PDA

View Full Version : Anybody recommend any good uke case?

Cassie
10-01-2015, 02:10 AM
Hi, I'm just curious. Do any of you recommend any good uke cases? I want to get a case with my uke when I get it. If you know of any that aren't really pricey, let me know. I want to get one that would protect it in case I drop it or it falls. Nickie recommends uke crazy. It's a hard case.

Doc_J
10-01-2015, 02:35 AM
Just got one of these hard cases this week. It's a nice hard case for the money, very similar to the Uke Crazy case .

The Oahu hard case is better, but it is almost 2x the price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RLB7OPU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=AVSUU3M7YRX94

Recstar24
10-01-2015, 02:58 AM
I was going to recommend musicians gear but the one hodge posted above looks better and is cheaper.

I don't think you are going to find cheaper/better!

pbagley
10-01-2015, 03:03 AM
I have the Uke Crazy foam hard case, the one with the nylon cover that zips up. The interior is size a little generous for my Kala concert size, and the Kala is too large to fit into the Mele concert's case. Over all I like the case, but I like the hard case for the Mele better.

Cassie
10-01-2015, 03:31 AM
I have the Uke Crazy foam hard case, the one with the nylon cover that zips up. The interior is size a little generous for my Kala concert size, and the Kala is too large to fit into the Mele concert's case. Over all I like the case, but I like the hard case for the Mele better.

That's fine. My friend Erion also recommends the gator case.

hollisdwyer
10-01-2015, 05:02 AM
I guess if you're looking for a case that's not too pricey, the Uke you're going to put in it isn't too expensive either. To me that a good match. If I had a Uke that was >$800+ I'd be shopping for a better case. My favourite cases are my fibreglass Kamoa and one by the company who makes the Ameritage range, GWS (bloody heavy though).

70sSanO
10-01-2015, 05:58 AM
There are some basic considerations to protecting a ukulele. Value of the uke and the environment.

If you spend $50 on a ukulele you may not want to spend $100 on a case, unless the ukulele has special significance that there is a need to make sure it is protected. And as the value and cost goes up and the inability to replace it goes up, there is a greater need for a better case.

If you are in an environment where the uke is never going to be subjected to harsh treatment, nothing is gong to fall on the instrument and the case is merely to protect it from dust, then less can be spent on a case. I know some people leave fairly expensive ukuleles out on display.

However, if you plan on taking the ukulele out into the world so to speak, you have to consider how harsh the environment will be. If I am going to carry a ukulele on an airplane it goes in a hard case. If I am going to drive someplace I have used both a hard case and gig bag depending on which instrument I am taking. There is also a security/locking aspect when traveling that I won't go into.

For my experience, most of the damage that can happen doesn't occur when transporting/storing a uke in a case, but when using it, setting it down, playing and turning into something, etc.

John

Cassie
10-01-2015, 07:06 AM
There are some basic considerations to protecting a ukulele. Value of the uke and the environment.

If you spend $50 on a ukulele you may not want to spend $100 on a case, unless the ukulele has special significance that there is a need to make sure it is protected. And as the value and cost goes up and the inability to replace it goes up, there is a greater need for a better case.

If you are in an environment where the uke is never going to be subjected to harsh treatment, nothing is gong to fall on the instrument and the case is merely to protect it from dust, then less can be spent on a case. I know some people leave fairly expensive ukuleles out on display.

However, if you plan on taking the ukulele out into the world so to speak, you have to consider how harsh the environment will be. If I am going to carry a ukulele on an airplane it goes in a hard case. If I am going to drive someplace I have used both a hard case and gig bag depending on which instrument I am taking. There is also a security/locking aspect when traveling that I won't go into.

For my experience, most of the damage that can happen doesn't occur when transporting/storing a uke in a case, but when using it, setting it down, playing and turning into something, etc.

John

Thanks. When I learn to play, I'm planning on taking it with me to day care centers and schools to entertain kids. My overall goal is to Pass on the songs that I learned as a kid to today's kids. I could do that with my Casio but the Casio requires electricity and plus, I want to teach little kids about the uke. Of course, I'm not just going to show up with a uke and say I want to entertain the children. First, I'm going to learn to play, then contact some day care centers, schools and other places good for kids and see if I can entertain them for a while and even teach them about the uke. First, I have to learn to play.

70sSanO
10-01-2015, 07:26 AM
Thanks. When I learn to play, I'm planning on taking it with me to day care centers and schools to entertain kids. My overall goal is to Pass on the songs that I learned as a kid to today's kids. I could do that with my Casio but the Casio requires electricity and plus, I want to teach little kids about the uke. Of course, I'm not just going to show up with a uke and say I want to entertain the children. First, I'm going to learn to play, then contact some day care centers, schools and other places good for kids and see if I can entertain them for a while and even teach them about the uke. First, I have to learn to play.

Good for you.

You may then decide you want a gig bag over a hard case, but with kids it may be better (safer) with a hard case. Gator cases are nice, but they are expensive. I think what Doc_J suggested is the best for the money and for what you are doing.

John

sukie
10-01-2015, 08:32 AM
Chances are when you get your ukulele you can buy a case at the same time. Check with the uke dealer. I do recommend a hard case.

Cassie
10-01-2015, 08:51 AM
Chances are when you get your ukulele you can buy a case at the same time. Check with the uke dealer. I do recommend a hard case.

OK. I'll look in to that. Thanks

macfish
10-01-2015, 09:40 AM
I have a Mono case - pricey, but the best of the gig bags I looked at. Short of being run over, the construction and padding seem more than robust enough, and to my mind might absorb shock better than a hard case? http://monocreators.com/ukulele-cases/

Fleacia
10-01-2015, 09:45 AM
Someone hinted at this above, but not specifically. If your uke is laminate, I'd get a gig bag. Not the thinnest kind that has little or no padding, but the 15 or 20MM foam lined ones. Gig bags are easier to transport in general.

I do agree with the hard case option. I have a Guardian hardshell for my uke. But the uke is all solid wood and has a soft top. The case is expensive, but I got it pre-owned and at a big discount. I like this case for this uke, even though the case is heavy compared to the Uke Crazy cases.

When I've had laminate ukes, I used gig bags exclusively and never had a problem. And for all the talk about my uke hard case, my guitar is in a gig bag. But it's less prone to changes and accidents than the uke.

In some instances, a hard case can be overkill. I think the main thing is to be aware of how you treat the uke in general. I.e. keep it from bumping into things when it's in your hands. Avoid dropping it, the same as we (hopefully) do with other things we own. Accidents happen, but paying attention and using common sense can prevent most of them.

Cassie
10-01-2015, 09:48 AM
Someone hinted at this above, but not specifically. If your uke is laminate, I'd get a gig bag. Not the thinnest kind that has little or no padding, but the 15 or 20MM foam lined ones. Gig bags are easier to transport in general.

I do agree with the hard case option. I have a Guardian hardshell for my uke. But the uke is all solid wood and has a soft top. The case is expensive, but I got it pre-owned and at a big discount. I like this case for this uke, even though the case is heavy compared to the Uke Crazy cases.

When I've had laminate ukes, I used gig bags exclusively and never had a problem. And for all the talk about my uke hard case, my guitar is in a gig bag. But it's less prone to changes and accidents than the uke.

In some instances, a hard case can be overkill. I think the main thing is to be aware of how you treat the uke in general. I.e. keep it from bumping into things when it's in your hands. Avoid dropping it, the same as we (hopefully) do with other things we own. Accidents happen, but paying attention and using common sense can prevent most of them.

I'm still debating on which case I should get. Either hard or soft cases. I might get just a soft gig bag like you are talking about.

Cassie
10-01-2015, 09:57 AM

Thanks. I'm hoping to get a Kala soprano this Christmas. . This will be my first one so I want to be careful and not let it get busted. I'm debating on either a soft gig bag or a case. If you read my response to John's post, you'll know what I'm planning to do.

lewclev
10-01-2015, 10:09 AM
I have several hard cases ranging from the Musicians Gear to the Ko'Olau brand. These range in price from $35 to $75. I don't see a huge difference in the protections these cases offer. The Ko'Olau case that came with my Pono has a nicer look and feel; maybe nicer materials. However, I think any of the hard cases would adequately protect an ukulele in most situations.

I agree with advice given here about pricing the case according to the uke. However, I would recommend a hard shell case. A gig bag might keep the dust off and prevent a ding or two but, if some trips over or steps on your uke in a gig bag, you're going to likely have some serious damage.

mailman
10-01-2015, 10:22 AM
I have a Uke Crazy case that I use for my concert ukes. It has been fine, and protects the uke adequately, IMO.

But, recently I have been taking the uke with me more and more often, having joined a weekly jam session. Now I'm finding that I'm really tired of messing with the zippers on this type of case. The outside storage pocket that I thought would be cool ends up being something I never use.

I have a hinge topped hard case with latches for my soprano, and I find I like this style of case better. In my case (see what I did there? ;)), it's nothing more than personal preference.

I have researched hard cases for my concert, and have decided on the Oahu brand. Less expensive than the Ko'Olau, but with similar features and protection....

Cassie
10-01-2015, 10:24 AM
I have several hard cases ranging from the Musicians Gear to the Ko'Olau brand. These range in price from $35 to $75. I don't see a huge difference in the protections these cases offer. The Ko'Olau case that came with my Pono has a nicer look and feel; maybe nicer materials. However, I think any of the hard cases would adequately protect an ukulele in most situations.

I agree with advice given here about pricing the case according to the uke. However, I would recommend a hard shell case. A gig bag might keep the dust off and prevent a ding or two but, if some trips over or steps on your uke in a gig bag, you're going to likely have some serious damage.

OK. That might be better if the kids I'm performing for trip on it or it slips out of my hand. I'll look into that. They both have nice advantages. B

mailman
10-01-2015, 10:40 AM
I have seen instances with ukes and kids that were scary. I've seen uke cases stood upon and sat upon by different kids at different times. If I were planning on carrying my uke into a kid-rich setting, I'd want a something more substantial than a gig bag.

Also, the more often you take your uke out and about, the more likely that it may get dropped, banged, bumped or whatever. Just sayin'....

Cassie
10-01-2015, 11:50 AM
I have seen instances with ukes and kids that were scary. I've seen uke cases stood upon and sat upon by different kids at different times. If I were planning on carrying my uke into a kid-rich setting, I'd want a something more substantial than a gig bag.

Also, the more often you take your uke out and about, the more likely that it may get dropped, banged, bumped or whatever. Just sayin'....

Yep. That's the main reason I'm asking about Cases in the first place. I know kids can be a little rough with there's and other kids' toys. That's one of the reasons why I was looking into a hard case.

sukie
10-01-2015, 12:39 PM
How humid is it in your area? If it's dry in winter, I prefer the hard case for keeping a humidifier in it. But....is a Kala, I think you are getting a Kala, a laminate?

Cassie
10-01-2015, 12:52 PM
How humid is it in your area? If it's dry in winter, I prefer the hard case for keeping a humidifier in it. But....is a Kala, I think you are getting a Kala, a laminate?

I want a Kala or a Lanikai soprano for Christmas. I'm not sure if it's laminate or not but i have a feeling it will be. It's pretty dry here in our house. Outside in the winter, It feels pretty dry unless it has been raining. In the summer, it's so sticky and humid outside but pretty dry in the house. Our central heating system doesn't have a humidifier that I know of. One time in the summer, our AC messed up and it felt quite sticky in the house. Plus, I hear that humidifiers can cause a lot of dust in the house and mom hates a lot of dust on her furniture. I might need to look into a talking humidity gage if they even make them. That way I can keep track of how humid it is and if I need a humidifier for my case.

mm stan
10-01-2015, 01:03 PM
Cassie i think these cases would fit your purpose, no blingy but serves its purpose
Buy it now as this is a special sale for a short period
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/luna-guitars-lightweight-case-for-soprano-ukuleles
This is only 25.00 and a foam hard case

Mivo
10-01-2015, 01:04 PM
For a lower-priced, less sensitive instrument, I'd prefer a padded gig bag. A gig bag with a strap, so you can carry it on your back, is more convenient for every day use than a hard case. It's also more flexible and typically has extra room for accessories (more than most cheaper cases at least).

A humidifier, in this context, is just a small thing that regulates the humidity in a case. It's not affecting the room. (It's not one of those larger, electronic machines that you'd put in the corner of a house.) You don't need one for a laminated instrument.

Cassie
10-01-2015, 01:36 PM
For a lower-priced, less sensitive instrument, I'd prefer a padded gig bag. A gig bag with a strap, so you can carry it on your back, is more convenient for every day use than a hard case. It's also more flexible and typically has extra room for accessories (more than most cheaper cases at least).

A humidifier, in this context, is just a small thing that regulates the humidity in a case. It's not affecting the room. (It's not one of those larger, electronic machines that you'd put in the corner of a house.) You don't need one for a laminated instrument.

Oh, OK. I don't know if it's going to be laminate or not. We'll know that come Christmas time. Seems like the gig bag and the case both have nice advantages. I'm still debating on which I could get.

crisson
10-01-2015, 03:06 PM
When I ordered my uke from HMS, I also ordered the Oahu hard shell case. I really like it but it was an extra $69 which may be more than you want to spend. It has a very nice lining and my uke fits in it perfectly. It also has a pocket where you can store strings, tuner, humidifier, etc. Finally, it has a lock which may or may not be important to you. I am very happy with the case.

Cassie
10-01-2015, 03:42 PM
When I ordered my uke from HMS, I also ordered the Oahu hard shell case. I really like it but it was an extra $69 which may be more than you want to spend. It has a very nice lining and my uke fits in it perfectly. It also has a pocket where you can store strings, tuner, humidifier, etc. Finally, it has a lock which may or may not be important to you. I am very happy with the case.

That's awesome. I'm asking for a uke from my mom for Christmas. I don't know how much she'd be willing to spend on a case. All of your recommendations are really good. I'll look in to a lot of cases and gig bags when I get mine. The case might have to wait until my birthday. I'll probably have a better idea of what case I should get when I actually get the uke. I was just asking to see what you guys recommended.

mm stan
10-02-2015, 02:37 AM
FIVE DOLLAR HARD FOAM CASE ON CRAIGSLIST HAWAII
https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/5242028012.html

mds725
10-02-2015, 08:54 AM
This probably is more applicable for higher-end ukuleles, but Gordon at Mya-Moe made this video about what he looks for in a good case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U04_XIWzM94

Cassie
10-02-2015, 04:12 PM
This probably is more applicable for higher-end ukuleles, but Gordon at Mya-Moe made this video about what he looks for in a good case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U04_XIWzM94

He seems to have some really nice cases. Thanks.

ksiegel
10-02-2015, 06:33 PM
I have my KoAloha Sceptre in an Oahu hard case, my Kala Cedar Top in a Fremont Rectangle case, my Cordoba in a Uke Crazy Hard Shell case, the Donaldson in an Ameritage case, the Waverly Street in a banjo Uke case from Elderly Instruments, the National Reso and the Ohanas in their original cases, the Fluke in a Fluke Gator Case, the Firefly in a Colorado Gig bag, the Stella Banjo Uke in the Cordoba gig bag, the Les Paul in the Epiphone Gig bag (need something better for it, though) a spare Uke Crazy foam case, and a Reunion case for local gigs with a tenor uke.

The others rarely leave the house, but are in the cases that they came with.

All of them have home-made humidifiers tucked in with them.

-Kurt

Cassie
10-03-2015, 02:04 AM
Perspective! You're talking about a $100-150 uke, not a K brand or custom. If kids wreck your uke, make their parents replace it, at full cost and from the same vendor (i.e. with the same quality setup). You shouldn't have to pay a small fortune to protect your uke from their varmints.

The Uke Crazy case is a bit more protective than a quality, well-padded gig bag, but it's not a true hard case; it's a soft-foam case. I wouldn't trust it to survive either airline baggage handling or kids sitting or falling on it (and the shape is more likely to invite kids to sit on it). I've had trouble with each Uke Crazy case I own. The zippers are cheap and prone to snag. One tab pulled off with just a gentle tug. One arrived with a cracked interior compartment flap, so that it doesn't close completely. On one, the exterior compartment was sewn on upside down. The velcro flap that fits under the handle serves not real purpose but to get in the way, and the strap that keeps the top from flopping horizontal is sewn in so close to the zipper (rather than onto the interior edge) that it routinely gets caught as you try zipping the case close. There are reasons why decent hard cases cost $80 and up, and the Uke Crazy case exemplifies them all.

In contrast, I love my Cordoba gig bag. Thickly padded to cradle and protect your uke from the usual knocks and topples; quality, larger-toothed zippers with tabs that can't pull loose and operate more smoothly than on any other bag or case I own; a built-out exterior compartment. Yet they only cost $25-30.

Thanks. I don't know how much my uke will cost since it will b a Christmas gift. I just want something to keep it protected when I'm around kids.

Kayak Jim
10-03-2015, 09:45 AM
Be cautious if buying a hard case by mail. After I got my Koaloha concert I ordered a Uke Crazy hard case only to discover the uke was too big. Fortunately it would fit nicely in the hard case I got with my Mainland, and the Mainland in the Uke Crazy. If that hadn't worked I would have been bummed!

Cassie
10-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Be cautious if buying a hard case by mail. After I got my Koaloha concert I ordered a Uke Crazy hard case only to discover the uke was too big. Fortunately it would fit nicely in the hard case I got with my Mainland, and the Mainland in the Uke Crazy. If that hadn't worked I would have been bummed!

OK. You all have such good ideas.

kkimura
10-04-2015, 03:24 AM
I used to have padded gig bags for my ukes, which were fine for around the house. But, when I started to travel with my ukes I got paranoid about those heavy spring loaded hotel doors crushing my uke while I was trying to get into and out of hotel rooms. So I switched to hard cases.

Recstar24
10-04-2015, 04:34 AM
Thanks. I don't know how much my uke will cost since it will b a Christmas gift. I just want something to keep it protected when I'm around kids.

If it's just a lower value uke, I would just use a cheap gig bag. I bet your gift may actually come with one!

Some of the case recommendations here are a little bit overkill. I would not recommend my custom GWW or my $$$$ ameritage case, as they are bulky. A cheap gig bag should be all you need.

Bille
10-30-2015, 10:30 AM
I just got a Crossrock 1000 fiberglass case for my soprano Ukulele. It is beautiful, it is very durable (protective) the fit is snug, the clasps are solid (one is lockable), there are built-in feet, the shoulder strap is nice, there is a small storage compartment plus a little more storage space below the head. The finish is shiny black (will probably scuff, but it will be carry-on luggage, so I'll be careful) and tasteful. I'm extremely pleased with the looks, construction and function.8481684817

macfish
01-18-2016, 09:28 AM
Just to chime in late in the game. Kamaka sells their cases individually, and if your uke needs/wants a very nice hard case, I recommend them highly. Not sure of the difference between Kamaka and Oahu cases, but the Kamaka is an arch top and seems more gentle on the bridge than others I've looked at. I emailed them the dimensions of my uke, they were very responsive, and I'm completely happy with their case for my custom tenor. Mya Moe understandably would not sell a case for other instruments - they are in the ukulele business, not the case business. I loved the Mono M80, but once the Kamaka arrived, I sold it. Shipping from Hawaii is not cheap, but for me this was the best hard case for me.