PDA

View Full Version : Washington State Role Call

Ukulele_Junkie
03-05-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm just trying to see who in the forum is from Washington State, the good ol rainy, well on the west side that is. But yeah i've been seeing more people from WA getting on so make some noise.

Oh and if there is enough people, I have an idea somewhere in the lines of a meet up at ocean shores or any other type of big body of water place. whichever's closest to all of us

OR

Go to the space needle and jam there make some money haha.

davoomac
03-05-2008, 08:39 PM
I stayed in ballard with my sister for a few months last summer, So I have a soft spot for washington :D I liked it there! I liked seeing all the people who play music on the streets. I was so tempted to put down a hat and jam some ukulele tunes!

Hawaii808
03-05-2008, 09:08 PM
hey.. im from washington... from bremerton!... it was so nice and sunny today!

misterlee
03-05-2008, 09:14 PM
The heck? I'm from Bremerton, too. Small internet!

Hawaii808
03-05-2008, 09:16 PM
oh thats cool... anyone else?

Hawaii808
03-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Hey misterlee!... do you know were i could get some good hawaiian food around this side... and ukuleles.... ?

Ukulele_Junkie
03-05-2008, 09:39 PM
hey.. im from washington... from bremerton!... it was so nice and sunny today!

yes it was, and it was great, i went up to a place up in renton that sold some Kala ukuleles too. Not too extensive, but they had a nice lanikai spruce top cutaway with PU :D

And also for hawaiin food gotta look into going to seattle again Kauai Family Restaurant

rayan
03-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Terrell is from Washington too. Hmm could Washington be the next UU S.D.?

Ukulele_Junkie
03-05-2008, 09:52 PM
not sure of yet we're pretty spread out, terrell is about 45-1hour away from me, bremerton guys are about 45 mins away also. Hope we can do a UU get together sometime. Spring break for me starts 19th what's everyone else's spring break dates?

davoomac
03-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Hey misterlee!... do you know were i could get some good hawaiian food around this side... and ukuleles.... ?

When I was in seattle we ate here:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/north-shore-hawaiian-barbecue-seattle

It was pretty good! the food reminded me of home :D

misterlee
03-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Hawaii808: Not enough of a Hawaiian contingent in the Kitsap County area to have a restaurant around here. Like what everyone else said, your best bet is just to hop a ferry and hit up Seattle. People might not like the chain restaurants, but I'm a big fan of L&L. There's one near my brother's place over in Lynwood, and there's one in Federal Way, I believe. The Federal Way location, you can probably drive over to get to...pretty much on the way to the airport. =P

I work full-time and I'm sometimes on-call during random weekends, so a spring break is kinda out of the question. Just gotta find a time when everyone's willing to drive out somewhere. Being in Kitsap County, there's got to be mad incentive for me to drive out somewhere as I'm 45 minutes to an hour away from any and everything. hahah

Hawaii808
03-06-2008, 11:52 AM
hey ukulelejunkie... do you know were in seattle that kauai family restuarant is?... its weird, cause the restuarant you said about. is were im from (kauai)...haha... and thanks misterlee! .. my spring break is the last day of march... but yea.. i dont know if i told you guys but im only 15 so yea.. ride is kind of a problem..

Ukulele_Junkie
03-06-2008, 03:55 PM
hey ukulelejunkie... do you know were in seattle that kauai family restuarant is?... its weird, cause the restuarant you said about. is were im from (kauai)...haha... and thanks misterlee! .. my spring break is the last day of march... but yea.. i dont know if i told you guys but im only 15 so yea.. ride is kind of a problem..

i'd love to give everyone rides unfortunately gas sucks, and i drive a SUV. haha we'll think of sumtin in the near future.

Here's the site for u hawaii808: http://www.kauaifamilyrestaurant.com/

I'll try to stop by there this saturday check it out and grab a bite.

elburritoloco
03-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Howzit everyone? I am from Poulsbo, WA. I know that before I got deployed we had a few jam sessions over on Viking way. I know there was push to get more. I like hanging with other uke players but do not make it out to SEATTLE too often. I know there is SUPA over there. Maybe we should look at someting local yeah?

misterlee
04-01-2008, 06:56 PM
So once the weather gets better, maybe a meetup should be in order. I'm thinking Alki Beach, maybe Gasworks, or heck, even somewhere in Kitsap County. haha

jello
04-01-2008, 07:05 PM
ha, i know. the weather has been really crazy. but yeah.. seattle sounds like a good place. or alki would be cool too. just hopefully it won't like hail or snow on us!

Ukulele_Junkie
04-01-2008, 08:19 PM
yeah alkai would be good for a saturday, or even the key center.

Hawaii808
04-01-2008, 08:20 PM
im from bremerton... today was a really nice day... kind of weird when it snowed last week. ive never went to a get together with other ukulele players... only like with my friends. it would be cool to go to one... just say where and when.. and ill try to be there hehe...

david98116
04-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Seattle here <----- at least for the next couple months. We're moving back to Oahu this summer.

davoomac
04-02-2008, 02:16 AM
I'm going to be kickin it with my sis in ballard this summer. :D

HumbleSounds
04-05-2008, 01:52 PM
So I just spent almost 2 years up in WA on camano Island building a log cabin. Got back to oahu in Dec. thank god. I haven't put on shoes since. :D I am headed back up that way for a couple of weeks in may to pack up the rest of my stuff, so if a jam happens I will definitely try and make it out.

Easy

Terrell
04-10-2008, 04:39 AM
wow i never even saw this thread. haha ya we need to do this!^_^ i'm down for it whenever it happens.

Howlin Hobbit
04-15-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm living here in Ballard right now. Things are sort of up in the air about that but I should be here for at least a little while longer.

robha
04-16-2008, 07:26 PM
I moved to Ellensburg and have found only two other people that play Ukulele here. One of them is a student here at Central and he is giving lessons to me and the other guy.
If there is anyone else in this little town that plays please drop me a line at
robha_2000@yahoo.com

Photojosh
04-21-2008, 07:06 AM
If you live up near Bellingham, you could hook up with BUG, the Bellingham Ukulele Group. Here is their website:

http://bhamuke.com/

I have to admit, I don't go to their meetings much. My idea of a get together is more along the lines of a beer or two with a few players in a brewpub.

teamchina
04-30-2008, 08:19 PM
I live in Seattle, technically Kenmore, about 20 minutes from downtown Seattle...

I'm a relative newbie though, just picked up my first uke in December and I've been fiddling with it and trying to pick stuff up from all the videos on YouTube and stuff. I tried taking lessons, but the only teachers I could find either didn't call back or didn't really have much to offer...

If you guys aren't opposed to letting a "fresh fish" tag along to a Washington get-together, I'd love to meet some folks out here that play and try to pick up some tips...

Coincidentally, first post!

Boondock
05-01-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm very sorry that I didn't see this thread a week ago. Last tues the first meeting of the Tacoma Ukulele club took place at a small coffee/art shop on 6th Ave. 18 attendees showed up, with some incredible talent from the region.

Several members of SUPA (Seattle Ukulele Players Association) came down and really got the Tacoma club off to a good start.

We still have not decided on a name yet... But "WASSUP" (Washington Association South Sound Ukulele Players) seems to be the most popular.

We'll be meeting on the last tues of the month. The next meeting is scheduled for 27 May.

A website is being created and will be posted soon.

There are a couple of people from the Olympia area that attended, so if anybody from Olympia is interested, I could pass on names so that car-pooling rides could be shared.

Ukulele_Junkie
05-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Leander is that you?

Boondock
05-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Tacoma really does have it's own ukulele club. Go to the SUPA yahoo group and read more about it...

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/SeattleUkulele/messages

peterandtheuke
05-07-2008, 07:37 AM
I jam in Battle Ground, WA about an our away from portland, OR.

thejumpingflea
05-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Mukilteo guy right here. 30 minutes to Seattle with good traffic.

I'd love to get some people together sometime. I am friends with John Moen of Uku the Mighty and I am sure he'd love to get a group together for a day of uku madness.

jello
05-12-2008, 02:41 PM
yeah, everyone keeps talking about a meet up but no one has really planned anything yet!

hopefully with summer coming up & the WARMER weather... we can finally do something?! :)

thejumpingflea
05-12-2008, 03:32 PM
yeah, everyone keeps talking about a meet up but no one has really planned anything yet!

hopefully with summer coming up & the WARMER weather... we can finally do something?! :)

Warmer weather.... Is there such a thing? I could have sworn it was snowing just a few weeks ago... :D

Is anyone going to the Herb Ohta concert in June?

Sat., June 28, 2008 ~ Workshop 4:30-5:30 pm
`Ukulele Workshop with OHTA-SAN
Dusty Strings (as part of Uke Fest)
3406 Fremont Ave. N, Seattle WA
$40 per person
To Register: 206-634-0234

Sun., June 29, 2008 ~ Concert 8:00 pm
Town Hall Seattle
1119 Eighth Avenue (at Seneca Street)
Seattle, WA ~ $25 advance (reserved seating)
Tickets: www.BrownPaperTickets.com
800-838-3006

I'll be there!

Ukulele_Junkie
05-12-2008, 03:59 PM
wow the legend is coming to dusty's strings, i love that place. I'll probably try to make it

HumbleSounds
05-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Warmer weather.... Is there such a thing? I could have sworn it was snowing just a few weeks ago... :D

So I am back in WA for a couple weeks and man playing with cold fingers sucks.:(

I'll be in seattle later next week and was wondering if anybody knows a good open mike, or wants to jam.

Peace

Howlin Hobbit
05-13-2008, 03:19 PM
I'll be in seattle later next week and was wondering if anybody knows a good open mike, or wants to jam.

Great place to check for open mikes is openmikes.org (http://openmikes.org/). Works all over the place. (At least, in the US and, I think, Canada.)

As to the rest... drop me a line at:

http://www.howlinhobbit.com/external/hhgmail.jpg

...and let's see if we can get together.

Terrell
05-13-2008, 07:45 PM
heyy, man i live more north like in the everett area.. but we should have a meet in seattle sometime and go to todai!^_^ haha

Howlin Hobbit
05-13-2008, 11:54 PM
heyy, man i live more north like in the everett area.. but we should have a meet in seattle sometime and go to todai!^_^ haha

I know Marysville pretty well. It and my hometown of Lebanon, OR both have big strawberry festivals. I used to have a cat named Tweaker who presented us with batches of kittens quite a bit and I went to at least 3 of the fests in Marysville to give away kitties.

Be happy to get together for a jam. I don't do the sushi thing though. I'm with Terry Bradshaw on that one... where I come from we call that "bait."

david98116
05-14-2008, 01:05 AM

Hey Terrell .... Everett area too down by Boeing.. A meet in Seattle would be sweet !

HumbleSounds
05-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Alright so I will be in seattle for 4 days from fri the 23rd- mon the 26th. Sat. thru mon. I am working but otherwise I am available. You might just see me walking around I will be the 6'3" bald man with the ukulele. I take it everywhere.

Howlin Hobbit
05-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Alright so I will be in seattle for 4 days from fri the 23rd- mon the 26th.

Heya, HumbleSounds, you've got mail!

Ukulele_Junkie
05-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Alright so I will be in seattle for 4 days from fri the 23rd- mon the 26th. Sat. thru mon.

too bad u didnt come by this weekend. Temp was 93 degrees yesterday and today its around 80 i think. pretty rare for this time of the year.

thejumpingflea
05-18-2008, 03:18 PM
too bad u didnt come by this weekend. Temp was 93 degrees yesterday and today its around 80 i think. pretty rare for this time of the year.

Pretty Rare regardless the time of year. :eek:

ukulele Danzig
06-19-2008, 02:02 AM
Im from Olympia, the tiny capital

JohnnyK
06-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Fall City, East of Seattle by about 20-25 miles.

jello
06-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Okay, so who is planning on going to the Seattle Uke Fest on Saturday?!

teamchina
06-23-2008, 11:50 AM
I was thinking of going, don't know if I want to hit any of the workshops (cost vs benefit of "group" lessons) but the concert seems cool.

Dusty Strings is a dangerous store too; so much stuff I want to buy! It's the only place in Seattle that I've seen Kamaka's and G-Strings...

jello
06-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Ha, yeah it's a really cool store. I think Ukulele_Junkie & I are only gonna be there Saturday. I wasn't quite sure who else from the forum was going... just curious to see how many UU members would be there! :)

boredinballard
06-24-2008, 01:53 PM
I live in Seattle. Ballard actually so I think a Gasworks meet would be awesome. Or Alki.
I cant make it to the festival cause ill be leaving tomorrow for a few weeks. Sad Im missing it.
Dusty Strings is one of the coolest stores I have ever been to. i go there alot just so I can play the Kamakas they have.

teamchina
06-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Haha, yeah, the only downside to Dusty Strings is how many people are always in there... sensor overload on sound!

We should totally try to set up a kanikapila (just learned a new word so I had to use it!) some time this summer, especially as the weather is finally starting to turn around!

Howlin Hobbit
06-25-2008, 12:17 AM
While I'd sure like to meet y'all I'm not going to be at the Uke Fest. I'll be in beautiful downtown Burien with my partner Thaddeus playing a set at their strawberry festival.

HungSolo
07-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Howdy, all! I split my time between my log cabin in Duvall and near Interbay. Good to see plenty of other WA guys here. Crap, I didn't even know about the Uke Fest. Guess I totally missed out...

Cheers,
Michael

stevedunkel
07-26-2008, 07:09 PM
We meet WASSUP UKE GROUP (6:30 to 8:30 PM on the last Tuesday of the month at A Rhapsody in Bloom” 3709 6th Avenue Tacoma
stevedunkel@yahoo.com

I'm just trying to see who in the forum is from Washington State, the good ol rainy, well on the west side that is. But yeah i've been seeing more people from WA getting on so make some noise.

Oh and if there is enough people, I have an idea somewhere in the lines of a meet up at ocean shores or any other type of big body of water place. whichever's closest to all of us

OR

Go to the space needle and jam there make some money haha.

pnj
07-28-2008, 08:17 PM
So is there a gathering at Woodland Park this coming weekend?

I don't have a Uke, but it might be neat to hear some folks play and meet a few players.

Howlin Hobbit
07-29-2008, 10:03 PM
So is there a gathering at Woodland Park this coming weekend?

Yep, SUPA (http://www.seattleukulele.org/) is having their annual picnic. You can download their flyer (http://www.seattleukulele.org/pdf/Picnic_2008.pdf) (a pdf file) for more info.

HI@heart
08-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Shoutin' out from Seattle! Hope to make it to a SUPA circle soon!

pebbleInDaPacific
08-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi All,

I'm down in the Kent area, tried to make SUPA this weekend in west seattle but guess that they didn't update their site to cancel because they weren't there. Hopefully i'll see you all in September or sometime soon for the next SUPA circle. Me and a couple of my cousin's and one other friend play and just try and get together to jam. If anyone wants to meet up somewhere, we better take advantage of this weather right now so let me know. :)

davoomac
08-20-2008, 12:19 AM
I'll be in seattle area for about a week for my sisters wedding from the 26th to the 2nd. Anyone have any suggestions as far as uke related activities? :D

pebbleInDaPacific
08-20-2008, 06:56 AM
I'll be in seattle area for about a week for my sisters wedding from the 26th to the 2nd. Anyone have any suggestions as far as uke related activities? :D

Hi!

I noticed that you're from Guam, i'm from the rock myself. What part? I live in Dededo behind the mall. :D Who's your sister? I'm going to a wedding this weekend too and i'm just curious. Anyway, just saying wassup! Don't know if there is anything going on while you are here, but maybe we could get a bunch of UU disciples together and have a little jam session. I just started so I'll mostly be just learning. Lemme know if that sounds like a plan and see if the other Seattle-ites want to join in. :rock:

SeanKy671
08-26-2008, 11:24 AM
WASHINGTON STATE!!!!

Sean Perez in Spanaway WA

salukulady
08-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Hey, my sister is going to be in Spokane for Sept. and Oct. Would like to get together with any uke groups in area. Anyone know of any?

allinfun
08-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Who knew WA was so innundated with uke fans. We live in Hansville, the northernmost tip of Kitsap peninsula. Would love to meet other uke fans, and will keep up with this thread.

Ukulele_Junkie
02-02-2009, 06:18 PM
yeah washington is filled with ukers some not even known yet. Only problem is that all of us are like 45-2 hours away from each other. Sucks yah...

Myala509
04-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Go washington!

lazybees
05-01-2009, 01:34 AM
I'm East of the mountains in SUNNY Chelan. Don't think anyone in town here Ukes?

ali
05-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Washington Bellingham, I'm new here from Orange County. Ali

mealfrog41
05-02-2009, 06:06 PM
wow, lots of washintonian ukers.. i am from seattle as well:music:

salukulady
05-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Washington Bellingham, I'm new here from Orange County. AliEnjoy the rain.......

mealfrog41
05-02-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm East of the mountains in SUNNY Chelan. Don't think anyone in town here Ukes?

My band Mealfrog will be playing at Vogue Lounge in Chelan over Memorial Day weekend if you are interested.

Keshia
07-06-2009, 11:32 AM
I go to school on the west side. Western, to be more exact. But my homestead is in Spokane. Anyone near me?

TokyoUketarist
07-09-2009, 01:37 AM
I'm from Seattle but I live in Tokyo now. But I will be back this summer (July/August).:shaka:

Providence
07-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Man I wish I were back in WA sometimes, I had some fun there. It's nice to see so many people playing ukulele there. Perhaps someda I'll make a return trip.:D

Uncle Rod Higuchi
07-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Hi All, I'm getting to this thread a bit late (mid-July 2009).

I just registered a few days ago, mainly to crash the UU BBQ at Kaka'ako
Waterfront Park on Sat. I'll be in Honolulu until Aug 15th.

SUPA will be having their annual Picnic at Woodland Park, Shelter # 6, not
allowed to do amplification, so all acoustic per Park rules. It's a potluck,
so lots of food. Just bring chips, pop, or any dish you want to share. Check out ( seattleukulele.org ).

Unfortunately I will be missing my 3rd Picnic in a row. But I will be in Hawaii, and at the Ukulele Festival this Sunday.

My son Jeremy attends CWU in Ellensburg and plays on the Wildcat Lacrosse Team (Attack/Midfielder). My older son, Jonathan, lives in Seattle and plays lacrosse in the Men's League as Goalie. My daughter, Jennifer lives in Honolulu, attends the UH and works at the Kahala Mall Starbucks.

My wife and I both work for Seattle School District. She teaches 1st grade and I'm a middle school asst secretary. Yup, I'm a triple threat - male, Japanese, Secretary. And I play the ukulele too!

OK, too long.

A hui Hou,

Uncle Rod

PS Oh wait! Every 2nd Sat at Kona Kitchen, about a mile south of Northgate Mall on the intersection of 5th NE and NE 85th, there's a Kona-kapila, mostly local Hawaiian musicians getting together for breakfast and jamming. 9 to noon. BTW Kona Kitchen is owned and operated by Yuji Okumoto, actor, bad guy opposite Ralph Machio in Karate Kid II. He's not often there during the
Kona-kapila. We usually have a slack key player or 2, Hawaiian Steel Guitar player, bass and assorted ukes and guitars. Mostly play out of He Mele Aloha book. So if you're hungry for Island-style grinds and back home music. Try come by sometime. I'll miss August, but will try to make it in Sept.

OK information overload. But I'm a "full-disclosure" kind of guy.

'nuf said, Aloha

Photojosh
07-17-2009, 07:39 AM
Since this thread has been bumped back from the dead (and there were a few B-ham posters), I'm going to repeat my post from last year.

There is a bellingham, wa ukulele group. Here is their website: http://bhamuke.com/

I don't go to the meetings much as I'm more of a "beer and strum" kind of gun than an 'organized meeting" one. But they are good folks and have organized a lot of cool concerts and workshops up here in our little corner of the state.

Rick
07-17-2009, 04:53 PM
aha im from Oak Harbor, WA.

Island_Uke
07-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Hey I'm from Bremerton too

pamelamama
07-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Hello from the Eastside!

Can anyone help hook a couple of new players up with a Uke teacher in the Bellevue/Redmond/Kirkland area??

Preeeeety pleaze?

I've been getting some pretty condescending comments when I've asked at some of the local the music shops. *hmph*

thejumpingflea
07-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Hello from the Eastside!

Can anyone help hook a couple of new players up with a Uke teacher in the Bellevue/Redmond/Kirkland area??

Preeeeety pleaze?

I've been getting some pretty condescending comments when I've asked at some of the local the music shops. *hmph*

I am giving lessons, but I live in Mukilteo. I think we may be able to work something out there!

My website is www.thejumpingflea.net and I have info on lessons under there along with contact info.

bicarbon8
07-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Just saw this Thread (raised from the dead) and figured I'd add a bit. I live in Kent, WA (work up in Redmond and my band is based in West Seattle) and there is a coffee shop in Kent called Kona Kai that has open mic nights and would love to have more Uke players in there (the owner is always telling my wife that I should come play). Here's their info. if you wanna' call them and get more info.

KONA KAI COFFEE COMPANY
124 4th Ave South, Suite 180
Kent, WA 98032
253-859-5662

P.S.
My wife does a lot of their marketing materials which is how she knows them and how they know I play Uke :p

pamelamama
07-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Working on an eastside o'seattle jam group:

http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16710

dannyman
08-24-2009, 11:58 AM
mercer island ukulele player here

Hekoa
08-25-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm one more in Oak Harbor. Just learning but having lots of fun with it.

allinfun
08-25-2009, 01:40 PM
5 or 6 of us are getting together the 3rd weekend in september in the silverdale area. A social time, bring ukes, and a potluck dish to share. Anyone is welcome, especially the kitsap posse.

RangerRingor
08-25-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm in the Renton area, but technically Seattle, as it says on my home address.:)

So who wants to have a jam session before the summer ends?:shaka:

Uncle Rod Higuchi
08-26-2009, 05:33 AM
Here's an open invitation to a Labor Day picnic at Lake Hills Park in Bellevue close to Crossroads Mall. About 10 to 2 or later.

My Church, Lighthouse Christian Church, will be holding their annual Picnic with our award-winning BBQer and everyone bringing potluck items. Guests are free and about the only thing "religious" is "grace" before the meal. the "Band" eats first, by the way!

Very low-key event. I started doing solo background for a year or 2. Then one of my SUPA buddies joined me for the last couple of years. Bring a battery-powered amp and electric uke if you have them. Otherwise acoustic is great. Very receptive and appreciative audience (constantly on the move, very few sit-downers).

I will have a songbook of Hawaiian, hapa-haole, and older favorites (30's, 40's, 50's, etc).
We can do "open mic" etc. It will be an informal jam. I like to play (after eating) while people are going through the food line.

Again, it's at Lake Hills Park in Bellevue. I'll have copies of my FREE song/instruction book to give you.

The schedule is 10a - Softball, noon - Picnic, 1p - Games. I generally just play, sing, and eat!

Hope to see you there. You'll be my guests, and guests are FREE!

Howie1947
08-26-2009, 06:40 AM
Wish I lived closer Uncle Rod.................Both Kris and I would love to be with you all............Howie

dannyman
10-16-2009, 07:47 AM
i'm in washinton... the mercer island area...
ya'll game to jam sometime?