PDA

View Full Version : Spring Has Sprung!

ritzer012
03-24-2009, 04:38 PM
The weather is getting nicer and nicer everyday and I can't help but look forward to summer! My first summer that I can actually play a real song on the uke and I can't wait to bring my uke to bbqs and vacation and everything that summer brings. SO, my question...

What are some prototypical "summer songs" that are a must for the season? I already have Brown Eyed Girl, Margaritaville and Cheeseburger in Paradise down. Anything other ideas? What are your summer songs?

Captain Google
03-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Pretty much anything by the Beach Boys would work. Surf and Ska are good genres to try out, as well. :shaka:

Craig
03-24-2009, 05:03 PM
...fall has fell. Now it's summer and hotter than hell! Sorry, couldn't resist. I too am enjoying this nice shift in weather here in So. Cal.

durrin
03-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Jingle Bells for sure.

No, but really, Island In The Sun by Weezer is totally a Summer song.

ritzer012
03-24-2009, 05:38 PM
hahaha jingle bells thats awesome

durrin
03-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Apparently, if you play a Winter song during a hot Summer day, it will make the weather feel colder.

DoodlesMcDeezleLippy
03-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Some Bob Marley, people always enjoy that stuff

Ahnko Honu
03-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Ka'au Crater Boys' "Surf", and "Opihi Man". ;)

Pippin
03-24-2009, 09:08 PM
I might have to work out a baritone ukulele version of Rocky Mountain High... just to do it.

Summer songs... well, you mentioned Margaritaville (a classic). I always enjoy tunes with a lot of great vocals, but if you are the sole entertainer, then try working out some excellent finger-picking and vocal numbers like "Dust In the Wind" (Kansas). It is easy to play in "C" on standard tuning or "G" on a baritone. The intro on the song sounds really great on the baritone... sweet and mellow.

TheWannabe90
03-25-2009, 12:17 AM
sunny afternoon - the kinks
here comes the sun - beatles (george harrison)
into the sunshine - julia nunes
sunshine of your love - cream
summer nights - grease

ukantor
03-25-2009, 01:46 AM
For the bbq - "Light My Fire" & "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes".

Or "Up A Lazy River", "Goin' To Kansas City" (simple blues sequence), or I like Yellow Bird". It has that laid-back, exotic, warm feeling.

Or any of the numerous standards that use the sequence C;E7;A7;D7;G7;C - "Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone", etc. etc. etc. Not specifically summery, but dead easy to remember, and lots of folk know them.:old:

Ukantor.

Edit: Hey Wannabe, I see you live in Belgium. Anywhere near Bruges? I saw a film about Bruges - it looks like a----------------------------nice place.

TheWannabe90
03-25-2009, 02:43 AM
For the bbq - "Light My Fire" & "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes".

Or "Up A Lazy River", "Goin' To Kansas City" (simple blues sequence), or I like Yellow Bird". It has that laid-back, exotic, warm feeling.

Or any of the numerous standards that use the sequence C;E7;A7;D7;G7;C - "Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone", etc. etc. etc. Not specifically summery, but dead easy to remember, and lots of folk know them.:old:

Ukantor.

Edit: Hey Wannabe, I see you live in Belgium. Anywhere near Bruges? I saw a film about Bruges - it looks like a----------------------------nice place.
What do you call close, in Belgium everything is close
I guess if I play my uke too loud they'll hear it in Bruges...
No, not really close. But I've been there a few times, it's a nice city, I guess.
I've seen the movie too. I don't think they are that positive about Bruges -and Belgium in general- in the movie.
We are a boring country, but we do have great beer and chocolate :rolleyes:

100percenthapa
03-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Jack Johnson songs (Upside down, Banana Pancakes, etc.)
And definitely Island in the Sun

UkEdman90
03-25-2009, 08:32 PM
A must to wooo the ladies is..........

summer time anthem by Mr. Capone-e

its fun to play

ritzer012
03-26-2009, 09:56 AM
A must to wooo the ladies is..........

i have no need to woo any ladies but i think the guys in this forum will appreciate that suggestion ;) haha

Joe H
03-26-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm currently learning "Those Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer"

TheWannabe90
03-27-2009, 12:25 AM
Summertime!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOaeUenDVjU

pure puremarkska :)