naming instruments?

babyirvin116

Reaction score
am i the only one that does that? haha. i just wanna know if im the only weird one.

here are the names:
1. Lumanog guitar- Niko
2. Ovation- Sodapop
3. Hawaii Uke- Ponyboy
4. Kala Uke- Kanilana Okelani

***#2 and #3 were names from one of my favorite books (the outsiders)

so what names do your instruments have?

Nah. I name mine too. My Pono cedar top is called Mortgage Payment. The Pono mango is Line of Credit. My Kalas are Snowblower 1 and Snowblower II. The Mainlaind is Sump Pump Upgrade and my Lanikai is Back Deck Repair. I name them after what I decided not to spend my money on at the time and get a uke instead... I almost got a Snow Tires uke but my wife was really upset that I wanted to spend $1,000 on an instrument in the middle of a bad winter.

I s'pose I'm an oddity, I really don't name my ukes... I call them:
The Kiwi
The Fluke
The Deachy one
or the Spruce top....

But, I call them that affectionately, so does that count?

--Nut

It's OK for girls to name inanimate objects but guys - c'mon. It's a slippery slope. Start naming your instruments and the next thing you start naming your car and then all your man-bits fall off! THAT's a scientific FACT that I just made up!

It's OK for girls to name inanimate objects but guys - c'mon. It's a slippery slope. Start naming your instruments and the next thing you start naming your car and then all your man-bits fall off! THAT's a scientific FACT that I just made up!

Naming ukes is an exception. It only leads to buying more ukes to name. Your man-bits remain, but your house doesn't. THIS is a scientific FACT that I just made up.

Men have been naming their boats for centuries, turning it from just an object or tool into a living entity and identifying it's unique personality just like each individual ukulele has. ;)

i don't name mine, guess i should tho....

Start naming your instruments and the next thing you start naming your car and then all your man-bits fall off!

That only happens if you have cute names for your man-bits. They remain firmly attached if you only refer to them by their scientific classification.

Oh, and I name my tools too. I have fondly named them Thumb-Banger and Blister-Raiser and Scratchy-Cutty-Thingie and Pointy-Sharp-Thingie and Bloody-Sharp-Thingie-Stuck-Blade-Up-in-a-Drawer and so on. My favourite is Electric-Finger-Remover.

It's a cultural thing, Hawaiians as well as many Asian cultures believe there is mana in everything and treat all things with respect. I think Western culture as a rule views inanimate objects as dead things to be exploited, sheesh even live things are exploited. A Samurai will name his sword, it stays in the family as an heirloom to be passed on for generations, a part of the family. Hawaiians name and view things in a similar way. I won't name my Crescent Wrench or car, something mass produced just not the same, but something made by hand has some of the mana of the builder in that object. Hard to understand unless you were raised with the concept.

Last edited:
I'll admit that my reason for naming is partially derived from Bleach. The weapon (or instrument, in our case) is never at its full power until you learn its name.

Nah. I name mine too. My Pono cedar top is called Mortgage Payment. The Pono mango is Line of Credit. My Kalas are Snowblower 1 and Snowblower II. The Mainlaind is Sump Pump Upgrade and my Lanikai is Back Deck Repair. I name them after what I decided not to spend my money on at the time and get a uke instead... I almost got a Snow Tires uke but my wife was really upset that I wanted to spend $1,000 on an instrument in the middle of a bad winter.

haha nice system you got there...

You just have to point out to your wife that if times get hard you can sell your ukes whereas the money spent on the other things could never be reclaimed. (Just don't get trapped defining exactly what "hard times" means.)

how did you come up with this name?
Kani = sound
Lana = afloat, or calm (as in still waters)
Okelani = from heaven

So I'm guessing he was either going for "floating sound from heaven" or "calming sound from heaven".

Last edited:
Kani = sound
Lana = afloat, or calm (as in still waters)
Okelani = from heaven

So I'm guessing he was either going for "floating sound from heaven" or "calming sound from heaven".

sorry, but i'm a stickler for proper use of `Olelo Hawai`i and i'll call it out if i see it used wrong. I have nothing against using Hawaiiana, just get it right. just giving him a heads up in my pointed sort of way. simple mistake. funny, but i think i'm turning into the old futs that gave stink eye to the Hawaiian renaissance groups in the 70s like Olomana. :eek:

fyi:

o ka = of the
`oke = to rot
ke is the definitive article ("the") in front of the vowels and the letter h.
ka for everything else including words that begin with "`" the `okina.

Kanilana-o-kalani. He inoa `olu`olu ia.

Top Bottom