Tips for playing chords for begginer

SouthernD

Reaction score
Well i have aquestion, I have basic chords down, but i can't seem to handle the barred chords or whatever you call it. For example, the D7 chord. You have to hold the top 3 strings down on the 2nd fret and I just cant seem to do it. I cant get my finger on the bottom string to keep it from buzzing. Any tips on how you all learned to play these?

Barre chords can be tricky, especially when you're first learning them. There have been a couple of other threads with various tips that should be helpful (use the search function in the top red bar above to search for "barre" without the quotes) but a few things to start with:

- Position your thumb directly under the barre finger
- Turn the barre finger slightly
- Position the barre finger a little closer to the fret
- Move the barre finger up a little or down a little to find a position that doesn't buzz

With the D7, you actually want to barre all 4 strings on the 2nd fret with the index finger then press down on the 1st string, 3rd fret with the middle finger. This is easier than trying to only barre the top 3 strings.

barring the top three strings will give you a Dmajor chord. to do a D7, you would do as cpatch explained. another way would be to put your index finger on the G string 2nd fret, and your middle finger on the E string 2nd fret.

if you are talking about the Dmajor still, with all three of the top strings depressed at the 2nd fret, then another way to do it so that you dont buzz the A string is to put one fingertip on each string: index on G, middle on C, and ring on E, leaving the A string open.

if it is still giving you trouble and you find that you MUST use a barre, then barre the whole second fret. then reach out with your pinky and depress the A string at the 5th fret. this is still a D major chord.

One tip that helps me is to push forward with my thumb rather than backward with my fingers. Sounds crazy, but it works.

JJ

One tip that helps me is to push forward with my thumb rather than backward with my fingers. Sounds crazy, but it works.

JJ

what do you mean push forward?

what do you mean push forward?

Well, it's a subtle thing. Mostly mental. :p

But when you're forming a barre chord, you're pressing down on the fretboard with some of your fingers, but also applying pressure to the back of the neck with your thumb.

The idea is to focus more on the thumb. You're pushing the neck forward a bit with your thumb, rather than primarily pressing it back toward you with the rest of your fingers.

It may or may not help you, but it's worth giving a shot.

JJ

barre chords took me a while (yeah, I'm just figuring out barred movable chords and I'm just about a year in)

The trick I can offer you is to use your thumb, it has to be pressing on the back of your uke, not the bottom of the thumb, but the pad of it, as if you want to go through the uke and touch the middle knuckle of your pointer finger. Somehow that helps you make an even pressure that prevents the buzz.

Also, what I do is to use the more meaty bottom part of my finger instead of the top part for a more 'meaty' (I'm hungry, sorry about the meat references. mmm... meat) grip.

Additionally, and I dont know if this is a help to you... I don't do partial barre chords that cover more than 2 strings-- I'll bar an Asus, but I put one finger on each string for D's and E's.
B shape chords, I do a full barre, and use 2 fingers to pick up the other strings....

a'course you can use cheaty chords (E7 for E, that cute 'hawaiian' D7) but they won't sound right about 2/3 of the time...

And, finally to conclude my ramble... PRACTICE REPEATEDLY.
This is all.
Captain Cashew Signing out.

Well, it's a subtle thing. Mostly mental. :p

But when you're forming a barre chord, you're pressing down on the fretboard with some of your fingers, but also applying pressure to the back of the neck with your thumb.

The idea is to focus more on the thumb. You're pushing the neck forward a bit with your thumb, rather than primarily pressing it back toward you with the rest of your fingers.

It may or may not help you, but it's worth giving a shot.

JJ

ahh...gotcha thanks

(woo 100th post!)

Thanks for asking the question about barre chords - and the great answers.

Just learning - barre chords are my biggest issue... I understand that practice, practice, practice is the best answer. However, after trying barre chords over and over - and not getting ANY better it is great to hear I'm not the only one struggling with them. That in itself is probably the most encouraging answer.

Using the thumb to apply more direct pressure behind the barre is also very helpful. While I am learning I am surprised to find that my thumb needs to be more 'active'.

(though my hand does get sore/cramped)...

Just learning - barre chords are my biggest issue... I understand that practice, practice, practice is the best answer. However, after trying barre chords over and over - and not getting ANY better it is great to hear I'm not the only one struggling with them. That in itself is probably the most encouraging answer.
Google "barre chords" and you'll feel even more encouraged...they're the bane of every guitar player's learning process as well. (Even more so...if you think they're bad with four nylon strings wait until you try them with six steel strings!)

Top Bottom