wahey my first uke has just arrived

lacerveza

Reaction score
just recieved my first uke, a fender hau'oli. i've never played a uke so i have nothing to compare it to but i have had a lot of experience with acoustic guitars and based on that it seems solid and sounds nice, but the strings are horrible (ghs) so i'll have to change them and whoever strung it made a bad job of it all four strings poped out whilst tuning but i've double knotted them and run them in and now sitting having a jam with my brother. i learn't a fair bit over the past couple of weeks by putting a capo on the fifth fret of my guitar and putting a bit of card under the e and a string, sat and learn't a few songs courtesy of aldrine (cheers aldrine).

Congrats! I like the finish on those ukes (judging by the pictures anyway... never seen one in person).

Slap some Aquilas on there, and I bet you'll be good to go.

:shaka:

JJ

GHS strings aren't really that bad. They suit some of my ukes well, but others need Aquilas to wake 'em up.

Ukantor.

Congratulations, you never forget your first one. ;) The Fender Nohea is on my bucket list, and as stated in another thread by someone else with more knowledge of these things than me first year Fenders develope a collector value pretty quick of which your's is. I second the Aquila Nylgut suggestion, they made my Mele really sing. Best wishes to you and your new baby. :)

Awesome, let me know how you like it. I ordered the fender pa`ina and I'm thinking about getting this one too. It looks great in the pictures I've seen! :shaka:

now i've played the strings in it fells nice and nice tone, definately worth the money.

That's good news Lacerveza. I find that GHS strings work well on lightly-built ukes that vibrate easily, but sturdier ukes (plywood ones in particular) can benefit from the extra drive that other strings, like Aquilas, can give.

Enjoy your new uke!

Ukantor.

That's "Art" photography! Convert to black and white, makes some huge prints, you could become famous.

Nice looking uke. I like to see unconventional (for a uke) headstock shapes.

Ukantor.

i know it's sad but the headstock was one of the things that sold me on that uke, i thought even if it sounds crap it will still look good on my wall

Top Bottom