PDA

View Full Version : Oasis strings

Recstar24
10-03-2015, 08:07 AM
Just wanted to share my positive experiences with oasis strings and see who else uses them. Previously, I was pretty devoted to worth clears, but notice the a string tends to fray and the e string and sometimes others tend to intonate sharp. I put oasis brights on my mainland cedar tenor and just restrung my Hoffmann with oasis warms and a Fremont soloist low g and I'm impressed how well it intonates and the overall feel, tension, and volume. The tension is slightly lower than worth clear but appears to have the same volume, and actually intonates better. I bought my warms for $6.30 a set which really is two sets!

stevejfc
10-03-2015, 09:02 AM
I like Oasis, they give a good punch but not an overload like some Aquilas. I'm not a fan of their wound low G and usually substitute a Fremont smooth wound or an Living Waters. Anyway, I like Oasis for bright tone, Southcoast for moderate and Living Waters for warm.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-03-2015, 09:14 AM
My preferred setup for most of my ukes is the Oasis set (warm) with a Fremont low G and I string up most of my ukes that way. A couple of months ago Dave Hepple, the owner of Oasis, came out with a smooth wound low G that is similar to the Fremont, but still not as quite. I'll sometimes swap out the plain C string with a South Coast wound C if I think the uke could benefit by it. I put a bug in Dave's ear to release a set with a wound C.

lewclev
10-03-2015, 09:16 AM
About a month ago I was introduced to Oasis stings on an all solid mahogany tenor I purchased from a fellow UU member. They really made that Uke sing.

I have since purchased Oasis Brights in high g and low g. I put the high g set on an all solid acacia tenor and they produce a nice bright, rich tone. I like the tension and the feel of the strings.

Will try the low g on my cedar tenor soon.

Recstar24
10-03-2015, 09:21 AM
I prefer Oasis (warm) with a Fremont low G and I string up most of my ukes that way. A couple of months ago Dave Hepple, the owner of Oasis, came out with a low G that he says is similar to the Fremont. It may be but it's is still not as quite. I put a bug in his ear to release a set with a wound C.

THANK YOU. in fact, it was your posts and doc j's sound samples that clued me into oasis, and the oasis warm with Fremont soloist appears to make my Hoffmann really sing. From elderly, it was cheaper to buy a oasis warm set and separate Fremont soloist than getting the oasis smooth low g pack, but The fremonts are excellent and man do they last a long time...

Steve, I think your description matches my thoughts very well. Nice punch without being barky, and they just have a nice feel to them. I also like south coast and appreciate their balance, sound, and feel, but considering I can get essentially 4 sets of oasis for a set of south coast I think I'll stick with oasis purely out of cost.

hammer40
10-03-2015, 09:25 AM
I prefer Oasis (warm) with a Fremont low G and I string up most of my ukes that way. A couple of months ago Dave Hepple, the owner of Oasis, came out with a low G that he says is similar to the Fremont. It may be but it's is still not as quite. I put a bug in his ear to release a set with a wound C.

Glad to hear you brought up the wound c string. I prefer using a wound third, and generally have to add my own, since most do not offer that as an option.

Dan Uke
10-03-2015, 09:28 AM
you can't beat the price of Oasis! I like to keep a set incase I have to replace an individual string.

Kayak Jim
10-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Use 'em. Like 'em.

Steedy
10-03-2015, 09:45 AM
Oasis Brights and Living Waters are currently my co-favorite strings, and the double-length Oasis strings are certainly economical. :cool:

PhilUSAFRet
10-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Oasis lights sure sound super on my Kamaka white label soprano.

wickedwahine11
10-03-2015, 10:30 AM
Glad to hear you brought up the wound c string. I prefer using a wound third, and generally have to add my own, since most do not offer that as an option.

I currently am using the Oasis warm for A and E, a wound C string from Southcoast and the Fremont Soloist low g. It sounds divine.

hawaii 50
10-03-2015, 10:36 AM
I currently am using the Oasis warm for A and E, a wound C string from Southcoast and the Fremont Soloist low g. It sounds divine.

Hi Staci..i am using the same set...on my new R.W.Scheurenbrand tenor...it needed a little deeper richer tone....and this combo of strings do the trick...:)
Thanks Chuck.....the Southcoast wound C string does what I wanted....

Doc_J
10-03-2015, 10:39 AM
I keep a good supply of Oasis Brights and Warms on hand, as they are my go-to strings.

Great idea Chuck! It sure would be cool if Oasis offered a wound C, as an option.

stevejfc
10-03-2015, 12:49 PM

Hey Staci, how does the southcoast wound C compare "squeak wise " to the Fremont and Oasis wound strings?

hawaii 50
10-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Hey Staci, how does the southcoast wound C compare "squeak wise " to the Fremont and Oasis wound strings?

i think the new Southcoast string is more squeaky than the Fremont but less than the Oasis.....

wickedwahine11
10-03-2015, 01:06 PM

i think the new Southcoast string is more squeaky than the Fremont but less than the Oasis.....

Len is right, it definitely is squeakier than the Fremont. But I used to use the HML-RW set so I was used to the squeaks. It is a transition period for me now getting used to it again, but that combo does sound wonderful.

hawaii 50
10-03-2015, 01:13 PM
Len is right, it definitely is squeakier than the Fremont. But I used to use the HML-RW set so I was used to the squeaks. It is a transition period for me now getting used to it again, but that combo does sound wonderful.

these are the newer wound southcoast C strings than before....lees squeak than before....

wickedwahine11
10-03-2015, 01:34 PM
these are the newer wound southcoast C strings than before....lees squeak than before....

Hmm, which ones? My head spins at the variety of strings Southcoast has. I can't keep up with all the options. I used one from an HML-RW set I had. I have also seen both bronze and silver wound strings from them.

Sorry for the sidetrack - on the original question, I did see the last pack of Oasis I bought had wounds in a copper colored envelope. I didn't use them as I really didn't need the G strings but I kept them just in case. Has anyone used these?

hawaii 50
10-03-2015, 01:40 PM
Hmm, which ones? My head spins at the variety of strings Southcoast has. I can't keep up with all the options. I used one from an HML-RW set I had. I have also seen both bronze and silver wound strings from them.

Sorry for the sidetrack - on the original question, I did see the last pack of Oasis I bought had wounds in a copper colored envelope. I didn't use them as I really didn't need the G strings but I kept them just in case. Has anyone used these?

i think the new C strings are gold/cooper color...maybe out in the last 6-8 months....Andrew has them as ind. strings here and the wound G too...

bnolsen
10-03-2015, 05:22 PM
I have a set of brights on my martin OXK. Very good strings for that instrument, definitely brings out a bell like tone. They also seem to wear decently well.

hollisdwyer
10-03-2015, 05:57 PM
I have a set of Southcoast with wound 3rd and 4th that I am about to put on my Boat Paddle ML. I've only had a wound 3rd on my Mya Moe 6 string so this is going to be an interesting experiment. The MM 6string Has the Southcoast set and I love it. I had Worths on there before, and they sounded good, but the SC set is brilliant.

Reading some of these posts makes me want to try an Oasis set on my DaSilva Martin 3K replica.

Recstar24
10-03-2015, 06:09 PM
I would look forward to trying out a new more noiseless version of the wound 3rd on a sout past set. That was my only issue with the Hml-rw set I had, getting used to picking a wound string with the index finger plus double the squeak noise from both the wound 4th and 3rd, otherwise, the overall feel and tone of the string set was awesome.

Try the oasis, I bet they will bring out the bell like quality I'm sure your da silva possesses.

hollisdwyer
10-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Try the oasis, I bet they will bring out the bell like quality I'm sure your da silva possesses.

Yes, I am going to do that. I have never tried Oasis strings before but have always heard good things about them.
I find it so interesting that different strings can have so much of an affect on the sound of an instrument.

Recstar24
10-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Yes, I am going to do that. I have never tried Oasis strings before but have always heard good things about them.
I find it so interesting that different strings can have so much of an affect on the sound of an instrument.

The oasis strings seem to compliment the ML style well. Seems to enhance its inherent long sustain, but compliments the ML style tendency towards the bass and lower mid range. I will probably throw the SC HML set in a few months after I wear the heck out of these oasis and Fremont, which could be awhile because they tend to stand up very well.

bborzell
10-03-2015, 08:27 PM
The Dupont "D" hole uke that I picked up in Paris was strung with Aquila strings. For whatever reason, I couldn't find anything else for tenor uke wherever I called in Paris and later in Brugge. I did find a Savarez classical guitar string to get it to Low G but had to endure the Aquilas until we got home.

I know that some folks really like the sound and playability of Aquilas. I find them to sound brittle and feel sticky. Twenty minutes after getting back from the airport, I was digging through my string box and came upon a set of Oasis warms that I ordered and never used. After tuning them (kept the Savarez for Low G), I played for an hour or so and got to hear just what the Dupont has to offer; warm, full, loud and very detailed. The Aquilas acted like a muffler while the Oasis strings and the Savarez G opened up the full tonal range for the uke.

hollisdwyer
10-03-2015, 08:38 PM
For my DaSilva Martin 3K repro, what do you suggest is most suitable to play Bach and other baroque music on an all koa soprano , Oasis warm or bright?

the flat tire
10-03-2015, 09:28 PM
After going through six different sets, Oasis is staying on my Kanile'a.

DownUpDave
10-04-2015, 12:08 AM

I use the very same set on my Webber, love the sound of a wound third with low G. It would be great if Oasis came out with a wound third. Maybe Chuck can link this thread to the owner of Oasis he had mentioned earlier. I like a wound third on some of my re-entrant set up tenors as well.

Oasis strings are right up there as one of my favourites, along with South Coast and Worth.

spookelele
10-04-2015, 04:05 AM
I like oasis alot. They last quite a bit longer than worth, especially the trebles. Also, they seem louder in melodies on the trebles than worth. It's just bonus that you can find them regularly on sale somewhere in the $6 range, which makes them really super affordable since they're double sets. The only beef I can say, is that they're not always careful measuring, so sometimes a double set isn't double if you're tenor and get shorted on a 2 or 3 string, since those need to be longer than the 1 or 4, but if you were concert or soprano, it would be enough. Since I usually find them for $6, I don't worry about it.

Recstar24
10-04-2015, 04:22 AM
For my DaSilva Martin 3K repro, what do you suggest is most suitable to play Bach and other baroque music on an all koa soprano , Oasis warm or bright?

I would try oasis warms. The only difference between the two are the first and fourth strings, they are wider on the warm set. The difference is minor but noticeable, I find the warms to end up creating a pretty balanced tone as is, and on your soprano da silva, the brights might take the brightness up another notch.

hollisdwyer
10-04-2015, 04:50 AM
I would try oasis warms. The only difference between the two are the first and fourth strings, they are wider on the warm set. The difference is minor but noticeable, I find the warms to end up creating a pretty balanced tone as is, and on your soprano da silva, the brights might take the brightness up another notch.

Thanks Ryan. I haven't received any replies from my thread about best strings for classical music. I wonder how many UUers play classical. The question wasn't for me. The person who original wanted my Mya Moe cut away changed their minds and thought the DaSilva would be a better fit for their classical repertoire. I want to put the best set of strings on the DaSilva that I can for them.

bariukish
10-04-2015, 06:04 AM
[QUOTE=Recstar24;1754172]Just wanted to share my positive experiences with oasis strings and see who else uses them. Previously, I was pretty devoted to worth clears, but notice the a string tends to fray and the e string and sometimes others tend to intonate sharp. I put oasis brights on my mainland cedar tenor and just restrung my Hoffmann with oasis warms and a Fremont soloist low g and I'm impressed how well it intonates and the overall feel, tension, and volume. The tension is slightly lower than worth clear but appears to have the same volume, and actually intonates better. I bought my warms for $6.30 a set which really is two sets![/QUOTE

Sounds like a great combo. Where did you find the Oasis at that low price? Did you get the Freemonts at the same site? I'd sure like to try them on my tenor Boat Paddle ML. Tks.

bnolsen
10-04-2015, 06:14 AM
Thanks Ryan. I haven't received any replies from my thread about best strings for classical music. I wonder how many UUers play classical. The question wasn't for me. The person who original wanted my Mya Moe cut away changed their minds and thought the DaSilva would be a better fit for their classical repertoire. I want to put the best set of strings on the DaSilva that I can for them.

I play classical but just for myself and I'm not a string changing fool. I have yet to crack open my oasis warm pack yet. I do prefer the oasis over martin m600s, worth brown or clear, and aquilas. The worth clears or the m600s don't seem to wear very well.

Recstar24
10-04-2015, 06:39 AM
[/QUOTE]
Sounds like a great combo. Where did you find the Oasis at that low price? Did you get the Freemonts at the same site? I'd sure like to try them on my tenor Boat Paddle ML. Tks.[/QUOTE]

Elderly. $6.30 for their warm or bright rentrant set. $6.95 for their normal low g packs, about $13.45 for their squeak less smooth wound low g packs. Fremonts definitely not on sale, those are $4 each. It was about the same price to order two Fremonts and a pack of warms as their low g set so that's what I did - the Fremont is pretty fantastic but as chuck said the oasis smooth low g isn't too shabby either.

Recstar24
10-04-2015, 06:40 AM

I would go with the oasis warms. I associate a warmer rounder tone with classically oriented music.