NukeDoc's Noob Theory ???'s

freedive135

Reaction score
Thanks for doing this...
I guess I'll have the first question during the lessons.

"now what is a chord? in layman's terms? its a group of notes that, when played togeter, sound nice. we figure this out by looking at the sequence of notes that you have memorized by now... right? so lets take a A Major chord... or just A. the A note is going to be your "root note". your origin of your chord, if you will. now starting from A, go up the sequence 4 "half tones" (ha, if you you forgot what that is, go back a lesson). now you are at the C# note. now from there, at 3 more half tones, and you will have an E."

Why/how do I know to go "4 half tones" then "3 half tones"?

go back to the first lesson. remember the 12 notes that are all in order from A to G#?

for the A chord:
start at A, this is your first note.
now from A, count up 4 steps (or half tones, or frets). you will have C#/Db. but we are just going to call it C#. this is your middle note
now from that C#, count up 3 more steps. you will end up on the E. this is your last note, in the group. so...

Code:
1 2  3 4 5  6 7  8 9 10 11 12
A|A#|B|C|C#|D|D#|E|F|F#|G| G#
A +4=--->C# +3=->E

reason why this works? i dunno. but it just does. hahaha. and without going into the key of A, and learning scales, and how it applies to this, this is the quickest way ive found to figure it out.

i just wanted to take this opportunity to address those that are probably ripping their hair out thinking "what the hell is nukedoc trying to teach these people? this is all wrong!!!" hahaha.

just kidding.

but when it comes to these instruments and people trying to be self taught, there is no patience for learning the basics of music theory. people want results. its kinda like math.

123 + 345 + 234...

if you were to do the math, you know to stack the numbers up with the decimals in line and to start from the ones, then the tens, then the hundreds, carrying over numbers as you go. right? well try this in your head while someone else is writing everything out on paper and doing the work...

100 + 300 + 200 = 600
600 + 20 + 40 + 30 = 690
690 + 3 + 5 = 698 + 4 = 702 same answer? and saved paper.

the why and the how of the finer aspects of the theory will still apply. and wont contradict. the trick is to get old dogs to learn new tricks without making them feel like they are learning how to add 2+2 all over again.

Top Bottom