how to string with bridge pins?

uke puke

Reaction score
I just ordered a Pono PTS-E which uses bridge pins instead of the "wrap Style" bridge. with bridge pins, do you have to use stings that have the little metal ring at the end? Or can i still use the regular style strings that i am used to (without the metal ring)?

I plan on using Low G Worth Brown strings.

I just ordered a Pono PTS-E which uses bridge pins instead of the "wrap Style" bridge. with bridge pins, do you have to use stings that have the little metal ring at the end? Or can i still use the regular style strings that i am used to (without the metal ring)?

I plan on using Low G Worth Brown strings.

You can absolutely use the regular strings. In fact, I have used Worth Browns on my ukulele before (which also has bridge pins). Just tie a small knot in the string before placing it into the slot in the bridge. The bridge pins are not even what really holds the string in place, the slot does. The pins may provide some extra security but are really almost decorative.

And hey...how are the Low G? I've only used regular Worth Brown in the past.

You can absolutely use the regular strings. In fact, I have used Worth Browns on my ukulele before (which also has bridge pins). Just tie a small knot in the string before placing it into the slot in the bridge. The bridge pins are not even what really holds the string in place, the slot does. The pins may provide some extra security but are really almost decorative.

And hey...how are the Low G? I've only used regular Worth Brown in the past.

Ok good. The new uke doesnt come in until the first week in April, and i am gonna wait til then to try the Low G browns. Ive been using Aquila low G's on my Lanikai, and love em, but like that the worth Low G's dont have a wound G. Ill let you know what i think when i get it set up. Thanks for the help man.:shaka:

Just got a Pono mango tenor. changed the original strings for Aquillas but the bridge has no string slots, just the pins. The G just keeps popping off before it gets up to pitch. Am I missing something obvious?

Are you making a knot at the end of the string? Also, there should be a little slot in the pin hole in line with the neck. This slot is on Kanile'a 'Ukuleles and may not apply to your uke. You may need to use a very small screwdriver and push the string into the slot. The slot and knot is what holds the string in place. The pin is mostly cosmetic. I had to make the slots a little deeper on my uke to keep the strings from popping out. I used a very narrow saber saw blade and used it by hand (no saw power). Works great now. Hope that helps. :music:

Last edited:
Uke Puke (that's pleasant!),

Tie a knot at the end and slip a small glass or plastic bead onto the string down to the knot. Stuff that in the hole before inserting the pin.

I hope you and your uke feel better soon.

Thanks for the info and the quick responses.

I have been knotting the string (bigger knots each time).
There are definitely no slots cut in the bridge.

I`ll try a bead first as I don`t have a saw narrow enough to fit through the pin holes (a junior hacksaw blade is about 2ml too wide). As a permanent solution though I will get the slots cut.

won't be able to do anything for a few days, due to work. This is really frustrating, the uke looks great but I can't play it. Surely this isn't the norm for a Pono!

Found a coping saw blade fits perfect. After four very tentative attempts the slot was cut and the string now stays in position.

About two minutes after I had cut it, MGM sent me an e-mail telling me not to cut a slot but use a bead ( As recommended by Bluke). Well that's probably voided the warranty then!

Oh well, the uke sounds great and the Aquillas have settled down. So now it's time to try and learn a song, instead of picking out bits from dozens of songs and not playing anything all the way through like I usually do.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Consider using small glass beads tied to the string end, too.

The pins have a slot in them, sometimes if you insert the pin with the string in the slot, and then twist it a little, so that the slot is no longer lined up with the string, it will fit more snug(ly?) Also, I keep pressure on the pin with one hand while I tighten the string until it is nearly in tune. This practice comes from nearly having my eye put out too many times by flying bridge pins....:)

PS- don't get too crazy cutting slots, I have never had to do that and I have 5 instruments that use bridge pins.

One thing that worked for me (after shooting a bridge pin across the room) is taking the little gold ring off of the end of a guitar string, and tying a knot through it. This is similar to the glass bead technique. But if you are in a pinch, and don't have any beads around, it works quite nicely.

Top Bottom