PDA

View Full Version : Good Ukulele Themed Dog Name

bornagainjeeper
03-25-2009, 09:01 AM
Hey everyone in a few months i plan to get a dog (changing apartments in August purely for that reason) so my question for you What would be a good Ukulele Themed dog name or some Hawaiian based names if you know the meaning please include it! thanks
alex

Oh and it will likely be a collie unless i check the shelters (fairly limited around here) and find a puppy i'd like (i want to start my first real dog off from a pup!)

GX9901
03-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Flea? You could teach him to jump. Maybe not so good for a dog's name though. :p

Ukulele JJ
03-25-2009, 09:10 AM
How about just "My Dog"?

Especially if you're a bit lax with your flea control. :D

Other uke-ish possibilities:

Bari
Mele ("song")
Koa (it's a ukulele wood, but it also means "warrior"... I think)
Smeck
Formby
Deach

JJ

P.S. And not that you asked, but I say go for the shelter dog! How can you say no to these little fellas (http://www.marionrhs.org/ourdogs1.html) (Marion Regional Humane Society), or these guys (http://www.humanesocietysil.org/dogspetfinder.htm) (Humane Society of Southern Illinois)?

dnewton2
03-25-2009, 09:15 AM
A couple of ideas (even if they are bad)

Duke
Iz or Izzy
any uke company

ukantor
03-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Don't call it Uke. I'm told that means something else in Hawaiian.

Ukantor.

HoldinCoffee
03-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Smeck or Roy.

I'd suggest Izzy, but I don't think its a good collie name.
And someone mentioned shelters. All those poor little bitches and bastards nobody wants. Makes me sad to think about it:(.

Bassukuguy
03-25-2009, 09:27 AM
look at brands, Kala, Mele, numerous others...

might be a bit goofy and looked down on but how about Iz?

idk just throwing ideas out.

cpatch
03-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Don't call it Uke. I'm told that means something else in Hawaiian.
It means something else in Japan, depending on how you pronounce it, but I don't think it means something else in Hawaiian.

Jimmy
03-25-2009, 09:29 AM
"Here boy! Here Solid Spruce Top! Good boy."

hoosierhiver
03-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Maybe Fluke or Fret. If it's a small dog maybe Peanut or LowG .

UkuleleD
03-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Just call him Kamaka :D

Captain Google
03-25-2009, 09:49 AM
If it's going to be an awesome dog, you should name it Dominator. Whether it's male or female is irrelevant (after all, naming your dog Dominatrix is just weird :eek: ).

Dilphat
03-25-2009, 09:56 AM
How about just "My Dog"?

Especially if you're a bit lax with your flea control. :D

Other uke-ish possibilities:

Bari
Mele ("song")
Koa (it's a ukulele wood, but it also means "warrior"... I think)
Smeck
Formby
Deach

JJ

P.S. And not that you asked, but I say go for the shelter dog! How can you say no to these little fellas (http://www.marionrhs.org/ourdogs1.html) (Marion Regional Humane Society), or these guys (http://www.humanesocietysil.org/dogspetfinder.htm) (Humane Society of Southern Illinois)?
i had to do a double take on the post, i was like. "did it say Deach?"

Aquila (strings)
Mango
name it after a song? o_0

as for me...
I couldn't think of a name so i named by dog Bunny. lol :biglaugh:

beeejums
03-25-2009, 10:13 AM
I can't have a dog where I live... but when we move, hopefully we can get a dog. I want to go get a small dog (maybe a chihuahua mix) and name it Danger.

Not uke themed, but eh.

ill-attack
03-25-2009, 10:35 AM
you should call him "Tuner", or "Lele".

haole
03-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Mraz.

Is it ten characters yet?

bornagainjeeper
03-25-2009, 10:56 AM
From ukulele underground:
Flea
Mele
Koa*** nice name
Formby
Deach hahaha oh lord...it would look all its hair and have supple teats
Iz
Fluke
Kamaka
Lele

My other list:
Stag (mmm beer)
Haole
Henson (as in jim)
Muppet
Marmot
otter (played out)
bear
griz
Kevin
meatball
odin
thor
bjorn
baron
Sqweezle (from a anthony bourbain episode where he asked what mystery meat they were eating the jungles of vietnam to which the guide replied i think in english you say "sqweezle" it was porcupine

fleadermaus
03-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Chunk
Grover
Tulip

bbycrts
03-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Jake. I always wanted a dog named Jake. It might fit a lab better...but it still works.

Captain Google
03-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Here's another suggestion: CMJ.

Or Buttercup.
Or even Ducky (who adores you).

Ahnko Honu
03-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Ukulele brands:

I second "KAMAKA" which means "the eye, or eyes (two or less "na maka" for 3 or more).
"MELE" means music or song,
"Pohaku" means rock, and
"Ohana" means family,
"Kala" (emphasis on "la") means "the Sun", but emphasis on "ka" changes meaning to a unicornfish. :rolleyes:
"Koa" is the native acacia tree but also means warrior
"Honu" of course is turtle :)
"Keli'i" means "the chief"
Kanile'a meaning kani - joyful, merry le'a - sound
Mahalo = thank you

bornagainjeeper
03-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Ukulele brands:

I second "KAMAKA" which means "the eye, or eyes (two or less "na maka" for 3 or more).
"MELE" means music or song,
"Pohaku" means rock, and
"Ohana" means family,
"Kala" (emphasis on "la") means "the Sun", but emphasis on "ka" changes meaning to a unicornfish. :rolleyes:
"Koa" is the native acacia tree but also means warrior
"Honu" of course is turtle :)
"Keli'i" means "the chief"
Kanile'a meaning kani - joyful, merry le'a - sound
Mahalo = thank you

thanks so much very helpful

03-25-2009, 12:30 PM
fyi: `uke (with kahako over the e) means "to swing" like a bat or big breasts.

mailman
03-25-2009, 01:21 PM
A uke name would have been cool for my dog, Pete. Wouldn't have mattered, though....by the time I got him trained he thought his name was "Dammit"! :D

How about Haoli (not sure of the correct spelling, but rhymes with "howly"). Then you've kinda got the Hawaiian thing workin', and a dog thing to boot....

Ahnko Honu
03-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Do you mean Hauoli: Happy?

or

Haole - Ha: breath, ole: without = without breath?

mctrmt
03-25-2009, 02:17 PM
How about "Martin"?

Can't you just see yourself at the dog park-
"Martin! MAAAAAAARTIIIIIN!!"

lisaxy424
03-25-2009, 02:34 PM
fyi: `uke (with kahako over the e) means "to swing" like a bat or big breasts.

LMAO...whaaaa?

Captain Google
03-25-2009, 02:34 PM

He probably meant the other Haole.

bt93
03-25-2009, 02:53 PM
i really like kala or koa

or another classy name is deach

deach
03-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Deach

lmao!!!!!!!!!!

bornagainjeeper
03-25-2009, 05:16 PM

or

doesn't that mean White person or foreigner...thats what i ment

deach
03-26-2009, 12:38 AM
"Kala" (emphasis on "la") means "the Sun", but emphasis on "ka" changes meaning to a unicornfish. ....

I thought he was going after these meanings.

1 v. to free, loosen, unburden, absolve, To forgive, a prayer to free someone from any evil influence.

2. nvs. Dollar, silver, money, cash, currency.

mailman
03-26-2009, 12:53 AM

or

I'm not sure of the spelling....I meant the word that native Hawaiians use to refer to mainlanders.

Ukulele JJ
03-26-2009, 01:57 AM
I'm not sure of the spelling....I meant the word that native Hawaiians use to refer to mainlanders.

Why would Jeeper want to name his dog "garbage (http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/hawaiian-hotel/1056148)"?

:D

JJ

ukulelefatman
03-26-2009, 02:47 AM
Here is a link to popular Hawaiian names..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_name

Ahnko Honu
03-26-2009, 02:55 AM
Haole = without breath. This word came to be applied to the first non Polynesians the Hawaiians came in contact with who were Caucasians first the British captain James Cook, and his crew, and later on the French explorer Jean-Francois de la Perouse, followed by American Whalers, and Missionaries.
There are many theories about why the Hawaiian called these first visitors Haole- "without breath". My Aunty used to tell me it was because the Haole had white skin so looked like dead people (without breath) to the Hawaiians. Another theory is that the Hawaiians did not at time of first contact have a written language but instead relied on a rich oral tradition and the ability of remembering and reciting their history especially there family history which was very important. These first visitors having written genealogies and histories did not need to keep this information in memory so when asked about their history these fair skinned visitors could not voice this information from their memories like the natives could (so they were considered "without breath"). I personally don't believe these are the true origins of "Haole".
In pre-contact times the proper greeting throughout Polynesia between two individuals was to approach each other, put their hands on each other's arms or shoulders, bow there heads slowly until they made facial contact (forehead and nose) and while holding this position slowly taking in a deep breath then slowly exhaling simultaneously thus exchanging each other's "ha" or breath as a sign of respect and trust, proper etiquette in Polynesian society. These new arrivals had a strange greeting custom of grabbing each others hands and shaking it briskly, they did not "exchange breath" as tradition dictated, they were "without breath". This name stuck to these new Caucasian arrivals who were "without breath". Eventually this term "Haole" came to apply to anything not native or "maoli" (maori in some dialects) including several species of trees (Haole Koa, Haole Kou, Haole Kamani, Haole 'Ohai, etc.) introduced into these islands. By the time Chinese, Japanese, Filipino emigrants started arriving in the islands the name Haole had already been associated with the first foreigner the Caucasian English, French, and Americans for so long that it stuck, and these other peoples though foreign too where given there own identities (Japanese- Kepani, Chinese- Pake, Filipino- Pilipino, etc.). I'm sticking with explanation #3 though I'm not sure if anyone today really knows for sure. :anyone: :D :shaka:

Haole today accepted to mean Caucasian. ;)

PS. Portuguese immigrants from the Azores Islands in the Atlantic arrived later in the Hawaiian islands in the late 1800s around the same time as immigrants from Asia, and they spoke a different language than previous Caucasians. They were also culturally different from the earlier arrivals so they then and now have a separate identity, and are usually not referred to as Haole. They also brought their super cool ancestor of the ukulele to the islands so they deserved a identity all their own.

mailman
03-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Ahnko Honu;

Thanks for the Hawaiian culture lesson! All I know is what I learned from Hawaii Five-O! :o I know little of Hawaiian culture, but would love to visit and learn more someday.

I'm with you on the third explanation for "without breath"....it just makes the most sense to me.

And, yes, that's the word I thought would make a great dog name. I almost had it spelled right, too. I was only off by one letter....

hoosierhiver
03-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Maybe,

mmmmmmmmmmmbop.

The Hanson Hound

haolejohn
03-26-2009, 01:39 PM
Ahnko Honu, Great history lesson for all da haoles:)
BTW I'm not really a haole, I'm ilikea or that is what Bu La'ia told me anyways. I always tell everyone that haole isn't nessecarily a bad term, it is the adjetive that comes in front of it:)

I'll never forget the first time I met my friend Dino on Maui. He greeted me in the traditional way with the breath and after a few times of greeting him awkwardly it became normal. I miss the culture that I encountered during my few years in Hawai'i. If only us haoles placed more emphasis on culture.

Now for a good dog name one must wait until they see the dog. I have only named one of my dogs before I saw it and that was my dautshaund who I name Otto Von Bismarck and call Otto. But stick with one or two syllables.

DeG
03-26-2009, 05:15 PM
When I lived in Hawai'i I had a Shetland Sheepdog (like a Collie but smaller) named "Ikaika" pronounce (ee-KY-kah). It means Warrior or the strength of the warrior. Unfortunately, he was a pansy dog, but still a cool name I think.:)

MisoHappy
03-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Jeecia
GCEA

You can actually go as far as you want, I heard about a singer, though I'm not sure of the spelling, who named his kids "Chord" and "Lyric"...no kidding

Oswegan
03-30-2009, 12:59 PM
How about Steve?

haole
03-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Deach is a great name for a puppy! Both are known for selflessly giving small brown gifts.

mailman
03-30-2009, 03:09 PM
And either can be trained by whacking with a rolled up newspaper....

Link
03-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Flea? You could teach him to jump. Maybe not so good for a dog's name though. :p
fLEA WAS GOING TO BE MY FIRST SUGGESTION. Haha.

Link
03-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Deach is a great name for a puppy! Both are known for selflessly giving small brown gifts.
Hahaha!!! Awesome.

deach
03-31-2009, 01:32 AM

LMAO!!!!

And either can be trained by whacking with a rolled up newspaper....
No, but I find that sexy. Is it true you always come twice?

mailman
03-31-2009, 11:26 AM
LMAO!!!!

No, but I find that sexy. Is it true you always come twice?

At least. Depends alot on who I'm delivering to....

DeG
05-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Here I am Jeepers!!!:nana: