PDA

View Full Version : Where to focus...

dirk
03-21-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm part way through the Uke Method 1 lesson book. Unfortunately, aside from this prop, the student is the teacher, so I could use a bit of coach'n.

When I'm working through a lesson, whats most important -- I'm trying to build up some muscle memory and now sure where to focus.

Is is best to focus on "connecting" fingers and tabs? Is the better combo fingers and notes? Is it fingers and sound? Since skillz=0, I can go whatever direction you suggest...

TIA,
D

deach
03-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Focus on having fun. That's what it's all about. You'll get better with time.

Yopparai
03-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Tab is a fine tool - handy for tunes you don't know or licks you just can't put your finger on - but develop your ear, too. Learn to find the melody and chords by ear and you can play anything you want.

jfcote
03-21-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm two thirds of the way into the same book (Lil Rev's right?)

Everything you mention is important I think. The exercises are basic and are well chosen to teach common chord family and basic chord shapes.

For myself, I keep going back to the same exercises to build up my finger memory for the chord shapes and the strumming patterns while exercising my tempo and getting the ukulele to sound clear.

Even if it's all basic, it takes time and practice to get it right. I repeat each exercise slowly until there's no more pause while I switch chord and the strumming is regular and sounds right. More than a week into it and I still can't get the harder chords (B♭ and such) to sound right... I'm picking up speed with the C chord family (C F D7) and the G chord family (G C D7 (still working on Em).)

Some of things that helped me is jamming a bit with a friend on the guitar with the chords I knew and doing the Aldrine's basic exercises. (Uke minutes 16, 28, 29, 39 are what I'm practicing for now.)

One of the advice I read was "better to practice half an hour a day then 2 hours every 4 days" and I think that's very valid.

Keep on strumming! :nana:

Gaby
03-21-2009, 06:06 PM
I use this method book to teach ukulele (but I also use other books) and personally found it easier for students to teach the notes first, then once that goes okay, to focus on strumming.

Some of the strumming in that book is more advanced than many complete novices can handle. It should be fine for guitarists, but for those who have never played before, I feel it is better left a bit later.

If you want to learn to read music I would advise you not to use tab at all, as that is easy and you can worry about that any time.

I agree with jfcote, you are better off going through the book at a steady pace as you can go through it in a few days and not remember anything properly. Repetition is key.

But make sure you do check out Aldrine's videos as they are great fun, and more exciting than the songs in the book :) - they should keep you motivated too.

Ukulele Friend
03-21-2009, 07:01 PM
amen...deach...that's where it should start and end....well said. (typed?)

ahui ho,
Shawn

http://ukulelefriend.com

Ukulele JJ
03-22-2009, 05:22 AM

One good way to do that is to get a crap ton of songs you're interested in playing, and just play them.

Exercises are great for learning how to shift between chords, etc. But nothing beats simply playing songs with those chords. It's like the difference between doing football drills and playing actual games.

I'd recommend getting a "fake book"--one of those with several hundred songs in it. Sure, you can Google for chords, but nine times out of ten the "internet" chords are inaccurate. Better to drop $30 or so to get the correct chords.

JJ

cjensen91910
03-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Decide on a tune you like, then go here http://www.chordie.com/ and to the right of each tab you pull up it gives the ability to go to the finger pattern for whatever you are playing, tenor, soprano, bari, etc. Find a couple of two or three chord tunes and have fun!!

dirk
03-23-2009, 03:12 AM
Thanks for all the excellent advise...

Dibblet
03-23-2009, 03:58 AM
... nine times out of ten the "internet" chords are inaccurate. Better to drop $30 or so to get the correct chords.
JJ

9 times out of 10 is a conservative estimate I'd say. You very rarely find the right changes on the web. Admittedly, "right" is to some extent a matter of opinion but a good number are wrong in a ways that definitely aren't a matter of opinion.

I'm fortunate in that I have about five feet of shelf space full of published dots that I've collected over the past 30 odd years so I don't often have to resort to the web for chords.

jfcote
03-23-2009, 01:59 PM
9 times out of 10 is a conservative estimate I'd say. You very rarely find the right changes on the web. Admittedly, "right" is to some extent a matter of opinion but a good number are wrong in a ways that definitely aren't a matter of opinion.

I'm fortunate in that I have about five feet of shelf space full of published dots that I've collected over the past 30 odd years so I don't often have to resort to the web for chords.

I found Richard G's (http://www.scorpex.net/uke.htm) chords to be pretty good... Got Space oddity and Cohen's Hallelujah from there. I'm practicing those and they sound just perfect. (The chords I mean, not my playing!)

The finished song from The Ukulizer (http://www.ukulizer.com/show_files.php?dir=english&title=Song%20List:%20+english) seem pretty good too.

dirk
03-23-2009, 02:37 PM
I found Richard G's ( the "http://www.scorpex.net/uke.htm") chords to be pretty good... Got Space oddity and Cohen's Hallelujah from there. I'm practicing those and they sound just perfect. (The chords I mean, not my playing!)

The finished song from The Ukulizer (http://www.ukulizer.com/show_files.php?dir=english&title=Song%20List:%20+english) seem pretty good too.

Wow -- thos'd be 'da motherlode! Awesome! :nana: