Synthetic bone or tusq?

mmanalo

Reaction score
Synthetic bone or tusq? Or how about mother of pearl nut?

I've got a KALA KA-ASMTE-C that comes with Synthetic nut and saddle! How much and what kind of a difference will it make is I switch them out for the tusq or nubone? Or should I just remain with the stocked nut and saddle?

Last edited:
I've got a KALA KA-ASMTE-C that comes with Synthetic nut and saddle! How much and what kind of a difference will it make is I switch them out for the tusq or nubone? Or should I just remain with the stocked nut and saddle?

Because it is an all-solid instrument, changing the saddle (and to a lesser extent the nut) will make a difference. The difference is noticable to the ears, but difficult to describe in words. I'll have a go.

The two materials you mention are basically hard plastics and will make some difference. However, I don't think is would be worth the expense and bother. I have had a Collings guitar for 15 years which has a plastic saddle of some sort (nubone, I think), and I have never bothered to change it for bone.

However, real bone will usually give a clearer, more distinct sound than plastic. Ivory is very hard and will transmit the vibrations very well, giving a very distinct, bell-like sound.

Metal saddles usually sound horrible (at least on guitars) as they make the note sound metalic and strident.

Hard wood saddles are interesting as they impart a soft, mellow tone. But they can make the notes sound a bit muffled.

I have 9 ukuleles and I have not bothered changing the saddle (and certainly not the nut) on any of them. I did change the saddle on a tenor Bruko to jacaranda wood, but I have since sold that ukulele. Often a manufacturer chooses a material for the saddle that sounds good. If plastic sounds good, why change it?

KEN

Ivory is very hard and will transmit the vibrations very well, giving a very distinct, bell-like sound.

Metal saddles usually sound horrible (at least on guitars) as they make the note sound metalic and strident.

KEN

Ivories are quite soft, softer than many plastics even; imparts a softer, mellow sound to the instrument. African ivory is the hardest, then Indian, then mastadon and finally fossil walrus being the softest. All however are much softer than bone of any type. Stay away from ivory anyway, not worth the controversy. BTW, tusq is harder than most ivories.
If we ever use the finger board then nut material has no influence on tone at all.
Mmanalo, instead of synthetic bone why not just use real bone? StewMac will sell you a chunk for about four bucks.

Has anyone tried using the mother of pearl nut from StewMac? Or would know what it would sound like?

StewMac sells bone blanks. Without looking at the catalog, the martin style is about 4" long and a bit thicker than 1/8". Enough material for a nut AND a saddle if you wish. It comes rough, you'd have to sand the thickness and shape yourself.

StewMac sells bone blanks. Without looking at the catalog, the martin style is about 4" long and a bit thicker than 1/8". Enough material for a nut AND a saddle if you wish. It comes rough, you'd have to sand the thickness and shape yourself.

Thanks Chuck!

Top Bottom