ARGH... Wish I had $325.00 to burn.

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
T&K Ceniza Tenor Ukulele - $325 (Pearl City)
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/1086049620.html
3nb3p63leZZZZZZZZZ93lc11512d88c8b18af.jpg
3k83m03pdZZZZZZZZZ93lbefdfe7c8655116d.jpg

I hope a local UU member can score this deal.

I've never heard of this company... are they well known for their ukuleles? I'm not sure "good condition" is worth going for...

nice player ukes...

You don't see many stores with these ukes down here in Hawaii but there are a few who do carry them. The retail price is comparable to a KoAloha but not quite as costly as a Kamaka.

As for the sound, they play quite nicely. I like the feel of the neck and the playability of the uke as well. The string action tends to be set well on these ukes and they sound nice too.

At this price, the seller is practically giving it away. Hope someone snatches this up soon. It's a heck of a deal. :shaka:

best,
Shawn

http://ukulelefriend.com

The T&K Ceniza are made in Waianae on the island of Oahu, lesser known luthier because I believe he sells most of his stuff to high end dealers in Japan, so you know it's quality. The very few I've handled sounded extremely sweet and clear. This price is a steal and a half for a solid Koa Tenor of this quality.

HaoleJohn- translation found at Psalms 83:18 ;)

It's one of those "gems" and at that price, shootz. Das one steal . . .

TK Ceniza been around for years, seen them at Harry's Music Store back in the early 90s. Seen them in Japanese magazines also.

The T&K Ceniza are made in Waianae on the island of Oahu, lesser known luthier because I believe he sells most of his stuff to high end dealers in Japan, so you know it's quality. The very few I've handled sounded extremely sweet and clear. This price is a steal and a half for a solid Koa Tenor of this quality.

HaoleJohn- translation found at Psalms 83:18 ;)

I thought it was a Psalm. When I lived on maui our church had a phenomanal Hawaiian ministry and whenever we had a conference or special service they would always open with a chant from the Psalms. When the Wife and I come out this summer I want her to learn to Hula so that we can bring it back to Georgia and our church here. You ever read Da Jesus Book?

You ever read Da Jesus Book?

Yes I have but I do prefer the "Baibala Hemolele". This translation done by Protestant Missionaries in the early 19th century is very accurate due to the translators using older Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek manuscripts to translate from instead of the later Latin manuscripts known for omitting important details, and these same Latin manuscripts used for English translations such as the King James version, so technically the Hawaiian Translation more true to the original. Hawaiians worshiped a plethora of gods so it was very important for Hawaiians to know the name of the true Christian God to differentiate him from all the other "false" gods. The Baibala Hemolele preserved the Almighty's accepted personal name "Iehova" from the original manuscripts which aided the Hawaiian in accepting their new god. The Almighty's name is today preserved in the name several Hawaiian Churches such as the Lanakila `Ihi`ihi O Iehova o na Kaua ~ Ke'anae Congressional Church of Ke'anae Maui, and even found on Honolulu's famous Kawaiha'o Church dedicated "To Iehova our God forever and ever". http://www.hmdb.org/PhotoFullSize.asp?PhotoID=44573
The whole Hawaiian Bible "Baibala Hemolele" can be found online here: http://baibala.org/ You can also find used printed copies online on eBay and used book sellers like ABe's Books, and Alibris.com.
One interesting fact is that at the time of first contact there was no one Hawaiian language but actually many different dialects were spoken from island to island, and even different district of the larger islands. When the Holy Bible was first translated the missionaries could not translate to every known dialect in the islands, not feasible so they translated to the dialect that was the easiest for the missionaries to also speak and the most popular dialect in Honolulu the capitol. Over time the Hawaiian dialect of the Baibala Hemolele became thee accepted Hawaiian dialect. Many older Hawaiian dialects used the letters "T" and "R" in place of "K" and "L" thus sounding very similar to the Tahitian langauge and giving the Tahitian crew members of Captain James Cook the abilility to communicate and thus interpret the Hawaiian language into English even at first contact. If you look at old documents signed by King Kamehameha II aka Liholiho he signed his name Rihoriho pronounced with a rolling "R" sound instead of the "L" sound accepted today.
Note the old spelling of names on this old sea chart for the islands of Moloka'i, Lana'i, Kaho'olawe, and Maui:
c3-81a-extract2.jpg

Apologies if I bored you to death. :D

Apologies if I bored you to death. :D

i actually found that super interesting...im getting slightly obsessed with hawaiian culture/history. thank you for sharing that!

Didn't bore me to death. I must say I'm not your typical haole. I dated a Hawaiian for over two years and I got very involved in the culture. I worked on Kaho'olawe and I dabbled in learning the Hawaiian language. I really went native. My experience in Hawai'i changed me. I had never experienced racism until I went. It made me become more aware of how I acted around people and how people reacted around me. I've read shoal of time and Trasks books on soverntiy. I even wrote a 20 page paper my freshman year of college ohn Hawai'i's right for soverignty. I want a copy of the Hawaiian bible but last time i looked i could not find it cheaper than $100. I figured I'd wait until I came back to get a copy. You should start a school though. You remind me of uncle kalei who i worked with on Kaho'olawe.

Didn't bore me to death. I must say I'm not your typical haole. I dated a Hawaiian for over two years and I got very involved in the culture. I worked on Kaho'olawe and I dabbled in learning the Hawaiian language. I really went native. My experience in Hawai'i changed me. I had never experienced racism until I went. It made me become more aware of how I acted around people and how people reacted around me. I've read shoal of time and Trasks books on soverntiy. I even wrote a 20 page paper my freshman year of college ohn Hawai'i's right for soverignty. I want a copy of the Hawaiian bible but last time i looked i could not find it cheaper than $100. I figured I'd wait until I came back to get a copy. You should start a school though. You remind me of uncle kalei who i worked with on Kaho'olawe.

Aloha John,
Is the Hawaiian gal you dated your current wife? My Hawaiian language teacher in High School (over 30 years ago) was Robert Lokomaika'iokalani Snakenberg, a red haired, blue eyed Haole originally from Louisiana, and just about the nicest and most intelligent person I have ever had the pleasure of knowing and whom I still consider to this day a mentor.

Here's a copy of The Baibala Hemolele on eBay for $50. I've bought from this seller several times so can vouch for her, very reliable. She says "make an offer" so I would offer $40 and see what she says. Even $50 is a decent price, I think I paid $45 the last time I bought from her.
http://cgi.ebay.com/BAIBALA-HEMOLEL...hash=item170296625133&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

I'm way too stupid to start a school, though I'd love to be on Jeopardy. :D

Aloha John,
Is the Hawaiian gal you dated your current wife?

Here's a copy of The Baibala Hemolele on eBay for $50.

I'm way too stupid to start a school, though I'd love to be on Jeopardy. :D

Nope thankfully. My wife now is Puerto Rican/Columbian. The Hawaiian Girl and I had spiritual differences as well as her family did not like me b/c I was haole. I want my wife to learn hula though b/c my heart is in Hawaii still. Can't wait until summer. We are coming to kaneohe during summer break and I am going to try and find a job at one of the schools. If I get lucky we will be doing some serious praying.

Braddahs, you guys gotta stay on da subject so da odda membahs can get involved too.

that's my dream-- to nurture Ka `Aina back to health.

I'm really looking at a TK Ceniza. How da sound compared to a koaloha and kanile`a? happy medjum? Would love to have a West Side `Ukulele to add to the collection. UJ, you like that `ukulele? what if i paypal you and you ship it to the continent for me? hahaha UAS to da max.

Top Bottom