Trouble with ukulele size?

C-roy

Reaction score
I have been playing my baritone for about half a year.

I like the sound, but I want to try out the different sizes, and I'm pretty sure no store here in pennsylvania in the united states have them to even try.

I would think I would want a tenor, but I am not sure.

Might have to buy a crappy soprano and a tenor to see which sound I like, then get a good one.

Is it true that you can put a capo on the 5th fret of the baritone to get a soprano sound?

I like the sound, but I want to try out the different sizes, and I'm pretty sure no store here in pennsylvania in the united states have them to even try.

Might have to buy a crappy soprano and a tenor to see which sound I like, then get a good one.

Is it true that you can put a capo on the 5th fret of the baritone to get a soprano sound?

If you like the sound of the baritone, then go with a tenor size uke with a Low G string.

Like ukuleleblues said, you can put a capo on the 5th fret and get GCEA standard tuning but honestly, not even that will get you close to what a soprano sounds like. You will just have to play the soprano to find out.

Are you able to play both ukes in its own key? Baritone (DGBE) Tenor-concert-soprano (GCEA). Diferent fingering...unless you already play guitar then baritone will be no problem for you.

Last edited:
Hey thanks guys, Yeah I have been playing guitar for 3 years, and I moved on to the baritone, and I think it might be the sound I am looking for, however I want to try out the other uke sizes first.

I ordered a soprano, just so I can see what the different sounds are between the baritone, and soprano, and just so i can try the gcea.

Thanks for the suggestion Dino, with the low g on a tenor.

That's probably what I will end up doing soon.

Thanks for the idea.

The bad to this is not all Soprano's, Concerts, Tenors or Baritones sound the same...
ALOT will have to do with the type of wood, the strings, the kind of finish, the wood/string combo and the builder.
Even the same type of wood can sound different betwen 2 say Soprano's, even if they have the same strings

It's just like with Guitars not being all the same sound.

try out a King tenor...

Aloha C-Roy,

You may want to give William King's tenor ukulele and string it with a low-G. His ukes really sing and with a slightly longer/larger body as well the deep tones are accentuated. Very well balanced, exceptional projection and clean and precise notes all the way up the neck.

He builds a wonderful player uke (amongst a number of other great builders).

best,
Shawn

http://ukulelefriend.com

Top Bottom