B7 is my current bugaboo, any help???

sculptor

Reaction score
The barred second fret is fine until my middle finger gets close to the C string causing the A string to go become muted. :( Does anybody out there have any alternate fingerings or ideas on how to pull this off.

Note, I'm running into this problem in Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp. Also note, I play a Pono MT which I got from HMS (so it's properly set up.)

Thanks,

-- Gary

triple ditto. then go to Em ... I use this paring in many of my original uke tunes :)

If you want to play it barred, then allow you index finger to hang off the top edge of the fingerboard as you lay it down. The tip of your index finger will be kind of "dangling" as you curve your middle finger to hit the C string. Moving the index finger up allows that middle finger to achieve a better curve, so you only hit the C string and the A string is left unhindered.

If you want to play it barred, then allow you index finger to hang off the top edge of the fingerboard as you lay it down. The tip of your index finger will be kind of "dangling" as you curve your middle finger to hit the C string. Moving the index finger up allows that middle finger to achieve a better curve, so you only hit the C string and the A string is left unhindered.

This sounds like excellent advice....

You may also want to try leading with your middle finger on the C string followed by your index finger. A little practice and you'll get it. Keep practicing because it's one of the easiest barre chords and will help prepare you for the more difficult barre chords down the road.

I finally got to the point where I could shift to first position Em comfortably from other chords. So the 4320 fingering for B7 is now a piece of cake. Practice, practice, practice ...

I strongly recommend to not simply ignore or find an alternative fingering for this chord now. It's an essential fingering that is movable, you will use this a lot in different parts of the neck. It will get easier, I promise. You can use alternative fingerings for certain songs later, but at least learn how to do this one.

If you need a little more pop or sustain from the first string, hold the barre so you fret the first string with the boney part of your index finger - in the crease of the middle knuckle. You can also try fretting the C string with your ring finger and see if that's easier for now.

I strongly recommend to not simply ignore or find an alternative fingering for this chord now. It's an essential fingering that is movable, you will use this a lot in different parts of the neck. It will get easier, I promise. You can use alternative fingerings for certain songs later, but at least learn how to do this one.

If you need a little more pop or sustain from the first string, hold the barre so you fret the first string with the boney part of your index finger - in the crease of the middle knuckle. You can also try fretting the C string with your ring finger and see if that's easier for now.

You'll get there with practice and maxmax's advice is good re preparing yourself to master movable chords. However sometimes I am more gentle with myself and use the 4320 fingering. It is very easy to switch to the Em chord using this fingering which I do a lot for a number of songs that is in my groups songbook. I think you should strive for advanced technique but I also think that you should have fun getting there and playing smoothly with a group is a good starting point.

One thing I used to do was let the uke sit too deep in my hand.

It helped me quite a bit to concentrate on holding my thumb position. This felt awkward at first, but eventually will give you both a better reach down on the fretboard as well as a smoother transition between open and barred voicings.

You'll get there with practice and maxmax's advice is good re preparing yourself to master movable chords. However sometimes I am more gentle with myself and use the 4320 fingering. It is very easy to switch to the Em chord using this fingering which I do a lot for a number of songs that is in my groups songbook. I think you should strive for advanced technique but I also think that you should have fun getting there and playing smoothly with a group is a good starting point.
Lol, sorry if I sounded too strict, I also think you should have fun playing the uke and not do anything you're not enjoying... As long as you get that bloody barre chord under control first! :mad::p

I think you should strive for advanced technique but I also think that you should have fun getting there and playing smoothly with a group is a good starting point.

I agree with maxmax. The B7 is certainly not advanced technique! It is one of the simplest barre chords. Practice and learn it if you want to go anywhere with playing the uke! Sculptor, just do it 20 times a day for a week and you'll be an old pro!

If you barre with your index finger, you can use your second finger to push the index down. I see some guitarists doing this.

If you barre with your index finger, you can use your second finger to push the index down. I see some guitarists doing this.

Coming from guitar, I though everyone used the index finger to do barre chords. Using any other finger puts the index finger on the wrong side of the barre.

John

I agree with maxmax. The B7 is certainly not advanced technique! It is one of the simplest barre chords. Practice and learn it if you want to go anywhere with playing the uke! Sculptor, just do it 20 times a day for a week and you'll be an old pro!

Many people find fretting any barre chord difficult, even simple ones like a B7. The difficult ones take a lot of practice but that practice shouldn't get in the way of having fun in the meantime.

Please reread. Mr Sargent was suggesting that one solidify the index barre by pressing the middle finger down on top of it. I don't recommend this simply because you must be able to play other notes with your other fingers. Using this two-finger barre locks up the hand. It also applies excessive pressure—if you need to resort to this formation, you're probably doing something else wrong (or your action is too high).
Got it.

Thanks!

John

Please reread. Mr Sargent was suggesting that one solidify the index barre by pressing the middle finger down on top of it. I don't recommend this simply because you must be able to play other notes with your other fingers. Using this two-finger barre locks up the hand. It also applies excessive pressure—if you need to resort to this formation, you're probably doing something else wrong (or your action is too high).

I've seen some people do this with guitar. If the OP is playing a B7, it will work for him. Same with a Bm as each of them only require one additional finger. This would be a movable chord as well.

I barre with my index or middle finger. Instead of pushing my finger straight down on the frets I roll my finger slightly to the outside. So I'm pressing with a less fleshy, more bony part of my finger. I find it easier this way.

Top Bottom