questions about baritone

Regster

Reaction score
i have one n just wondering why is the tuning different from the other ukes?

so are the chords any different than the ones used by the soprano concert n tenor, since its tuned differently?

you can still tune it to gcea. i dont know why its tuned differe. maybe because the scale is so close to a mini guitar. either way, the chord finger positions are still the same. you just have to transpose down 5 semitones.
so your C is now a G
your F is now a C
your Em is now a Bm
and so on

its basically just like playing only the first four strings of a guitar. so if you know your chords on the guitar, then it should be easy to pick up.

thank u sir, ill probably just tune it gcea since the chords that i know are from this tuning

One of the best things about string instruments is the way they transpose. All your chord shapes will still work with the baritone, they'll just have different names now.
C=G
F=C
A=E
D=A

Will it hurt the baritone to tune it to GCEA (low-G, I assume)? The reason that I ask is that I wonder how much tension the strings put on the neck and do I need special strings which can take that tension for that length? I have a baritone uke tuned to DGBE. The D and G strings are wound while the the B and E are nylon. Can I use all nylon strings? If so, where do I get all nylon for baritone? I've only seen wound D and G. Does it matter what strings I use?

its possible to tune it gcea but with tenor strings, go on youtube and search a dude named guting. He's also in this forum but posts only once and awhile. but yeah he has a rogue ukulele strung with tenor strings GCEA. But yeah for me i've only seen 2 top wound bari strings. But i'm sure u can get a Low G. The bari is jus meant to be strung like the bottom 4 strings of the guitar.

tuning to low G is easy on a baritone. just get a set of d'addario pro arte extra hard tension classical strings. i think it would be EJ44. and only use strings 1-4 on your bari. your low G will be wound, but at least its not two wound strings.

the shorter than guitar scale of your bari will make up for the tension and it will feel pretty normal.

or if your local guitar shop sells individual strings, look for the thickest #3 string you can find. it will have the diameter or gauge printed on it. and work from there, going progressively thinner and thinner till you have 4 strings. this way you will have all nylon and no wound strings. but your tension may feel soft.

I have a baritone. When I bought it it was shipped DGBE. I got some Aquila strings, tuned GCEA, high G. It's a pretty sweet setup.

well i didn't really like the sound of my bari on gcea so i retuned my bari to its original dbge n whenever i wanna play it on gcea i just put a capo on the 5th fret

Thanks for the advice. I used the d'addario pro arte extra hard suggested by NukeDOC. But, now the strings are too hard. :(

I should have read the previous post before I spent the last hour or so restringing my baritone uke to cgea. I'll probably string it back to dgbe after a few weeks...

Thanks for the advice. I used the d'addario pro arte extra hard suggested by NukeDOC. But, now the strings are too hard. :(

I should have read the previous post before I spent the last hour or so restringing my baritone uke to cgea. I'll probably string it back to dgbe after a few weeks...

dang sorry bout that. i guess every uke would be different in terms of which strngs work best. i guess i should have told you that i went through several sets of strings to find what worked with my baritone... and in the end, i still brought it back to DGBE tuning also.

Top Bottom