FS Gibson soprano ukulele , style 2 1950 vintage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strumsilly

Reaction score
I am selling what I believe is a style 2 from 1950 as the factory order number is 4642 35 which corresponds to the numbers they used in 1950 [3k to 5k] It also has the correct logo for that period.

It's action measures 2.75mm at 12th fret , no buzzing, and has room to go lower at saddle. I think it plays fine and has that mainland mahogany sound that seems to only come from vintage mahogany. I'll post a sample when I get time. If you are looking for a nice vintage player I don't think you'll be disappointed. Gibson didn't make many of these [as compared to Martin] so they are kinda on the rare side. There are no playing defects, it needs nothing. there are finish issues and some cracks. The top brace between the soundhole and bridge was loose and has been reglued, which should act as a cleat for the crack. The cracks are barely noticable in person, but show up well in the pics. I didn't want to mess with cleats as I didn't want to compromise the sound, which really is amazing. This uke almost is as loud when strummed aggressively as my Koaloha tenor!

Flaws:
Some kind of melted plastic on top. [this is on top of finish]
3 top cracks, 1 small one on edge near black smear.
1 side crack. There is no movement at cracks or anywhere else.
bottom brace visable from soundhole looks a little crooked, probably been reglued.
fretboard seems to have been stripped as I have not seen one this light.
back does not have crazing that top and sides do, so I suspect it has been re finished.
Small gap in soundhole purfling.
The rest of the binding/purfling is almost perfect[ besides the black smear ]
$450 plus shipping.
$250 plus shipping. the A string pulled out of the slot, so I made it a string through. see post 9
If you are on the fence, try it, If not 100% happy, just send it back and cover my shipping. 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Last edited:
Still available? International shipping?

yes,
yes, but I think it's pricey, about $70 USPS international, so about $520 total. Don't know what additional charges your country charges. send me a PM with your address if you want an exact quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom