Koaloha concert w/ Mi-Si active or Kamaka HF-3 w/ Fishman passive for strumming show?

fabioponta

Reaction score
Hi uke friends,
I have 2 ukes, a Kamaka HF-3 tenor with fishman passive pickup and a Koaloha concert with Mi-Si active pickup. Both pickups are well installed. I don't have a amp to test in my home, and I have to leave just one to play in a university music compositors show at Friday, with 500 persons, plugged.

Which one should I take, knowing that my music is a strumming?

Hi uke friends,
I have 2 ukes, a Kamaka HF-3 tenor with fishman passive pickup and a Koaloha concert with Mi-Si active pickup. Both pickups are well installed. I don't have a amp to test in my home, and I have to leave just one to play in a university music compositors show at Friday, with 500 persons, plugged.

Which one should I take, knowing that my music is a strumming?

Without knowing what type of system you are plugging into, my guess would be to go with the active setup. You will be sure to provide a strong signal. If the PA where you are performing is not able to use the passive pickup effectively then you will be out of luck.

Of course, you can always mic your ukulele!

Which ukulele do you prefer playing? I would let that be your guide.

Strumming vs. picking shouldn't have a whole lot to do with it. It's going to be more like PA system vs. uke.

Do you get a sound check? If yes, bring both and see which one sounds best. That's the best scenario. If not, see if you can procure a DI box/preamp. Then bring whichever uke you like to play best and regardless of the pickup, you should be able to get a decent sound to the board.

If the soundman is any kind of competent he should have the gear and be able to make either sound pretty great.

Top Bottom