Pineapple (Pancake) Day

fretie

Reaction score
It's time for pineapple pancakes at my house! Com'on over!

I just got a terrific little Kamaka pineapple in the mail from UU member, Mattyukeaholic! This experience is an example of why it is so fantastic to stick with buying within UU whenever possible. Matt was awesome to deal with via email, his uke was in mint shape just as he described it and he even restrung it with brand new Martin strings when I said I was curious to know how they'd be on a Kamaka.

Many of you know that I have been waffling about which Kamaka to get after gifting my first Kamaka, a soprano also purchased here on UU, to a friend. I appreciated your suggestions and feel that getting the K pineapple was a good choice and that it fits well in my little quiver of ukes. Now you'll have to excuse me, I've got some pancakes to eat and a new uke to play!

Congratulations!

Since you now have both the KoAloha longneck pineapple and the Kamaka standard pineapple, how would you compare the sound of the two instruments? Does the KoAloha sound more concert-y?

Congratulations!

Since you now have both the KoAloha longneck pineapple and the Kamaka standard pineapple, how would you compare the sound of the two instruments? Does the KoAloha sound more concert-y?

Mivo, I find that the Koalohas just have there own distinctive sound, due, I think, to their light body, regardless of size of their uke. Of course my long neck does have that extra room for fretting which can be nice given the choice of pieces played. That said, at this point I am noticing, that if I just focus on the body resonance and volume as much as possible, it seems that the two pineapple shapes, Kamaka and Koaloha being just slightly different shape one from the other, come out quite similar.

There's some genius to using a pineapple shape body for a uke that is easy to fall in love with. I feel fortunate to have two pineapples in my flock of ukes.

Congrats fretie, I'll join you in celebration by playing my own Kamaka pineapple later today :)

Mivo, I find that the Koalohas just have there own distinctive sound, due, I think, to their light body, regardless of size of their uke. Of course my long neck does have that extra room for fretting which can be nice given the choice of pieces played. That said, at this point I am noticing, that if I just focus on the body resonance and volume as much as possible, it seems that the two pineapple shapes, Kamaka and Koaloha being just slightly different shape one from the other, come out quite similar.

Having owned both myself, I'd be inclined to agree with every word here. I can also add an additional comparison, that of the longneck Koaloha pineapple I previously owned vs. the longneck Kamaka figure-8 that is now my main player. Volume and sustain on both were pretty similar; the pineapple shape might have contributed to a bit more volume but not enough for me to have justified keeping both (darn it).

It's time for pineapple pancakes at my house! Com'on over!

I just got a terrific little Kamaka pineapple in the mail from UU member, Mattyukeaholic! This experience is an example of why it is so fantastic to stick with buying within UU whenever possible. Matt was awesome to deal with via email, his uke was in mint shape just as he described it and he even restrung it with brand new Martin strings when I said I was curious to know how they'd be on a Kamaka.

Many of you know that I have been waffling about which Kamaka to get after gifting my first Kamaka, a soprano also purchased here on UU, to a friend. I appreciated your suggestions and feel that getting the K pineapple was a good choice and that it fits well in my little quiver of ukes. Now you'll have to excuse me, I've got some pancakes to eat and a new uke to play!

Yay! Glad you love it Erin. It's always nice to know that a ukulele is going to be loved and appreciated. I know they're not cats but I always feel happy when they go to a lovely owner!! :)

Hey congratulations!

Congrats on your new Uke

Matt is ALWAYS a pleasure to deal with!
His ukuleles are exactly as described.
Ive purchased 4 from him now! :eek: and certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy or recommend.
(I missed out on this pineapple!!!)

So glad you got the Kamaka pineapple and especially from Matty. He is a great guy and that is a beautiful ukulele. Congratulations Erin and enjoy your new Hawaiian joy maker :D

Awesome news of your new Kamaka Pineapple! congratulations and enjoy making music with it!��

Thanks for your kind words chaps. I'm really glad it's gone to someone who will appreciate it greatly. I love Kamakas so much and these pineapples have an incredible sound. I seem to have fallen in love with baritones though!!

Congrats Fretie from BC!

Petey with his longneck Kamaka in Ottawa. hehe

Top Bottom