An Ohana factory error?

LagunaUku

Reaction score
Ok I'm the ultimate newb here...just joined UU today and have been playing for 5 days, so please excuse any forthcoming ignorance...

So I received my Ohana SK-10s last week, and I love it. According to the Ohana website (http://www.ohana-music.com/SK-10.html) it's supposed to come with "nickel friction pegs with white buttons." However on the uke I received the tuners have gears and buttons that stick out to the side. I've attached pictures below...are these friction or gear tuners? I suspect they're gear tuners, but part of me can't believe such a obvious "mistake" could occur. Has anyone bought a ukulele that came stock with different components than advertised?

I'm really not bothered either way because it plays great. I would just like to know for future reference. Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

Attachments

• 10088.jpg
    10088.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 10096.jpg
    10096.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 21
Yup, those are geared tuners. I'm not fond of friction pegs, but if you want them, it's a complete fault on their side. Contact them if you're having problems with the tuners, but personally I'd say it's an extra bonus.

If you don't have a preference between the two asthetically, then you made out great with what you received. The friction pegs you were expecting to receive have a 1:1 ratio, meaning 1 full turn of the 'button' gives you one revolution of the post the string is attached to.

The geared tuners have a ratio of somewhere between 1:14 and 1:18, which allows you a MUCH finer adjustment, making it easier to tune it more accurately.

Personally, I like the buttons sticking out the side and I like the 'old-timey' look of the gears. But that's just my opinion -- others like a cleaner/slimmer look on the headstock.

If you're good with either look, then you just got lucky with a much better tuner.

Go play, have fun!

Jimmy/Mok

Fellas, thanks for your quick reply. I stopped by a local guitar shop today to check out friction tuners, and I must say I like geared tuners much better. It's definitely a bonus! I imagine it's quite difficult to keep brand new strings in tune with friction tuners until they settle.

Thanks again.

Cheers!

Top Bottom