Oasis strings

Recstar24

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my positive experiences with oasis strings and see who else uses them. Previously, I was pretty devoted to worth clears, but notice the a string tends to fray and the e string and sometimes others tend to intonate sharp. I put oasis brights on my mainland cedar tenor and just restrung my Hoffmann with oasis warms and a Fremont soloist low g and I'm impressed how well it intonates and the overall feel, tension, and volume. The tension is slightly lower than worth clear but appears to have the same volume, and actually intonates better. I bought my warms for $6.30 a set which really is two sets!

I like Oasis, they give a good punch but not an overload like some Aquilas. I'm not a fan of their wound low G and usually substitute a Fremont smooth wound or an Living Waters. Anyway, I like Oasis for bright tone, Southcoast for moderate and Living Waters for warm.

My preferred setup for most of my ukes is the Oasis set (warm) with a Fremont low G and I string up most of my ukes that way. A couple of months ago Dave Hepple, the owner of Oasis, came out with a smooth wound low G that is similar to the Fremont, but still not as quite. I'll sometimes swap out the plain C string with a South Coast wound C if I think the uke could benefit by it. I put a bug in Dave's ear to release a set with a wound C.

Last edited:
About a month ago I was introduced to Oasis stings on an all solid mahogany tenor I purchased from a fellow UU member. They really made that Uke sing.

I have since purchased Oasis Brights in high g and low g. I put the high g set on an all solid acacia tenor and they produce a nice bright, rich tone. I like the tension and the feel of the strings.

Will try the low g on my cedar tenor soon.

I prefer Oasis (warm) with a Fremont low G and I string up most of my ukes that way. A couple of months ago Dave Hepple, the owner of Oasis, came out with a low G that he says is similar to the Fremont. It may be but it's is still not as quite. I put a bug in his ear to release a set with a wound C.

THANK YOU. in fact, it was your posts and doc j's sound samples that clued me into oasis, and the oasis warm with Fremont soloist appears to make my Hoffmann really sing. From elderly, it was cheaper to buy a oasis warm set and separate Fremont soloist than getting the oasis smooth low g pack, but The fremonts are excellent and man do they last a long time...

Steve, I think your description matches my thoughts very well. Nice punch without being barky, and they just have a nice feel to them. I also like south coast and appreciate their balance, sound, and feel, but considering I can get essentially 4 sets of oasis for a set of south coast I think I'll stick with oasis purely out of cost.

I prefer Oasis (warm) with a Fremont low G and I string up most of my ukes that way. A couple of months ago Dave Hepple, the owner of Oasis, came out with a low G that he says is similar to the Fremont. It may be but it's is still not as quite. I put a bug in his ear to release a set with a wound C.

Glad to hear you brought up the wound c string. I prefer using a wound third, and generally have to add my own, since most do not offer that as an option.

you can't beat the price of Oasis! I like to keep a set incase I have to replace an individual string.

Oasis Brights and Living Waters are currently my co-favorite strings, and the double-length Oasis strings are certainly economical. :cool:

Oasis lights sure sound super on my Kamaka white label soprano.

Glad to hear you brought up the wound c string. I prefer using a wound third, and generally have to add my own, since most do not offer that as an option.

I currently am using the Oasis warm for A and E, a wound C string from Southcoast and the Fremont Soloist low g. It sounds divine.

I currently am using the Oasis warm for A and E, a wound C string from Southcoast and the Fremont Soloist low g. It sounds divine.

Hi Staci..i am using the same set...on my new R.W.Scheurenbrand tenor...it needed a little deeper richer tone....and this combo of strings do the trick...:)
Thanks Chuck.....the Southcoast wound C string does what I wanted....

I keep a good supply of Oasis Brights and Warms on hand, as they are my go-to strings.

Great idea Chuck! It sure would be cool if Oasis offered a wound C, as an option.

Hey Staci, how does the southcoast wound C compare "squeak wise " to the Fremont and Oasis wound strings?

Hey Staci, how does the southcoast wound C compare "squeak wise " to the Fremont and Oasis wound strings?

i think the new Southcoast string is more squeaky than the Fremont but less than the Oasis.....

i think the new Southcoast string is more squeaky than the Fremont but less than the Oasis.....

Len is right, it definitely is squeakier than the Fremont. But I used to use the HML-RW set so I was used to the squeaks. It is a transition period for me now getting used to it again, but that combo does sound wonderful.

Len is right, it definitely is squeakier than the Fremont. But I used to use the HML-RW set so I was used to the squeaks. It is a transition period for me now getting used to it again, but that combo does sound wonderful.

these are the newer wound southcoast C strings than before....lees squeak than before....

these are the newer wound southcoast C strings than before....lees squeak than before....

Hmm, which ones? My head spins at the variety of strings Southcoast has. I can't keep up with all the options. I used one from an HML-RW set I had. I have also seen both bronze and silver wound strings from them.

Sorry for the sidetrack - on the original question, I did see the last pack of Oasis I bought had wounds in a copper colored envelope. I didn't use them as I really didn't need the G strings but I kept them just in case. Has anyone used these?

Last edited:
Hmm, which ones? My head spins at the variety of strings Southcoast has. I can't keep up with all the options. I used one from an HML-RW set I had. I have also seen both bronze and silver wound strings from them.

Sorry for the sidetrack - on the original question, I did see the last pack of Oasis I bought had wounds in a copper colored envelope. I didn't use them as I really didn't need the G strings but I kept them just in case. Has anyone used these?

i think the new C strings are gold/cooper color...maybe out in the last 6-8 months....Andrew has them as ind. strings here and the wound G too...

I have a set of brights on my martin OXK. Very good strings for that instrument, definitely brings out a bell like tone. They also seem to wear decently well.

Top Bottom