Anybody recommend any good uke case?

Cassie

Reaction score
Hi, I'm just curious. Do any of you recommend any good uke cases? I want to get a case with my uke when I get it. If you know of any that aren't really pricey, let me know. I want to get one that would protect it in case I drop it or it falls. Nickie recommends uke crazy. It's a hard case.

I was going to recommend musicians gear but the one hodge posted above looks better and is cheaper.

I don't think you are going to find cheaper/better!

I have the Uke Crazy foam hard case, the one with the nylon cover that zips up. The interior is size a little generous for my Kala concert size, and the Kala is too large to fit into the Mele concert's case. Over all I like the case, but I like the hard case for the Mele better.

I have the Uke Crazy foam hard case, the one with the nylon cover that zips up. The interior is size a little generous for my Kala concert size, and the Kala is too large to fit into the Mele concert's case. Over all I like the case, but I like the hard case for the Mele better.

That's fine. My friend Erion also recommends the gator case.

I guess if you're looking for a case that's not too pricey, the Uke you're going to put in it isn't too expensive either. To me that a good match. If I had a Uke that was >$800+ I'd be shopping for a better case. My favourite cases are my fibreglass Kamoa and one by the company who makes the Ameritage range, GWS (bloody heavy though).

There are some basic considerations to protecting a ukulele. Value of the uke and the environment.

If you spend $50 on a ukulele you may not want to spend $100 on a case, unless the ukulele has special significance that there is a need to make sure it is protected. And as the value and cost goes up and the inability to replace it goes up, there is a greater need for a better case.

If you are in an environment where the uke is never going to be subjected to harsh treatment, nothing is gong to fall on the instrument and the case is merely to protect it from dust, then less can be spent on a case. I know some people leave fairly expensive ukuleles out on display.

However, if you plan on taking the ukulele out into the world so to speak, you have to consider how harsh the environment will be. If I am going to carry a ukulele on an airplane it goes in a hard case. If I am going to drive someplace I have used both a hard case and gig bag depending on which instrument I am taking. There is also a security/locking aspect when traveling that I won't go into.

For my experience, most of the damage that can happen doesn't occur when transporting/storing a uke in a case, but when using it, setting it down, playing and turning into something, etc.

John

There are some basic considerations to protecting a ukulele. Value of the uke and the environment.

If you spend $50 on a ukulele you may not want to spend $100 on a case, unless the ukulele has special significance that there is a need to make sure it is protected. And as the value and cost goes up and the inability to replace it goes up, there is a greater need for a better case.

If you are in an environment where the uke is never going to be subjected to harsh treatment, nothing is gong to fall on the instrument and the case is merely to protect it from dust, then less can be spent on a case. I know some people leave fairly expensive ukuleles out on display.

However, if you plan on taking the ukulele out into the world so to speak, you have to consider how harsh the environment will be. If I am going to carry a ukulele on an airplane it goes in a hard case. If I am going to drive someplace I have used both a hard case and gig bag depending on which instrument I am taking. There is also a security/locking aspect when traveling that I won't go into.

For my experience, most of the damage that can happen doesn't occur when transporting/storing a uke in a case, but when using it, setting it down, playing and turning into something, etc.

John

Thanks. When I learn to play, I'm planning on taking it with me to day care centers and schools to entertain kids. My overall goal is to Pass on the songs that I learned as a kid to today's kids. I could do that with my Casio but the Casio requires electricity and plus, I want to teach little kids about the uke. Of course, I'm not just going to show up with a uke and say I want to entertain the children. First, I'm going to learn to play, then contact some day care centers, schools and other places good for kids and see if I can entertain them for a while and even teach them about the uke. First, I have to learn to play.

Thanks. When I learn to play, I'm planning on taking it with me to day care centers and schools to entertain kids. My overall goal is to Pass on the songs that I learned as a kid to today's kids. I could do that with my Casio but the Casio requires electricity and plus, I want to teach little kids about the uke. Of course, I'm not just going to show up with a uke and say I want to entertain the children. First, I'm going to learn to play, then contact some day care centers, schools and other places good for kids and see if I can entertain them for a while and even teach them about the uke. First, I have to learn to play.

Good for you.

You may then decide you want a gig bag over a hard case, but with kids it may be better (safer) with a hard case. Gator cases are nice, but they are expensive. I think what Doc_J suggested is the best for the money and for what you are doing.

John

Chances are when you get your ukulele you can buy a case at the same time. Check with the uke dealer. I do recommend a hard case.

Someone hinted at this above, but not specifically. If your uke is laminate, I'd get a gig bag. Not the thinnest kind that has little or no padding, but the 15 or 20MM foam lined ones. Gig bags are easier to transport in general.

I do agree with the hard case option. I have a Guardian hardshell for my uke. But the uke is all solid wood and has a soft top. The case is expensive, but I got it pre-owned and at a big discount. I like this case for this uke, even though the case is heavy compared to the Uke Crazy cases.

When I've had laminate ukes, I used gig bags exclusively and never had a problem. And for all the talk about my uke hard case, my guitar is in a gig bag. But it's less prone to changes and accidents than the uke.

In some instances, a hard case can be overkill. I think the main thing is to be aware of how you treat the uke in general. I.e. keep it from bumping into things when it's in your hands. Avoid dropping it, the same as we (hopefully) do with other things we own. Accidents happen, but paying attention and using common sense can prevent most of them.

Someone hinted at this above, but not specifically. If your uke is laminate, I'd get a gig bag. Not the thinnest kind that has little or no padding, but the 15 or 20MM foam lined ones. Gig bags are easier to transport in general.

I do agree with the hard case option. I have a Guardian hardshell for my uke. But the uke is all solid wood and has a soft top. The case is expensive, but I got it pre-owned and at a big discount. I like this case for this uke, even though the case is heavy compared to the Uke Crazy cases.

When I've had laminate ukes, I used gig bags exclusively and never had a problem. And for all the talk about my uke hard case, my guitar is in a gig bag. But it's less prone to changes and accidents than the uke.

In some instances, a hard case can be overkill. I think the main thing is to be aware of how you treat the uke in general. I.e. keep it from bumping into things when it's in your hands. Avoid dropping it, the same as we (hopefully) do with other things we own. Accidents happen, but paying attention and using common sense can prevent most of them.

I'm still debating on which case I should get. Either hard or soft cases. I might get just a soft gig bag like you are talking about.

Thanks. I'm hoping to get a Kala soprano this Christmas. . This will be my first one so I want to be careful and not let it get busted. I'm debating on either a soft gig bag or a case. If you read my response to John's post, you'll know what I'm planning to do.

I have several hard cases ranging from the Musicians Gear to the Ko'Olau brand. These range in price from $35 to $75. I don't see a huge difference in the protections these cases offer. The Ko'Olau case that came with my Pono has a nicer look and feel; maybe nicer materials. However, I think any of the hard cases would adequately protect an ukulele in most situations.

I agree with advice given here about pricing the case according to the uke. However, I would recommend a hard shell case. A gig bag might keep the dust off and prevent a ding or two but, if some trips over or steps on your uke in a gig bag, you're going to likely have some serious damage.

I have a Uke Crazy case that I use for my concert ukes. It has been fine, and protects the uke adequately, IMO.

But, recently I have been taking the uke with me more and more often, having joined a weekly jam session. Now I'm finding that I'm really tired of messing with the zippers on this type of case. The outside storage pocket that I thought would be cool ends up being something I never use.

I have a hinge topped hard case with latches for my soprano, and I find I like this style of case better. In my case (see what I did there? ;)), it's nothing more than personal preference.

I have researched hard cases for my concert, and have decided on the Oahu brand. Less expensive than the Ko'Olau, but with similar features and protection....

I have several hard cases ranging from the Musicians Gear to the Ko'Olau brand. These range in price from $35 to $75. I don't see a huge difference in the protections these cases offer. The Ko'Olau case that came with my Pono has a nicer look and feel; maybe nicer materials. However, I think any of the hard cases would adequately protect an ukulele in most situations.

I agree with advice given here about pricing the case according to the uke. However, I would recommend a hard shell case. A gig bag might keep the dust off and prevent a ding or two but, if some trips over or steps on your uke in a gig bag, you're going to likely have some serious damage.

OK. That might be better if the kids I'm performing for trip on it or it slips out of my hand. I'll look into that. They both have nice advantages. B

Last edited:
I have seen instances with ukes and kids that were scary. I've seen uke cases stood upon and sat upon by different kids at different times. If I were planning on carrying my uke into a kid-rich setting, I'd want a something more substantial than a gig bag.

Also, the more often you take your uke out and about, the more likely that it may get dropped, banged, bumped or whatever. Just sayin'....

I have seen instances with ukes and kids that were scary. I've seen uke cases stood upon and sat upon by different kids at different times. If I were planning on carrying my uke into a kid-rich setting, I'd want a something more substantial than a gig bag.

Also, the more often you take your uke out and about, the more likely that it may get dropped, banged, bumped or whatever. Just sayin'....

Yep. That's the main reason I'm asking about Cases in the first place. I know kids can be a little rough with there's and other kids' toys. That's one of the reasons why I was looking into a hard case.

Top Bottom