NUD: Howlett Ditson Concert - Another Masterpiece

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
In December of 2013 when I got my Howlett Vita Uke I commissioned a tenor from Pete. However, over the last several months I've developed pains in my left hand that make tenor difficult. Even though Pete was finishing up the tenor he offered to make me a concert instead. We agreed to a Ditson styled concert - very simple - out of Koa.

I got it today. Once again - like the Vita - this one is a masterpiece. The build is perfect and the finish is gorgeous. However, its in the playing that it really shines. The uke is so alive, full sounding great sustain. Good volume. Sparkling highs.

A lot of builders come and go. Some get great reputations here. In my opinion Pete is among the best of the best. The two ukuleles that he built for me, both concerts, are on a par in quality with my Moore Bettah and LFDM. The crazy thing is that Pete's ukuleles are less than half the price. I think Pete is really under appreciated.

That is really beautiful, elegant simplicity of design. You certainly know your ukes and to rate Pete Howlett's ukes up there with others so expensive sure does say something. Very nice that he switched out the build size for you like that. Congratulations, the wood is stunning.

I love the simplicity of design.
Looks like there is absolutely nothing about it that does not have 100% to do with making music!
None of it says - hey look at me, I'm pretty.
Reminds me of people so beautiful they don't need makeup.
Is that bridge a string through top, or knots in the slots?
Just gorgeous!

-Vinnie in Juneau

The wood is stunning! I also like headstock. Definitely a lovely uke! (And I'm surprised that you're switching to concerts! First Jane mentioning she's switching from sopranos to concerts, now you switching from tenors to concerts ...)

My picture cut off the very top of the headstock.

I'm not switching to concerts. I have always played concerts more than any other size. I do have several tenors and have played a lot of tenor. Unfortunately, I get pains in my left hand - I don't know if it is tendonitis or arthritis. For the most part I have no problem with concerts but some tenors more than others, but all tenors to some extent, give me problems so I have to limit my tenor playing time.

Wow, what a stunningly beautiful uke, congrats! :shaka:

Very cool!

Congratulations Sherry! I've always admired Pete and his ukuleles. Your new concert is a beauty.

Jaw-dropping. I'm sure it plays beautifully, too. :worship:

Wow, what beautiful wood grain! If it plays as good as it sounds, holy cow!
Congratulations!

Gorgeous, congratulations. Mr Howlett sure is a master craftsman.

Last edited:
Congratulations, Sherry. Beautiful instrument! To me Pete Howlett is a bit of a European equivalent of Chuck Moore.

Simply one of the very best. A sound video would be great. Congratulations to yourself and Pete!

Top Bottom