Tenor uke strings

strider364

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the UU ( very impressed so far :0)
Been playing uke for years now since the early eighties and always had a soprano untill recently, just got a tenor uke.
I got some spare strings for the uke and have discovered that the 3rd string in the packets of new strings are plain the strings on my uke are wound.
The strings i have bought are Aquila the strings on the uke are GHS.
Cant find the string gauges online, so does anyone know if there is any difference in size between the wound 3rd and the plain 3rd?

Many thanks C

There might be a slight difference in diameter between the Aquilas and the GHS, but not enough to effect the setup of the instrument or whether the new C string will fit in the nut slot (it will).

Lots of people like Aquilas (I've played them a bit). They really get a much different (most people would say better) sound compared to the GHS.

I personally like the unwound C string, as it makes the instrument feel more uniform.

Hope that helps.

-John

I don't believe there's a "standard" string gauge for each of the 4 strings. Different brands seem to have different gauges.

For the C string, some people prefer plain strings and some prefer wound strings. The plain C string in your Aquila set will work just fine.

Agreed on minute difference between strings. If you like the sound of a wound, Aquila has sets with a C wound and a G wound. Comes down to preference and I believe the majority prefers the sound and feel of an unwound string.

I would like to know the string tension for the Savarez strings when they are used on a tenor uke with low G tuning? The strings that were recommended are, 541-J, 543-R, 542-R, 541-R. I am concerned about possible negative effects when used on my instruments. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try this thread by uluapoundr and he exclusively uses Savarez strings. There is a YT review on the strings. Check it out! I don't remember if he addresses tension specifically in terms of #'s.

quieter

The strings i have bought are Aquila the strings on the uke are GHS.
Cant find the string gauges online, so does anyone know if there is any difference in size between the wound 3rd and the plain 3rd?

Many thanks C

One advantage to the smooth strings is that you get less "noise" as your fingertips slide up and down the string. The wound strings can make a scraping sound against your fingerprints (happens on guitars too), and the smooth strings are much quieter.

–Lori

Another thing I've noticed with the wound strings is that when you bend the string, it wants to "roll", making it hard to get a good finger grip on the bend. The unwound strings don't do this.

Top Bottom