Ha, don't know what I'm smoking but I bought two Fender Uke's!!!

kansaman

Reaction score
Update, the Fender Pa'ina was defective ...

I must be on something as I ended up buying both the Fender Pa`ina ( http://elderly.com/fmic/items/FTUP.htm ) and the fender Nohea ( http://elderly.com/fmic/items/FTUN.htm ) ukulele's.

Got'em both from Elderly as no one local sells them yet, they are being setup up and I should have them by the end of the week or maybe beginning of next week. :cool:

Last edited:
Congrats, one's a Koa even though a laminate, the other solid top, and both are FENDERs which adds to the cool factor. I don't even mind "Made in Indonesia" as it rhymes with Polynesia, and are tropical islands too. Best of all the price is reasonable especially for a FENDER label. Ya done good, please let us know how they sound. I've been eyeballin' the Nohea since she first came out.

let us know what you think, i've got the hau'oli and i like it and so far all the feedback for the new fender ukes has been positive.

I don't know what you're smoking either but you're lighting it with hundred dollar bills.

Last edited:
I want to pick up a few of these first year fenders for the collector's value alone. In 50 years these things will probably be worth a fortune, and considering I'm a lazy 24 year old with pretty much no plan for my life, I'm sure a nice retirement fund will come in handy. :eek:ld:

Thanks guys, I'm pretty pumped about these I'll post an update on them once they get here.
As far as holding onto them for 50 years, I'll be 93 and jammin on the uke. :shaka: sweet

Well, I got a call from Elderly today and they said during the setup of my Fender Pa`ina it was determined to be defective and so was the other one they had in stock that someone else had bought. They have no other ones in stock so they have to order new ones and I'll get one of those when it shows up which can take up to two months. :(
So I guess I have to wait for that one, on a good note the Nohea setup fine and is on it's way here scheduled to be delivered on Friday.

Last edited:
I was just in my local music shop (Coconut Grove Music) and they had both the Nohea, and Pa'ina in stock. I strummed both and was thoroughly impressed with the sound, and quality of these ukulele. Difficult to beat the bang-for-the-buck factor especially with the Fender label attached. I think you'll be happy. :shaka:

Welllllllllll, not too happy this morning. The guys who told me the Fender Hau'Oli was in stock just sent a message saying they are back ordered.:wallbash:

Where were you getting yours from, I found places that had them in stock but didn't do setups on them before shipping them out.

Where were you getting yours from, I found places that had them in stock but didn't do setups on them before shipping them out.

I eventually found it at JR.com. They are a NY-based music store. Jeez, I tried at least a dozen others. I called to cancel the order today but they guaranteed a 5-7 working day delivery and reduced the price 20% so I decided to wait them out.

I don't really NEED another ukulele. OK, maybe one or two. Figured I would have a couple more built by now but have gotten so busy in the shop I can't get back to them.

Your post sent me over the edge.

Blaming your UAS on me? ha, I have enough guilt for what I'm doing to myself, did I mention that while I'm getting impatient waiting for the fenders to show up that I found a mango flea for sale locally ($125) that I bought today!

Why do I feel like I'm on a roller coater ride that I can't make stop!

I got my Fender Nohea in today and it's very sweet. :shaka: love it!

also, called Elderly today and they said the expected due date for them to get my Fender Pa`ina in is next Friday. So if everything goes good I'll have it in a couple of weeks. I'll get to play with my nohea more after everyone else goes to bed!
mmmm.... that just kind of sounds wrong. haha ;)

I want to pick up a few of these first year fenders for the collector's value alone. In 50 years these things will probably be worth a fortune, and considering I'm a lazy 24 year old with pretty much no plan for my life, I'm sure a nice retirement fund will come in handy. :eek:ld:
You're still smoking the same stuff, I see. While I want a Fender uke too, I wouldn't put too much hope in having an instrument mass-produced in an Asian factory worth a lot more, even in the next couple of centuries. That's like expecting a paperback version of a bestseller to be worth something more than the cover price a few years later. You want collectible: spend the extra bucks and get a uke from a small manufacturer.

I'm still waiting for some Canadian dealers to get one in stock...

You're still smoking the same stuff, I see. While I want a Fender uke too, I wouldn't put too much hope in having an instrument mass-produced in an Asian factory worth a lot more, even in the next couple of centuries. That's like expecting a paperback version of a bestseller to be worth something more than the cover price a few years later. You want collectible: spend the extra bucks and get a uke from a small manufacturer.

I'm still waiting for some Canadian dealers to get one in stock...

You're probably right, but I think the name alone coupled with them being first year means they can only go up in value. I mean how many times do you see a strat from the 50's/60's in good condition on antique road show appraised at like $10k+? There's nothing that really sets them apart from any other fender other than they're old.

It's not like I really have the cash to blow on a new uke anyway, let alone one based on the fact that it might be valuable in the future.

There's nothing that really sets them apart from any other fender other than they're old.
Well, they were made in the USA for starters. That adds an enormous amount of value to them, especially since most production (of everything) has moved to Asia (in order to ensure the CEO of the board has an appropriate new yacht every year... while American and Canadian workers get laid off, but don't get me started on that).

But you never know how these things will appreciate.

When American guitar makers started having models made in Japan, those instruments were considered "uncollectible" with no appreciating value. When they moved from Japan to Korea, Japanese-made instruments gained collectibility and Korean-made instruments were deemed "uncollectible." Now they're in China and Korean-made instruments are starting to appreciate. Maybe when they move to production to Sudan or Somalia in search of even cheaper labour, Chinese-made instruments will start to appreciate...

I don't know about all this value stuff, when most things are bought who really knows which ones will be worth anything in 50 years or not?
I'm not buying mine because I think they will be worth more down the road or not, I bought them just because I think they look very nice and the quality of the sound is very nice as well, win, win.

I think of beanie babies when these type of conversations come up, everybody was collecting them because they thought they would be worth money someday and now you can't give the things away. :biglaugh:

Buy the uke's you love regardless of the reason and you'll never regret how much money you spent on it.

You're probably right, but I think the name alone coupled with them being first year means they can only go up in value. I mean how many times do you see a strat from the 50's/60's in good condition on antique road show appraised at like $10k+? There's nothing that really sets them apart from any other fender other than they're old.

It's not like I really have the cash to blow on a new uke anyway, let alone one based on the fact that it might be valuable in the future.

I saw an original 1952 Fender Esquire valued at $35,000 on the road show (link below) but that's a very rare example, and it was in great shape. I wouldn't expect these Fender ukes to go up much in value, but they'll probably hold value pretty well, like Fleas/Flukes.

Still waiting for one to show up in a local store...

Here's the Esquire:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200604A42.html

Top Bottom