Another school shooting in the USA.
So sad but not unexpected.

Patrick Madsen
10-01-2015, 06:24 PM
You said it all Pa.

pritch
10-01-2015, 09:13 PM
That was quick. .

Despite my relatively advanced age, human behaviour can still startle me sometimes. The shooter said on the 'Net that he was going to do this and the trolls encouraged him. If it turns out they are not quite as anonymous as they thought they were, that'd be fine by me.

Still Pa, another good song. Keep writing.

Brian1
10-01-2015, 11:44 PM
Another school shooting in the USA.
So sad but not unexpected.

I'm all for you expressing yourself through music so don't take this the wrong way when I ask: why do you focus on the current (some might say political) events in another country ?

stevepetergal
10-02-2015, 01:12 AM
don't take this the wrong way when I ask: why do you focus on the current events in another country ?

Outrage is outrage. We speak (and sing) out about atrocities globally. Don't you think we should? Admit it Brian1, you;re upset about something happening in some country other than your own.

stevepetergal
10-02-2015, 01:15 AM
Great song, pabrizzer. I thank you for the music and the commentary regarding the social disease in my country.

buddhuu
10-02-2015, 04:12 AM
We've received a report about this thread.

I think expression of concerns through music is a valid artistic and social function. That said, I understand why some members may consider the timing a little quick - even too quick. Pain hasn't even begun to fade yet.

I also understand the questioning of why onlookers should offer commentary on events in other countries but, as this forum shows, distance isn't that much of a separator of humanity these days.

The song can stay and the thread will continue for now. That said, if you are thinking of posting in this thread please tread VERY carefully indeed. Anyone crass enough to use this situation as an excuse for starting trouble will receive the attention they deserve.

Peace.

UncleMoon
10-02-2015, 04:26 AM
Nicely done Pabrizzer. Without social commentary there are many musicians we (the world) would have never heard from.

buddhuu
10-02-2015, 04:44 AM
If you think about it, this song has probably been in the process of being written since Sandy Hook or before. There is no "right" time to discuss, write, sing, or even politicize things of this nature. Truly, the time is now.
A fair point, and I'm inclined to agree, but it doesn't demand too much empathy to understand and respect that other people may not see it that way at the moment.

Gmoney
10-02-2015, 07:22 AM
Good song, thanks for sharing. IN the tradition of great folk songs, current events are appropriate content.

And... IMO a crazy/evil man/woman/child is going to use whatever means/tool is "at hand" to wreck tragedies like this most recent one.

Prayers for the families of all who lost a loved one, or is recovering in the hospital, or directly witnessed this senseless tragedy.

Brian1
10-02-2015, 08:04 AM
Outrage is outrage. We speak (and sing) out about atrocities globally. Don't you think we should? Admit it Brian1, you;re upset about something happening in some country other than your own.

Of course and my message addressed that. I also addressed that one country was mentioned out side the song in text in the comments that focused on one country. In fact my question was why he didn't sing about global issues and focus on more than one country. I didn't comment in response to the song I removed the song from the quote. So to answer your question yes there are many things happening all over the world that I think deserve attention. I am a little surprised current events from only one of those foreign countries is focused on. There were things happening in Syria the same day for example that were also "sad, but not unexpected" involving multiple countries that I was surprised didn't get a little more attention and thought I would ask the artist about his inspiration or connection to a particular place.

My intention was not to question his views, but understand his connection to them. Without that understanding of the connection to the meaning of a song it can't be fully appreciated.

Brian1
10-02-2015, 08:10 AM
It's unfortunate that there will always. always, always, be folk that think it's off base, too soon, too...something, for their sensitive ears to hear at any given moment. Time frame for tragedy (hmmm, good band name..) is pretty irrelevant on a national scope. it's also fairly subjective in regard to respect on a national scope. For the victim's families, some may want the conversation to start yesterday. I know I would.

So, respect who? And respect them how? By silence? Idunno, I don't think that's a good idea. And songs have always been a direct route to getting the conversation going. Sure, we don't need to talk about gun control or political issues in a forum that prefers those things stay out, but songs (which this is) have always been the main driver in music forums. Look at the song section, and you'll rarely, if ever, see lyrics being dissected, they're either commented as to the enjoyment factor given, or not commented at all. For some reason a song about current events always seems to get some folks who would never comment otherwise to come out and voice their displeasure.

There is something terribly wrong with that, from a songwriter's perspective. I would suggest that the element of respect in this instance come from the people posting, not the songwriter.

I agree (btw) with the first two paragraphs. Everyone should of course respect each other here regardless of their differences.

pabrizzer
10-03-2015, 10:37 AM
Of course and my message addressed that. I also addressed that one country was mentioned out side the song in text in the comments that focused on one country. In fact my question was why he didn't sing about global issues and focus on more than one country. I didn't comment in response to the song I removed the song from the quote. So to answer your question yes there are many things happening all over the world that I think deserve attention. I am a little surprised current events from only one of those foreign countries is focused on. There were things happening in Syria the same day for example that were also "sad, but not unexpected" involving multiple countries that I was surprised didn't get a little more attention and thought I would ask the artist about his inspiration or connection to a particular place.

My intention was not to question his views, but understand his connection to them. Without that understanding of the connection to the meaning of a song it can't be fully appreciated.

You see Syria is a war zone. A big mess that deserves comment certainly.
Kids going to school shouldn't be a war zone. Or the movie theatre or the church or any other place in a country not at war.

And some one mentioned 'too soon' - this song is about all the mass shootings that have happened in the past and about the next one and the one after that and the one after that and the one after that and ...

And my song gets reported?
This song ain't the problem.

But I guess shooting the messenger is pretty appropriate.

Brian1
10-03-2015, 10:58 AM
You see Syria is a war zone. A big mess that deserves comment certainly.
Kids going to school shouldn't be a war zone. Or the movie theatre or the church or any other place in a country not at war.

And some one mentioned 'too soon' - this song is about all the mass shootings that have happened in the past and about the next one and the one after that and the one after that and the one after that and ...

And my song gets reported?
This song ain't the problem.

But I guess shooting the massager is pretty appropriate.

I don't think it was mentioned that your song got reported (I certainly didn't report it) I assumed it was my post that got reported. I am a bit of a free speech nut so I am all for your posting of this song or any other... (that part was edited out of the reply to me that you quoted by the person I was replying to.)

And I agree people should feel safe at school, or at a theater but (and I am trying not to step over the line that makes people squawk) I disagree that those places are war zones. War zones have people fighting on both sides public shootings only have one person shooting.

So I hope you don't feel I was shooting the messenger, I was trying to find out more about both the messenger and the message. :)

CeeJay
10-03-2015, 11:34 AM
You say message , I say massage .

Adopt Clouseau like accent: "I 'ave a massage fer yoooou"

Little light into a dark place .

pabrizzer
10-03-2015, 11:43 AM
I don't think it was mentioned that your song got reported (I certainly didn't report it) I assumed it was my post that got reported. I am a bit of a free speech nut so I am all for your posting of this song or any other... (that part was edited out of the reply to me that you quoted by the person I was replying to.)

And I agree people should feel safe at school, or at a theater but (and I am trying not to step over the line that makes people squawk) I disagree that those places are war zones. War zones have people fighting on both sides public shootings only have one person shooting.

So I hope you don't feel I was shooting the messenger, I was trying to find out more about both the messenger and the message. :)

I knew it would not have been you who reported the song - you actually take the time to make a comment.
But yes it has been reported.

Knew I spelt 'messenger' wrong - should have checked.

I will say that the shooters usually get shot sometimes by their own hand but usually by the authorities quite rightly shooting back. But I agree they are not war zone but precious lives are being lost just like they are in war zones - that's the point I was trying to make.
And what I really don't understand is that there seems to be an acceptance that these things will just keep happening - as one of your presidential hopefuls said - "stuff happens".

Australia had a very bad mass shooting in Tasmania in 1996.
Some things changed and we haven't had anything like it since. No not stopped all together but .....

No more comments from me here though.
I see stuff on the news and sometimes I am moved to write a song about it.

pabrizzer
10-03-2015, 11:47 AM
See now I'm glad I spelt messenger wrong - it lightened the mood considerably.

pabrizzer
10-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Don't know how it got to be massager - my brain hurts.

Brian1
10-03-2015, 12:24 PM
I knew it would not have been you who reported the song - you actually take the time to make a comment.

cool :)

And what I really don't understand is that there seems to be an acceptance that these things will just keep happening - as one of your presidential hopefuls said - "stuff happens".

This is the tricky part of the post for me like walking a tight rope w/o a net. I don't think there is an acceptance. But it makes me wonder why the shooter posted the BBC documentary that was very anti-sandyhook before he did what he did. I sometimes think it has to do with upsetting the people who are easily upset. (and not that this is a minor thing)

Now watch as I stand on one leg on that tight rope... The "stuff happens" quote you mention was not talking about shootings although that is how it is being reported. It was about Hurricanes and other tragedies in Florida while he was governor there. But that guy is currently at 4% of less than half of the electorate. (so it probably doesn't matter at this point I decided not to link to it but the full question and answer is easily found.)

I am aware of some of those things that changed in Australia, and of the horrible shooting in Tasmainia as well as the violence rate before and after because that is a discussion I have had many times before. Probably best not to have it here :)

stevepetergal
10-04-2015, 04:34 AM
...my question was why he didn't sing about global issues and focus on more than one country...
Well, the incident that seems to have inspired the song is an occurrence of something that only happens in one country. There have been 142 school shootings in the United States since the Sandy Hook shooting, less than three years. This happens nowhere else. It's a global issue in that the "globe" has one country with this massive problem. The entire world is horrified by this and artists around the globe, like the global public, seem able to see it better than we in the US. Please, shine a light. This is the responsibility of the global artist.

The Big Kahuna
10-04-2015, 04:42 AM
Well, the incident that seems to have inspired the song is an occurrence of something that only happens in one country. There have been 142 school shootings in the United States since the Sandy Hook shooting, less than three years. This happens nowhere else. It's a global issue in that the "globe" has one country with this massive problem. The entire world is horrified by this and artists around the globe, like the global public, seem able to see it better than we in the US. Please, shine a light. This is the responsibility of the global artist.

^^^ This ^^^

Dearman
10-04-2015, 07:18 AM

I think you both should should look up the Pabrizzer's other songs. I too wondered why the focus on the US after two on Trump and this one but looking at other posts I find one referencing the refugee crisis in Europe and the missing school girls from Africa. Obviously the Pabrizzer is expressing himself on a variety of issues in the world. Some I disagree with, some I don't but I enjoy hearing his expression.

Brian1
10-04-2015, 10:58 AM

Just as a point of information mass murder in schools is not strictly a US thing. As mentioned in this thread already by the OP Tasmania has had one that lead to new laws being passed in 12 days. But in 2010 there was the The Napig School Massacre in China. And throughout the recent years there has been Aarhas Univiersity Shooting in Denmark. The Ecole Polytechique Massacure in Canda. The Dunblane school massacure in Scottland. A few years ago Norway had an attack a 32 y/o killed 80 people.There are many more, there have been this type of thing in Russia, and throughout Europe. (just naming a few)

The Big Kahuna
10-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Just as a point of information mass murder in schools is not strictly a US thing. As mentioned in this thread already by the OP Tasmania has had one that lead to new laws being passed in 12 days. But in 2010 there was the The Napig School Massacre in China. And throughout the recent years there has been Aarhas Univiersity Shooting in Denmark. The Ecole Polytechique Massacure in Canda. The Dunblane school massacure in Scottland. A few years ago Norway had an attack a 32 y/o killed 80 people.There are many more, there have been this type of thing in Russia, and throughout Europe. (just naming a few)

And all of them together hardly add up to 142 in 3 years. Additionally, in almost every other country they led to significant changes in gun ownership law, including an outright ban on handguns in England.

That should tell you something about the mindset of the USA/NRA vs the rest of the world.

pabrizzer
10-04-2015, 11:37 AM

The tragedy in Tasmania was not a school shooting.

Brian1
10-04-2015, 12:03 PM
The tragedy in Tasmania was not a school shooting.

My apologies to wherever they need to be. I was thinking Port Arthur.

Just for anyone interested my interest in this subject isn't particularly pro gun. ALthough I don't normally admit i DONT own one my family has been directly affected by the outrage over this sort of thing :
http://www.kmbc.com/news/op-police-activity-affects-elementary-school/32052534

In the above link is a news story about my nephew. Who while attending private school got out early for a holiday last March. For his birthday he received from his father (who is/was not living with my sister) a toy gun against my sister's wishes. (it shot plastic pellets however he did not have plastic pellets to shoot it.) The gun is not a "plastic BB gun" it is far less powerful I know this because I have shot it at his grandmothers screen door last summer.

Regardless, he was home early playing with it in his fenced in back yard when a neighbor who is (imo) overly hyped about school shootings sees him playing with it and decides to call the police and report a man (although she knew he was hardly a teenager and knows him) was in my sister's back yard with a gun.

To make a long story short after One nearby elementry schools was locked down, Two Helicopters circled their house, Three news crews, and a SWAT team who raided my sisters house dragged out my two nieces and nephew aged 10-16 and handcuffed them face down on their front lawn and posted my sisters house number on the news.

Why did the above happen ? IMO it was because there is more hype than facts about this type of situation (which is horrible) Some may believe that my nephew should not have been playing with a legal toy marked as such (bright orange) in his fenced in back yard. I understand that. His mother would agree with you. But I do believe there is some "over-reaction" when this type of thing takes place. One female police officer told my sister had he still been outside when they arrived they probably would have shot HIM. That does not make the shooting in Oregon any less serious but I do think that the outrage has reached near propaganda levels.

johnson430
10-04-2015, 04:19 PM
Excellent. We need a man like you making songs like this in times like these.

La Perdrix
10-04-2015, 09:30 PM
something happens and someone sings.

and this beauty opens minds and hearts.

wee_ginga_yin
10-05-2015, 04:02 AM
You say message , I say massage .

Adopt Clouseau like accent: "I 'ave a massage fer yoooou"

Little light into a dark place .

The medium is the massage - Marshall McLuhan

Jim Hanks
10-05-2015, 08:29 AM
Trying to respond to this "appropriately" is very difficult so I will attempt to "tread lightly" as the moderator has said.

First of all, just looking strictly at the song, it's a good song. It tells a story, has a catchy chorus, and captures the mindset of the protagonist well. (Much like Johnny Cash I would say.)

Treating it as social commentary is where we can easily get in trouble. There is a fair amount of misinformation in this thread already but I'm not even going to attempt to provide counterpoints as I fear it will quickly devolve into a shouting match as do almost all "discussions" of this nature.

Back to the song, it is no surprise that a song like this invokes an emotional response. I would submit that your views on the debate stem from the source of your response, in other words, whether you respond more to "I'm angry" or "I've got a gun".

The Big Kahuna
10-05-2015, 10:58 AM
http://news.sky.com/story/1564353/boy-11-shoots-dead-8-year-old-over-puppy

Of course, this would never have happened if those damned liberals allowed 8 year old girls to open carry.

You hear that slapping noise? That's the sound of the whole world facepalming.

Brian1
10-05-2015, 12:58 PM
http://news.sky.com/story/1564353/boy-11-shoots-dead-8-year-old-over-puppy

Of course, this would never have happened if those damned liberals allowed 8 year old girls to open carry.

You hear that slapping noise? That's the sound of the whole world facepalming..

I don't see what that has to do with the song in the OP

If you are saying that 11 year old boys should not have guns to shoot 8 year old girls I don't think anybody here is going to disagree with you.

I don't think they should be able to drive cars to run over little girls or puppies either.
http://www.inquisitr.com/1686410/nine-year-old-joyride-two-children-killed-after-boy-steals-mothers-car/

Jim Hanks
10-05-2015, 02:05 PM
And so it begins. :rulez:

pritch
10-05-2015, 04:37 PM
And so it begins. :rulez:

I hope not.

Pabrizzer's song is not without precedent. The Boomtown Rats had a big hit with a song "I don't like Mondays" written by Bob Geldoff about a school shooting in California in 1979. When asked why she had done it, the shooter allegedly replied, "I don't like Mondays". The song went to number one in most of the English speaking world but was much less successful in the USA only reaching 73. It received no airtime in San Diego; too close to home.

For anyone who has never heard the song, it's bound to be on YouTube.

I for one am envious of pabrizzer's talent for writing about current events. The original "movers and shakers" were the poets and the troubadours. Pabrizzer is maintaining the tradition.

Jim Hanks
10-05-2015, 06:28 PM
I hope not.

I for one am envious of pabrizzer's talent for writing about current events. The original "movers and shakers" were the poets and the troubadours. Pabrizzer is maintaining the tradition.
I don't have a problem writing about current events. I was just saying that but I think posts #31 and #32 right after my #30 are exactly what I was talking about with getting in trouble. Both links (especially #31) are off-topic, incendiary, and heading us for the gutter. And with that I think I better bow out of the conversation.

The Big Kahuna
10-05-2015, 07:39 PM
I don't see what that has to do with the song in the OP

Neither do a number of other posts in this thread, but it serves as an opportunity to satirize the obtuse nature of the usual pro-gun response to any tragedy of this kind. To be perfectly honest, I don't give a shit who thinks this is off topic, or who is offended. Unfortunately, I don't see attitudes in america changing sufficiently for a significant alteration in gun laws until enough of the last generation are dead and buried, and there is an upward swing in the proportion of modern thinking, liberal voters.

Brian1
10-05-2015, 09:27 PM
Neither do a number of other posts in this thread, but it serves as an opportunity to satirize the obtuse nature of the usual pro-gun response to any tragedy of this kind. To be perfectly honest, I don't give a shit who thinks this is off topic, or who is offended. Unfortunately, I don't see attitudes in america changing sufficiently for a significant alteration in gun laws until enough of the last generation are dead and buried, and there is an upward swing in the proportion of modern thinking, liberal voters.

Well what you call"satire"is what I was calling hype. I don't think you truly understand the type effect it has on the majority of people who see that type of comment. Yes, there are several people who enjoy satire of issues they disagree with. (like the song in the OP) but those on the opposite side of the issue and those that have no dog in the fight get really turned off. And very tired of dealing the constant bombardment of people hammering everyone non-stop over the head with the issue and more often than not side with those that make the least amount of noise. And imo that is why the changes you'd like have not been made in the US.