how to hold the ukulele correctly to allow better movement for chord changing?

mike_terror

Reaction score
I've tried searching for numerous online sources on how to hold the uke correctly. Most of them were in regards to the strumming arm holding it against your body with your forearm.

My question is, how are you suppose to place your hand around the neck and allow quick movement while changing chords without your ukulele dropping or slipping?

In many of ukulele videos, I see that people place their thumb right at the top of the neck. But for me, my thumb is pressed right in the middle behind the neck, to allow more pressure for my other fingers to press against the fret. When I do this, its hard for me to slide my hand down, for example from A chord to C sharp minor. My hands either won't slide down, or if I let go of that hand real quick to switch, the neck will slip downward.

I also hold my uke horizontally, maybe it would be better or correct to hold it with the neck slightly tilted up?

I hold my uke with the neck at around a 45 degree angle. My thumb is also free floating, so for the A chord I have it closer to the top, but I would switch it to the middle for the C sharp.

It should rest in the space between the thumb and fingers, loosely allowing for easy movement. The first joint on my thumb extends over the neck and I drop it to the middle to play barre chords. The instrument should be angled up instead of being horizontal.

Last edited:
just lay back on your bed and let the uke rest on your tummy. you won't have to worry about handling the neck as much with your non-strumming hand. :shaka::shaka:

Top Bottom