Picks - What materials work for the uke?

Mivo

Reaction score
I don't think I want to use picks regularly, but I'd like to explore various sound types and widen my sonic horizon a little.

Besides felt and leather picks, which plectrum types and materials are suitable for fluorocarbon strings? Also, how thin should they be? I'm looking at some picks made from buffalo horn that are described as being soft -- is that the kind of soft I'm looking for?

I have zero experience with plectrums. (Other than briefly trying felt ones when I first started out, but I quickly lost the thing!)

Do not fret over wearing out composite strings with picks. Strings suffer more by fingertips grinding them against frets -- repetitive wear in one location. I use all sorts of flatpicks on nylon and Nylgut strings and have broken none yet. I would advise against cutting picks from tin cans. ;) Otherwise, apply thick or thin nylon or teflon or bone or shell or whatever. No need to go soft unless you want a soft sound.

+1 for the wedgie picks. I have tried all kinds including leather, felt and plastic. To me the wedgies are the best sound on the uke.

I agree with the other recommendations for Wedgies. But I also occasionally like a Dunlop thumb pick or a Fred Kelly finger pick (for broken nails).

For strumming, if I want to use a pick rather than finger/thumb, I use a Jumping Cow "artificial felt" pick, as opposed to "real felt", which I don't like nearly as much. For melody work I use a thin Jim Dunlop nylon pick, an 0.46mm on my soprano, an 0.60mm on my tenor and an 0.73mm on my baritone.

It may seem "picky" (pun intended) but I really believe I prefer the sound of thin picks on thin strings and vice-versa :)

I've yet to try a "wedgie".

Obviously YMMV ;)

I like the Wedgie rubber picks. http://www.wedgie.com/rubbers.html

I have to buy one of these......just for the name.

Takes me back to my grade school days when you use to sneak up on a friend and give him a "wedgie". Yes I am sooooo juvenile :p

I agree with "kypfer about the Jim Dunlop nylon guitar picks. I have tried both the White=.046 and the Grey=.060 on my baritone and like the feel and the sound, brighter and crisper.

I keep a supply of Ernie Ball thin thumb picks around for when my right thumbnail breaks down to nothing (every couple months, like clockwork - I have the worst nails). I hated felt picks and never really could get the hang of flat picks, but these have saved the day numerous times. Never noticed any problem with them making my fluoro strings wear out faster.

Just go to the music store and buy a bunch of picks. For $10 you can get at least 10 picks and have a way better idea what you like. If you want gourmet stuff then it will be more, but cheap picks will help you figure out what shape and thickness you like best.

+1 for the Wedgie rubber picks. They produce a nice bright tone without a lot of pick click.

Top Bottom