Bridge attachment - When?

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
Hello All,
now the weather has warmed up a bit (in the UK) I want to spray up my Grizzly (style) uke which I have built. But at what stage is it best to glue on the bridge/tailpiece? Some seem to do it before spraying and mask it off whilst others seem to mask off the area where it is going and then glue on afterwards. Personally I'm in favour of gluing on first but wondered what others do or think.
Cheers,
Ian.

Last edited:
I started off gluing bridges on before applying any finish, but then I had to mask off the bridge, spray over or around it, and then any light sanding or buffing has to be done around the bridge. I now prefer to mask off the area where the bridge will attach; finish the front, then glue on the bridge. It just seems easier that way.

Ukantor.

Attach the bridge after - it's much easier from a polishing perspective. however, if you look at William King's work he attaches the bridge, tunes his fronts and then finishes in the classical manner (which I think is his background...).

Many thanks to you both. I will go for the mask off and apply after route then. I'll do the masking tonight so I can start spraying tomorrow if the weather holds. I'll be doing it in the garage and it's been too cold so far but the current weather in the UK is great, almost like summer!!

Thanks again,

Ian.

Mask off with packing tape rather than masking tape reducing the footprint by .75mm. After the final coat remove the tape before it hardens...

Yep - the thin stuff. Dave King idea. I don't bother. I just scrape back the finish

If u want to know if ur intonation is dead on, then before. Therefore u dont need to make any adjustments after u finished it. Or if u can't wait to c how it sounds like how I am sometimes, then b4. But it is way easier after.

Intonation is not a problem. Just put the bridge in the right place.

Ukantor.

Top Bottom