Beginner books that you would recommend?

mike_terror

Reaction score
Does anyone might happen to know any beginner books that they can recommend for the ukulele?

I've never played a guitar or a ukulele before in my life. Is there a book out there for the ukulele that covers everything including how to read notes and the music scale, quarter notes, half notes, whole notes, etc.

Not something that's just a chord book. I've checked out many of the videos offered on the web, but i'd like something in book form that will help me with a better understanding with the music world.

This one is highly recommended;

TIG_DiscoveringtheUkeD.jpg

About the book;
Grammy award-winning musician, Daniel Ho and international recording artist, Herb Ohta Jr., have toured extensively in support of their two albums, "Ukuleles in Paradise" and "Step 2: Ukuleles in Paradise 2."

Discovering the Ukulele was inspired by their collaborations as performers and instructors. In this informative book, Daniel and Herb present their unique perspectives on the ukulele. Following a brief history and description of the ukulele, they share ideas on technique, how to play scales and chords, and effective practicing. Also included are 14 traditional, Hawaiian, and original songs written in tablature and notation for your study and enjoyment.

Includes 14 songs written in tablature and notation:
1. Amazing Grace - John Newton
2. Hi'ilawe - Sam Li'a, Sr.
3. Sanoe - Queen Lili'uokalani
4. Silent Night - Franz Gruber
5. Banana Sunday - Daniel Ho & Herb T. Ohta
6. Hawai'i Pono'i - King David Kalakaua & Henri Berger
7. Pineapple Mango - Daniel Ho
8. Hawai'i Aloha - James McGranahan & Lorenzo Lyons
9. Aloha 'Oe - Queen Lili'uokalani
10. Sakura (Traditional)
11. Royal Hawaiian Hotel (Traditional)
12. Canon - Johann Pachelbel
13. Hilo March (Traditional)
14. Ka'anapali Sunset - Herb T. Ohta

About the Authors:
At the forefront of today's ukulele renaissance is Herb Ohta Jr. He has left no musical stone unturned on his path to discovering the ukulele. As a youth, Herb was guided by his father, famed ukulele virtuoso Ohta-san, and inherited his innate sense of musicality. On this foundation, he developed his own unique style and the limitations of this unpretentious instrument are all but forgotten in the hands of his virtuosity. Herb has touched the hearts of thousands through his performances and recordings ? every note reiterating his genuine belief that music is played from the heart.

After working as an orchestrator, arranger, composer, producer, keyboard player, Hawaiian slack key guitarist, and audio engineer, Daniel Ho rediscovered the ukulele at the tender age of 28. His approach to ukulele technique and harmony implements his diverse musical background and understatedly, it's an inimitable point of view. The culmination of Daniel's career took place on February 28th 2006 when he received a Grammy for his work as a producer and artist on "Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar, Vol. 1".

Authors: Herb Ohta, Jr. & Daniel Ho
Soft cover, 50 pages

thanks, I will definitely check those out. If you guys know any other books that you would recommend, please let me know. I'm looking those type of books that an instructor would teach out of with their students. Since I will be self taught, i would like to learn from those books as well to know the scales, etc

Jumpin Jim Beloff's beginner book is good-- "Beginner’s Method & Songbook arranged for GCEA-tuned ukulele. A step-by-step introduction to the pleasures of playing the uke. By Jim Beloff".

I don't have a copy in front of me to tell you what's in it. I give giving it away when I loan out a 'uke to a newbie who wants to try it. But you can get pretty far into it with the one book. I personally didn't like the campfire kinds of songs you got to play in the book, but play I did, enough to go out and get a book of the kinds of songs I DID want to play. Good luck!

(Fretboard Roadmaps is an intermediate book)

I have the Fretboard Roadmaps although I am just a beginner, and I highly recommend it. So much great info. The exercises are a bit of a struggle for me, but they are worth doing definitely.

Top Bottom