beginners uke for under $100

mwalimu

Reaction score
Since I started bringing my uke to work (I teach and I generally play during lunch), a number of my students have been asking me about learning to play. Since the first real question is what uke to buy, I was wondering what opinions people have on decent beginners ukes for $100 or below.

I've been happy with my Mahogany laminate Mahalo Pineapple the past 10 years, costs around $59 with gigbag nowadays.

Some people may disagree with me, but the "tourist trap" ukes are good to learn on. You can get them for around $20. Then, when you develop your interest and skill, you can move up to a better instrument. That's how I did it anyways

I know of a lotta newbs that have picked up Makalas. They sound decent and can take the abuse. My cousin used to work at the music store on Tennessee St. I can see if he could get a discount for your students. PM me.

On a side note - the uke is really catching on up here... I saw 3 in Benicia today while I was working, and another at the park while I was playing with my niece. Maybe I should get into the business of uke pimpin :D

Thats awesome if you get the uke to take over the school!

shoots

I bought my 3 year old daughter a Makala soprano with the dolphin bridge that was setup by MGM. I think it sounds very good for the price and it's already proven that it can take the abuse from my 2 and 3 year old daughters. Definitely a good one to learn on.
Perfect for getting signed by star ukulele players too :D

DSC02470.JPG

I bought my 3 year old daughter a Makala soprano with the dolphin bridge that was setup by MGM. I think it sounds very good for the price and it's already proven that it can take the abuse from my 2 and 3 year old daughters. Definitely a good one to learn on.

DSC02470.JPG

I agree. I bought one (a black one) from MGM on a whim after watching some uke videos on youtube. I did some brief research and nobody seemed to have anything bad to say about it. It sounds great and stays in tune for a long time. I usually have to tune it everyday before I play it but I think that's just from the 30° change in temp over night.

My only real complaint is the paint is super slippery and makes it hard to play standing up. I'm thinking about trying some of that rubber shelf liner or maybe roughing up the back with a little sand paper or something. I'm also not big on the dolphin bridge but that's merely cosmetic.

If I could do it all over again I'd probably go with the Kala KA-15S from MGM simply because I like the look of it better. But at the time with shipping it would have been more than I was willing to spend on something I wasn't sure I would be into.

I've played several of the MGM-set-up Makala "dolphins". They're a hoot to play, have decent intonation, and come in at a price that's tough to beat.

If that's your price point, I recommend them.

JJ

I used to tutor special ed kids at a local elementary school and every Wednesday after school there was a ukulele class for students in one of the classrooms provided as an after school activity. About 3/4 of the students used these colorful Makala ukulele and were very happy with then which is the main thing. :)

I know of a lotta newbs that have picked up Makalas. They sound decent and can take the abuse. My cousin used to work at the music store on Tennessee St. I can see if he could get a discount for your students. PM me.

On a side note - the uke is really catching on up here... I saw 3 in Benicia today while I was working, and another at the park while I was playing with my niece. Maybe I should get into the business of uke pimpin :D

Thats awesome if you get the uke to take over the school!

shoots

I played my uke for the wrestling team's fundraiser and now a bunch are playing. Pretty cool...

I bought my 3 year old daughter a Makala soprano with the dolphin bridge that was setup by MGM. I think it sounds very good for the price.

DSC02470.JPG

I run a ukulele club for kids at the school where i teach in Norfolk England. They have to get their own instruments and so i see quite a lot of cheap ukes, the Mahalos are always OK but i've been really impressed with these Makala's they have a really big sound for a £15 uke, they're sturdy and have decent tuners (which makes my life easier as i have to tune about 15 of them during break time!)

Theres heaps of great starter ukes. Makalas soprano Dolphin, standard or pineapple. Ohana SK-10S soprano, CK-10S concert, Kala 15S, Vineyard flying V concert.BBBeeep! BBBeep! This just in Kala has released some concert KA-C in candy red and metalic blue with chrome geared tuners at the under $100 price. Then theres the solid koa......keychain from...:biglaugh: :shaka:

Makala uke

I got the Makala soprano in red for Christmas. It's beautiful sitting on my bureau, but it's too slippery to hang onto.

DSC02470.JPG

Exactly my suggestion. Not only a good uke for price--but you'll keep it forever because it's just so much darn fun.

IMHO you can not go wrong with the Lanikai LU-21. It retails for $79 I think, but can be bought very commonly for around $50. Awesome Uke, and the best student uke money can buy in the under $100 range. It plays like a much more expensive uke.

If anybody's interested in a "step up" from a soprano then you may want to consider the Cordoba UP110 starter pack.Ukeeku recently reviewed it here http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?40039-Cordoba-10CM-or-UP110-pack-review and I must say that I feel that it is an excellent investment myself.I purchased it from Best Buy (yes,Best Buy sells decent instruments) a few weeks ago on sale for $79.99 and it is definitely worth that price and even the $99.99 standard price.It comes with a nice soft Gig bag,a pitch pipe and a starter pamphlet with all the information you need to get started.But best of all,it is a real quality instrument.It will need tuning out of the box but mine has stayed in tune extremely well for such a new instrument.Only needing a few slight adjustments over a two week period.I'm new to the Uke but not stringed instruments and I would absolutely recommend this Uke as a starter or even a second Uke to anyone.

From reviews ive seen the makala dolphin is a great uke for its money. If you got a bit more money you could get the kamoa pinneapple.

Top Bottom