So I Walked into the Music Place Today...

the flat tire

Reaction score
Actually as I was off today, I decided I was going to look at all the music places close to me, just to see what they had.
Quest for Ukulele (QFU) don't you know.
So anyways, at the first place they had some nice stuff, but I was looking for a Kanile'a tenor, which they didn't have.
At the second place, there was the usual stuff.
I say usual because I go in there like every two weeks; paydays.
Well I was got to talking to my usual salesperson dude and I say well, let me look at that Kamaka up there.
Turns out someone was jamming on it for there were tons of strumming marks on it!
Too bad I says, it was a nice one.
Being here in HI is an advantage as I pretty much get to see all kinds of ukulele. Kamakas are usually pretty bland, they save the nice wood for the deluxe models.
So anways, I says too bad about that Kamaka for it had a nice two tone book matched front.
Wait, says the salesperson dude. We just got some new ones in today.
Really? says I.
The first one I look at is really nice.
I mean really nice.
Vertical banding with great colors front and back.
Lemme see the other ones, I says.
The next thing I say is: I'll take that one.

DSC_2882.jpg

okay, that's enhanced by a studio light, but that's pretty darn curly for a standard HF3!
The other one (third one) was actually nice too, but this one sounded a bit louder and deeper.

DSC_2880.jpgDSC_2889.jpgDSC_2895.jpgDSC_2896.jpg

It was an expensive day, but a good day.

Last edited:
It's beautiful! Probably the most gorgeous regular (non-deluxe) model! Good find. :)

(If I lived in Hawaii, I think UAS would leave me completely broke.)

Thanks guys! as soon as he popped open the case I knew I found my Kamaka!
Check that one off.
By the way, please buy my KoAloha, now I really need the money.

nice, man!

Petey

Congratulations! That ukulele is beautiful.

I've noticed that some of the newer Kamakas have really pretty (and sometimes even curly) koa. I think maybe Kamaka has gotten into a batch of koa wood that's a cut above (pardon the pun) what they had been using.

Wow, you did good!

Congrats on scoring such a sweet-looking Kamaka! :shaka:

I bet it sounds great too! :cool:

Congratulations! That ukulele is beautiful.

I've noticed that some of the newer Kamakas have really pretty (and sometimes even curly) koa. I think maybe Kamaka has gotten into a batch of koa wood that's a cut above (pardon the pun) what they had been using.

it's sort of strange that the Kamakas I see here are of the plain sort. I've been checking the three or four most popular stores. Most of the nice ones I've been shopping are elsewhere like on the continent. I don't know if that's how they export them or what. The salesperson dude told me to just keep checking and it paid off.

Thanks again guys!

Last edited:
That is a beautiful uke, congratulations. Which store did you buy it from? HMS or something in Honolulu?

Pretty nice. I have stayed away from Kamaka for that PLAIN reason, seems there is no pride just making money off name. This one is very nice

Nice!

I'm Scottish and were known for being... ahem... thrifty. I would have asked for the price on the strummed scratched one. :D

Congratulations, you've hit the Jackpot! This has got to be one of the nicest "plain" Kamakas that I've seen. Even nicer than some of their Deluxe models.

Pretty nice. I have stayed away from Kamaka for that PLAIN reason, seems there is no pride just making money off name. This one is very nice

Took me a while to find this one, but they are genuinely well built instruments. The fit and finish are excellent; I've never seen a bad one.
I think the plain ones are just well, too plain.
Actually as I typed that I just thought boy, there's probable some folks that would be very happy with a 'plain' Kamaka!
I see them all the time, jaded is me.

Nice!

I'm Scottish and were known for being... ahem... thrifty. I would have asked for the price on the strummed scratched one. :D

The thought crossed my mind!
It was scratched up pretty bad though, and they were talking about sending it back to Kamaka to be refinished.

Congratulations, you've hit the Jackpot! This has got to be one of the nicest "plain" Kamakas that I've seen. Even nicer than some of their Deluxe models.

Thanks! I had given up hope of finding one that 'talked' to me; I had my eye on one of the deluxe models. Problem is I didn't like the rope binding though it is sort of growing on me.

WTG! Nice looking uke, congratulations!

Top Bottom