Newb trying to tune.

CheshireFrost

Reaction score
Newb failing.
Okay. So I just bought a Hilo 2652
I'm uber excited but have no idea how to tune it. I've looked for video after video for tuning a ukulele. . . and I have failed to make mine sound anything like that. :(
So is it me? Or should I get new strings?
(I can't read music well if you say "something minor or major" or anything else that sounds complicated, I will get very very confused. Please elaborate):eek:

If you are looking for standard uke tuning then this sight should help http://www.get-tuned.com/ukulele_tuner.php

I would strongly sugest getting a tuner though, the sight will help you learn the notes and the sounds associated with them. Once you are familiar with both, a tuner is all you need to keep your uke sounding just right.

A few points about tuning.

When you hold your uke in playing position, the string order goes gCEA starting from the string nearest your face and heading down towards the floor.

When tuning, always tune up to the pitch. If you overshoot and tune sharp (a bit high) then slacken off to below pitch and take it slowly up again. Tuning is a bit more stable that way.

It is not uncommon for ukes to go a little out of tune very, very frequently - even between songs. This doesn't have to mean the tuners are faulty, it is very likely a combination of strings slipping and stretching a fraction, and friction on the strings at the nut (the grooved plastic bit near the head of the instrument). This wobbly tuning is somethig we learn to live with!

The site that waterguy suggested is what I have been using since I started playing the uke. Works great for me.

That tuning site is excellent, but some folks have difficulty matching sounds by ear. It can take a bit of practice. A chromatic tuner is foolproof.

Ukantor.

Tuning

Hi
I bought a guitar tuner, Tanglewood do one that's not too expensive. Mine will flash the coloured light for C when I strum open strings. You can start identifying notes with it. Get advice at your local music shop.
Get your self really good quality strings, Worth strings are nice and crisp (ukuleleshop) but Aquilla give a softer tone lots of players favour strings for a Concert ukulele on a Soprano some prefer Tenor strings. Remember when you tighten the tuning keys tighten the little screws so that the tuning doesn't slip if you have a geared machine head tighten the screws lightly. Stick with it don't get too disheartened tune and tune again every time you practice eventually the strings settle and will hold their tone.

A word of caution:- take care not to OVER tighten the little adjuster screws in the centre of the tuner knobs. They should be just tight enough so the tuners are still easy to turn, but do not slip. Enough is enough, too much can cause damage.

Ukantor.

Top Bottom