London Calling!

FadaBullet

Reaction score
joestrummer4mohawk.jpg

Joe got his start busking at Underground stations with a uke. In fact, that's how he ended up with the name Joe Strummer. (His real name was John Mellor.) I saw him with The Clash back in 1982...one of the best concerts I've seen.

Last edited:
When the Clash did the UK tour to promote London Calling they had a local band as support at every gig. When they came to Lancaster, 23rd Jan 1980, my band managed to get the gig!! Joe Strummer stood with my girlfriend (now my wife of 28 years) at the side of the stage to watch us play. Even though it was 9 years before he was born it's the thing my son tells everyone about, he thinks it's the greatest thing I ever did. He's probably right :eek:.
Cheers,
Ian.

Saw the Clash twice as part of the best week ever in 1983.

Saw the Clash on Saturday at the Cape Cod Coliseum. Went back on Sunday for Elvis Costello on the "Imperial Bedroom" tour & back again on Tuesday for the Clash again who'd obviously read their lukewarm reviews for the Saturday show and absolutely ripped the place apart.

then on Thursday we saw Talking Heads at the Orpheum which was actually kind of meh. (it was the tour right before the "Stop Making Sense" one)

And all of this was still while I had a cast on my arm from getting a wrist fracture at a Dead Kennedy's show that summer in DC while thrashing around to Minor Threat. (I think it was Artificial Peace and Government Issue who were the other openers.)

Went back on Sunday for Elvis Costello on the "Imperial Bedroom" tour
I wish I'd seen Elvis back then. My ex-wife saw him recently with the Police (who I saw once in 1979 in a 1,000 seat auditorium and once in 1983 at Oakland Coliseum) and didn't even know who he was. What a waste.

Top Bottom