I'm Angry and I've got a Gun

That was quick. .

Despite my relatively advanced age, human behaviour can still startle me sometimes. The shooter said on the 'Net that he was going to do this and the trolls encouraged him. If it turns out they are not quite as anonymous as they thought they were, that'd be fine by me.

Still Pa, another good song. Keep writing.

Another school shooting in the USA.
So sad but not unexpected.

I'm all for you expressing yourself through music so don't take this the wrong way when I ask: why do you focus on the current (some might say political) events in another country ?

don't take this the wrong way when I ask: why do you focus on the current events in another country ?

Outrage is outrage. We speak (and sing) out about atrocities globally. Don't you think we should? Admit it Brian1, you;re upset about something happening in some country other than your own.

We've received a report about this thread.

I think expression of concerns through music is a valid artistic and social function. That said, I understand why some members may consider the timing a little quick - even too quick. Pain hasn't even begun to fade yet.

I also understand the questioning of why onlookers should offer commentary on events in other countries but, as this forum shows, distance isn't that much of a separator of humanity these days.

The song can stay and the thread will continue for now. That said, if you are thinking of posting in this thread please tread VERY carefully indeed. Anyone crass enough to use this situation as an excuse for starting trouble will receive the attention they deserve.

Peace.

Nicely done Pabrizzer. Without social commentary there are many musicians we (the world) would have never heard from.

If you think about it, this song has probably been in the process of being written since Sandy Hook or before. There is no "right" time to discuss, write, sing, or even politicize things of this nature. Truly, the time is now.
A fair point, and I'm inclined to agree, but it doesn't demand too much empathy to understand and respect that other people may not see it that way at the moment.

Good song, thanks for sharing. IN the tradition of great folk songs, current events are appropriate content.

And... IMO a crazy/evil man/woman/child is going to use whatever means/tool is "at hand" to wreck tragedies like this most recent one.

Prayers for the families of all who lost a loved one, or is recovering in the hospital, or directly witnessed this senseless tragedy.

Outrage is outrage. We speak (and sing) out about atrocities globally. Don't you think we should? Admit it Brian1, you;re upset about something happening in some country other than your own.

Of course and my message addressed that. I also addressed that one country was mentioned out side the song in text in the comments that focused on one country. In fact my question was why he didn't sing about global issues and focus on more than one country. I didn't comment in response to the song I removed the song from the quote. So to answer your question yes there are many things happening all over the world that I think deserve attention. I am a little surprised current events from only one of those foreign countries is focused on. There were things happening in Syria the same day for example that were also "sad, but not unexpected" involving multiple countries that I was surprised didn't get a little more attention and thought I would ask the artist about his inspiration or connection to a particular place.

My intention was not to question his views, but understand his connection to them. Without that understanding of the connection to the meaning of a song it can't be fully appreciated.

It's unfortunate that there will always. always, always, be folk that think it's off base, too soon, too...something, for their sensitive ears to hear at any given moment. Time frame for tragedy (hmmm, good band name..) is pretty irrelevant on a national scope. it's also fairly subjective in regard to respect on a national scope. For the victim's families, some may want the conversation to start yesterday. I know I would.

So, respect who? And respect them how? By silence? Idunno, I don't think that's a good idea. And songs have always been a direct route to getting the conversation going. Sure, we don't need to talk about gun control or political issues in a forum that prefers those things stay out, but songs (which this is) have always been the main driver in music forums. Look at the song section, and you'll rarely, if ever, see lyrics being dissected, they're either commented as to the enjoyment factor given, or not commented at all. For some reason a song about current events always seems to get some folks who would never comment otherwise to come out and voice their displeasure.

There is something terribly wrong with that, from a songwriter's perspective. I would suggest that the element of respect in this instance come from the people posting, not the songwriter.

I agree (btw) with the first two paragraphs. Everyone should of course respect each other here regardless of their differences.

Last edited:
Of course and my message addressed that. I also addressed that one country was mentioned out side the song in text in the comments that focused on one country. In fact my question was why he didn't sing about global issues and focus on more than one country. I didn't comment in response to the song I removed the song from the quote. So to answer your question yes there are many things happening all over the world that I think deserve attention. I am a little surprised current events from only one of those foreign countries is focused on. There were things happening in Syria the same day for example that were also "sad, but not unexpected" involving multiple countries that I was surprised didn't get a little more attention and thought I would ask the artist about his inspiration or connection to a particular place.

My intention was not to question his views, but understand his connection to them. Without that understanding of the connection to the meaning of a song it can't be fully appreciated.

You see Syria is a war zone. A big mess that deserves comment certainly.
Kids going to school shouldn't be a war zone. Or the movie theatre or the church or any other place in a country not at war.

And some one mentioned 'too soon' - this song is about all the mass shootings that have happened in the past and about the next one and the one after that and the one after that and the one after that and ...

And my song gets reported?
This song ain't the problem.

But I guess shooting the messenger is pretty appropriate.

Last edited:
You see Syria is a war zone. A big mess that deserves comment certainly.
Kids going to school shouldn't be a war zone. Or the movie theatre or the church or any other place in a country not at war.

And some one mentioned 'too soon' - this song is about all the mass shootings that have happened in the past and about the next one and the one after that and the one after that and the one after that and ...

And my song gets reported?
This song ain't the problem.

But I guess shooting the massager is pretty appropriate.

I don't think it was mentioned that your song got reported (I certainly didn't report it) I assumed it was my post that got reported. I am a bit of a free speech nut so I am all for your posting of this song or any other... (that part was edited out of the reply to me that you quoted by the person I was replying to.)

And I agree people should feel safe at school, or at a theater but (and I am trying not to step over the line that makes people squawk) I disagree that those places are war zones. War zones have people fighting on both sides public shootings only have one person shooting.

So I hope you don't feel I was shooting the messenger, I was trying to find out more about both the messenger and the message. :)

Last edited:
You say message , I say massage .

Adopt Clouseau like accent: "I 'ave a massage fer yoooou"

Little light into a dark place .

I don't think it was mentioned that your song got reported (I certainly didn't report it) I assumed it was my post that got reported. I am a bit of a free speech nut so I am all for your posting of this song or any other... (that part was edited out of the reply to me that you quoted by the person I was replying to.)

And I agree people should feel safe at school, or at a theater but (and I am trying not to step over the line that makes people squawk) I disagree that those places are war zones. War zones have people fighting on both sides public shootings only have one person shooting.

So I hope you don't feel I was shooting the messenger, I was trying to find out more about both the messenger and the message. :)

I knew it would not have been you who reported the song - you actually take the time to make a comment.
But yes it has been reported.

Knew I spelt 'messenger' wrong - should have checked.

I will say that the shooters usually get shot sometimes by their own hand but usually by the authorities quite rightly shooting back. But I agree they are not war zone but precious lives are being lost just like they are in war zones - that's the point I was trying to make.
And what I really don't understand is that there seems to be an acceptance that these things will just keep happening - as one of your presidential hopefuls said - "stuff happens".

Australia had a very bad mass shooting in Tasmania in 1996.
Some things changed and we haven't had anything like it since. No not stopped all together but .....

No more comments from me here though.
I see stuff on the news and sometimes I am moved to write a song about it.

I knew it would not have been you who reported the song - you actually take the time to make a comment.

cool :)

And what I really don't understand is that there seems to be an acceptance that these things will just keep happening - as one of your presidential hopefuls said - "stuff happens".

This is the tricky part of the post for me like walking a tight rope w/o a net. I don't think there is an acceptance. But it makes me wonder why the shooter posted the BBC documentary that was very anti-sandyhook before he did what he did. I sometimes think it has to do with upsetting the people who are easily upset. (and not that this is a minor thing)

Now watch as I stand on one leg on that tight rope... The "stuff happens" quote you mention was not talking about shootings although that is how it is being reported. It was about Hurricanes and other tragedies in Florida while he was governor there. But that guy is currently at 4% of less than half of the electorate. (so it probably doesn't matter at this point I decided not to link to it but the full question and answer is easily found.)

I am aware of some of those things that changed in Australia, and of the horrible shooting in Tasmainia as well as the violence rate before and after because that is a discussion I have had many times before. Probably best not to have it here :)

Last edited:
...my question was why he didn't sing about global issues and focus on more than one country...
Well, the incident that seems to have inspired the song is an occurrence of something that only happens in one country. There have been 142 school shootings in the United States since the Sandy Hook shooting, less than three years. This happens nowhere else. It's a global issue in that the "globe" has one country with this massive problem. The entire world is horrified by this and artists around the globe, like the global public, seem able to see it better than we in the US. Please, shine a light. This is the responsibility of the global artist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom