Cutaway tenor under way...

I'm a 'full-time' maker. I anticipate building 12 of these a year. It takes about a day to build the jig which is about $300 in labour costs. So alone this year it has added $30 to a standard tenor labour wise. However, the cutaway is a 'premium' instrument so when it has a slotted headstock (as these will have) and the $250 is added to the base line price I'd say the time making the jigs for the neck and body is recouped in the first 4 ukulele...

Aloha Pete, I'm subscribed to your Youtube vids and I must say it has been very educational between you and Dave Gjessing of Waverly Street Ukes videos you may inspire me yet build my first uke from the exotic wood stockpile I've built up over the past 13 years as a woodturner. May try a Milo, or Kou ukulele most likely a pineapple my favorite shape so uniquely Hawaiian. Anyways mahalo so much for the education and inspiration. :worship:

May try a Milo, or Kou ukulele

Anytime you got some Kou scraps (specifically 20" long and 5" wide), I'll be glad to take them off your hands.

If you got Kamani, I'll offer you something for that, too. Then I'll have the "trifecta" `ukulele, Milo/Kamani/Kou - only locals wood (pun intended) know the significance of that. . . (I actually got Kou drying right now at Paul's shop - I better pick it up before he realizes what he has under his nose. . .gotta pick up some monkey pod and milo too. . .)

Aaron

Anytime you got some Kou scraps (specifically 20" long and 5" wide), I'll be glad to take them off your hands.

If you got Kamani, I'll offer you something for that, too. Then I'll have the "trifecta" `ukulele, Milo/Kamani/Kou - only locals wood (pun intended) know the significance of that. . . (I actually got Kou drying right now at Paul's shop - I better pick it up before he realizes what he has under his nose. . .gotta pick up some monkey pod and milo too. . .)

Aaron

OOOO!!! too late. i've heard it. it'll be gone by tomorrow.

just kidding

Aaron

I do have a real maoli Kamani wood not the false Kamani which is much more common. Wanna trade a ukulele for some wood? :D
I also have Redwood over 1000 years old (yup, counted the rings), a log washed up at Olowalu, perfect soundboard material. ;)

OK so the thread is now officially hi-jacked and so off topic do you want to know how the tenor is coming along :eek:

Just kidding folks - I need to do a final sand before it goes in the spray shop - tomorrow afternoon's job. I'm hand bending a mainland soprano shape for 2 Le Noir ukes in the morning; tough stuff!

Top Bottom