Slotted Headstocks

rclifford13

Reaction score
Hey,
Just wondering if anyone else has fallen in love with slotted headstocks like the one on Jake's uke, or on James Hill's Signature Model (below). I would love to order a custom ukulele with a slotted headstock if they weren't $300 extra!

James_Hill_SS7.jpg

This 5 string Glyph slotted headstock is insane!
5stringheadstock.jpg

Last edited:
Slotted headstocks are popular around here. I love them.
I think most custom builders charge around $150 for slot heads (William King and Glyph is right in that area).

I went with a Jake-style flattop slotted headstock when I ordered my King tenor:

DSC_8059.jpg

I don't understand why they would cost anything more....and definitely not a $150 option. From a woodworking perspective, it must be the least sophisticated part of constructing a uke.
I did an internet search of "cheap classical guitar" and found dozens of sub $100 instruments all with slotted headstocks. Doesn't seem like a big deal at all in guitars.

From what Dave Means of Glyph told me, slotted headstock takes 1-1.5 days of additional labor compared to a normal headstock and Waverly tuners costs about $140 for a set of 6 (they are mainly used on guitars). Obviously, a chinese factory made slotted headstock ukulele will cost far less (the 6 & 8-string tenors by Lanikai & Kala are in the $200 range), but $150 or so is about the going rate from many custom builders (except for Ko'olau, which charges $250, not including Waverly tuners).

From what Dave Means of Glyph told me, slotted headstock takes 1-1.5 days of additional labor compared to a normal headstock and Waverly tuners costs about $140 for a set of 6 (they are mainly used on guitars). Obviously, a chinese factory made slotted headstock ukulele will cost far less (the 6 & 8-string tenors by Lanikai & Kala are in the $200 range), but $150 or so is about the going rate from many custom builders (except for Ko'olau, which charges $250, not including Waverly tuners).

I completely understand *if* the tuners themselves cost that much more ... but a day to day-and-a-half to cut a couple slots?! That's difficult to believe. I'm a hack woodworker and could do a decent job in less than an hour.
I'll give the pros the benefit-of-doubt and assume I'm just missing something.

I am totally in love with slotted headstocks. They make the uke look very unique. I don't have one yet....But, when I get my custom uke made someday it will definitely have a slotted headstock.

I think the Flea Market Music charges $150 for their slotted headstock on their FLEA but the uke itself costs only $17. :D I dream of a pineapple Flea. :love:
FLEA-PURP_headstock-front.jpg

Last edited:
I did an internet search of "cheap classical guitar" and found dozens of sub $100 instruments all with slotted headstocks. Doesn't seem like a big deal at all in guitars.

I guess this is why I think of them as NOT such a big deal. So many cheapy guitars have them. I like the design of Koaloha's and Ogata's headstocks.

I love open headstocks, mainly because I played classical before the uke. I think mine was like 400$+ due to the inlay and the wood selection.

FullHeadStock.jpg

I've been told by someone at Taylor that the slotted headstock provides greater tension which produces a different feel and tone....so I've been told...

I've been told by someone at Taylor that the slotted headstock provides greater tension which produces a different feel and tone....so I've been told...

I would assume tension is solely the product of the strings. Any similarly sized uke with the same strings would require the same tension to have the same tuning.

I just got a copy of Taylor's newsletter/catalog "Wood & Steel". In it, they do mention that slotted headstock increases the break angle of the string over the nut, resulting a quicker attack and a little less sustain in addition to having a lighter headstock (since headstock thickness between slotted & non-slotted is about the same in guitars).

I think in ukes, the break angle is of negligible effect and the slot head actually makes the headstock slightly heavier since regular ukulele headstocks are usually thinner.

Top Bottom