bad or anything. You have your opinion, and you don't really have to justify it to any of us.

I think at this point we are all just sharing our point of view on how we come up (or don't come up with) ways to evaluate others. It is a pretty personal thing so you can see why everyone tends to be passionate about it. It is no big deal though bro. No one is wrong or right here, so don't sweat it.

thanks for that bro :)

Don't ask why because i don't know, made me feel better :P