Salty Dog Blues.

Rllink

Reaction score
I don't know what you call it, but someone mentioned Salty Dog Blues some time ago in a post, and I asked about it. It has an interesting chord progression, and when I searched it on the internet, I found the Darlings, on the Andy Griffith Show playing it. So I found the words, worked on it, and made it mine. So what genre is the Salty Dog Blues, and what are some other songs like that? One note, if there are others with that same progression, it would be easy to add them to my repritoire, but any of those jug band songs would be fun.

A few that come to mind (just before I drop off into naptime) are TAKE YOUR FINGERS OFF IT; Pat Sky's HANGING 'ROUND and TALKING UNDERTAKER BLUES; the Holy Modal Rounders' EUPHORIA; some old jazz/trad standards: SHINE ON HARVEST MOON; SWEET GEORGIA BROWN; ANY TIME; THERE'LL BE SOME CHANGES MADE; YOU MUST HAVE BEEN A BEAUTIFUL BABY; UP A LAZY RIVER; SEEMS LIKE OLD TIMES. Those should get you started.

EDIT: Oh yeah, can't forget WASHINGTON AT VALLEY FORGE; the Jim Kweskin version is perfect for 'uke.

Last edited:
A few that come to mind (just before I drop off into naptime) are TAKE YOUR FINGERS OFF IT; Pat Sky's HANGING 'ROUND and TALKING UNDERTAKER BLUES; the Holy Modal Rounders' EUPHORIA; some old jazz/trad standards: SHINE ON HARVEST MOON; SWEET GEORGIA BROWN; ANY TIME; THERE'LL BE SOME CHANGES MADE; YOU MUST HAVE BEEN A BEAUTIFUL BABY; UP A LAZY RIVER; SEEMS LIKE OLD TIMES. Those should get you started.

EDIT: Oh yeah, can't forget WASHINGTON AT VALLEY FORGE; the Jim Kweskin version is perfect for 'uke.

Boy, did that list of songs flash me back to Greenwich Village in the early 1960's. Used to see all those mentioned playing in small coffee houses and college concert halls. Thanks for the memories, I remember that era with great fondness.

Top Bottom