New Pono MTD string help

plunker

Reaction score
The new (to me) pono came to day. The existing strings were ok, but I thought if I put some worth flurocarbon strings on it I cold take advantge of the solid mahogany body and really differentiate the sound for the Kala KA_T. The worths seem very thin. Question: Is there another string that is not as thin that will produce a really warm tone.I will post pics as soon as I figure it out.

I have the MCD and have Ko'olau Alohi's on it. I think it's well balanced between warmth and brightness. Not really "thin" strings. Ko'olau's Mahano strings are warmer though. Good time to become familiar with string diameters as a tool in choosing strings. Just consider them some new "chords" to learn LOL! Lots of string diameter guru's here.

Personal preferences for strings may be based on several different aspects: of course tone, but also tension, thickness, feel, and (for some), aesthetics (e.g,. you might prefer or disdain clear, brown, red or black strings on any particular uke).

Relatively speaking, strings are inexpensive. Experiment. If you like thick strings, check out Ko'olau Golds. Personally, I don't like thick strings so never liked Ko'olau Golds. But I don't think I've come across a thicker string yet.

I didn't like the Golds much either, they are a higher tension string. I like Worth Browns or Southcoast mediums for a mahogany tenor. I have Worth Clears on my Collings 'hog tenor which still feel a little tight, so have a set of Southcoast Light Mediums to try on that. They have a softer feel than Worths and come in many tensions and degrees of brightness. All no wound, to round and flat wound, and even a classic metal set that is safe tension for ukes. I also have a set of Alohis to try on something!

I'm less concerned with "safe" tension on pono's. The neck is thicker to start, and the truss rod makes it very stiff. Also, the sound boards and bracing are on the stiff side.

If you want a little thicker than worth clears, there's actually a bunch of different "worth clear"

http://worthc.to/english/w_strings.html

The Herb Ota set might be more to your liking.

Otherwise, Oasis is slightly thicker than standard Worth clears, and I think project better than the standard worth clears. On my atsh-pc, it does seem to speak better with at least one wound string. I've been using the flat wound oasis one for low g, and the TI .27 for the wound C on re-entrant, and liking it pretty well. They're flat wound, which reduces the slide squeak.

http://www.juststrings.com/toi-cf27.html

Good luck.

Thank you ll. I failed to mention these are worth brown. Does that mae a difference. One of these days I will learn what is important.

I put Worth Browns on my Pono MTD and took them off after an hour. They sounded horrible on my Pono. I know another Pono owner who had the same experience with Worth Browns. The Worth Clears HT sound good on the Pono. The D'adderio J 65/71 also sound good with the mahogany.

The best thing you can do is remove the Worth Browns.

Thank you ll. I failed to mention these are worth brown. Does that mae a difference. One of these days I will learn what is important.

Top Bottom