How to cut a nut (for idiots)

Valerie

Reaction score
So, the one time I ever stepped into a hardware store, it was to buy a mop- and I had to ask directions.

I say this so you know I know nothing about fixing stuff.

Anyways, my Lanikai uke has really high action. I adjusted it once by sanding down the nut- but after playing my two other ukes (with even lower action) it's hard to switch to the relatively higher action of the Lanikai.

I don't dare take the saddle down any farther, and know the nut is the source of the problem anyways. So: How do I cut deeper into the nut to lower the strings?

I tried sandpaper, but ended up just sanding down the sides of the string slots rather than the bottom (I stopped right away, and haven't tried again).

So, here's the question: what tool do I need (is it simply just finer grain sandpaper? I used the finest grain I could find in my Dad's shed, but maybe it goes finer? I don't know... or is there some special tool to buy?)

The easiest way is to use a nut file. The technique is simple. You file in a straight-plane, angled slightly downward towards the peg-head. The idea is to have the string resting on the apex of the nut slot, where the string leaves the nut at the fretboard. It's a wordy explanation, and probably not easy to visualize, but very easy to do in practice. I have an array of nut files, in various thicknesses, but all you really need is a single file.

Thank goodness, for a moment I thought this was going to be a Jackass-related thread.

You can buy a set of nut files from a place like StewMac but it's complete overkill for what you're trying to do (and at >$100 for the set it's also far from cost-effective, even if you can made do with one for $25). There are various DIY solutions...here's a link that suggests a few:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/65805-nut-files-feeler-gauge.html

I saw some NUT FILES on ebay for around $20. I don't know if they're any good 'cuz I didn't buy 'em (I used superglue instead).

But are you sure you wanna file the grooves deeper rather than taking off a few slices of the bottom?

Just figure out how much you need to lower the nut. Use a pencil to mark a line on the nut (whatever)distance from the bottom. Put a sheet of 150 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and rub the bottom of your nut across it until you hit the pencil mark.

Last edited:
Ha! Coffee-- You are brilliant!!! A very simple solution, but brilliant in it's simplicity.

Valerie,

You need to adjust action at the nut, before the saddle. If you've already done the saddle, be prepared to replace it if its too low (probably not, based on your statement about not wanting to take it down lower).

Higher tension strings will allow you to lower the action more. I pm'd you with some info.

-Aaron

I used an X-acto knife. Fixed the sucker right down again. Hurah! ...but I do suggest a file, too.

Top Bottom